A beautiful day !

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

A beautiful day !

Postby Mollysmom » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Crazy, but it was a beautiful day here in Florence Oregon !!
I went down to the beach because "they" predicted storms and I wanted to see the ocean when a big storm was blowing in - I left when it was sprinkling and by the time I got to the beach the sun was peaking out from the clouds and within 30 mins it was full sun and I was hot !! I'd bundled up thinking it was going to be cold and stormy, I even had Molly's coat with me, but we didn't need our coats -
Here are a few pictures from our day

The ocean

A chunck of cool driftwood

My litte Adventure Dog !!!

It was a really fun day - I suppose the storms will come, but I sure enjoyed the morning :D
Mollysmom

Re: A beautiful day !

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Just lost my whole, long and involved message while messing with it...no patience to re-write it.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures....some day I will share my experience about living in OR on the coast for a good part of the year.....when/if I ever get motivated enough to write the entire thing again! HATE it when things go off to gone-land......so infuriating!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Lotus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Trudy,
Sounds as though you are truly enjoying your time! I love the ocean and seeing your pix. The driftwood pix is cool.....it would be interesting to hear what folks "see" in the driftwood. I see a frog, a skull-like face (maybe "ET"), a little animal of some type curled up, an acorn, another face......and I could go on and on. The beaches that I go to are so different and you don't see driftwood such as this type.....or rarely. This is a real treat! Great pix of Molly. Maybe one day I can experience Oregon also!

Becky....Lotus
Lotus

Postby avalen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:01 pm

wow, what cool pictures, and that driftwood, ha! I see a glass topped coffee table :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm

great ocean shots and that driftwood is amazing. yepper,.... i'd love to see that as a table base. I'm glad you had a good day!
Cedar518

Postby snowball » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:35 am

The ocean is so pretty!! and you really take good pic's of it love that driftwood!! yeppers can see that as a coffee table or how about a lamp? big lamp yes but doable just not in a 5er
Thanks for sharing Trudy
sheila
snowball

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:13 am

I see a smiling, happy alien in the driftwood!

I have a redwood burl table made from a 4-6 inch thick slice from a burl (about 3 feet by 4 feet, in the shape of the United States, including FL, TX, and Canada) that I found washed up on the beach in Otis, OR in 1964. I had thought it was a trunk slice until I cleaned it off and planed it down to its beautiful little curly-cue grain things! I will try to get a picture of it sometime and post it.

Again, I LOVE your pictures! And your Molly reminds me a lot of my Molly, although my Molly has really weird fur!
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 am

Trudy.....You and I have the best places to spend the winter ;) .....I can see that you are so enjoying the shore there as we are here on the Gulf.....Molly looks like she is in her element...........Great photos!!!
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 am

I am trying a picture of my burl table from Otis, OR on here. I had to take out my back seat in my Mercury Comet to get this item back home here! It weighed a ton as it was water-logged, and covered with battering marks and sand from the sea. At first, I had thought it was a section from a tree trunk.

The flat side was where the original burl was sawed from a giant redwood tree to free it up. It was then sectioned (sawed) horizontally to eventually be turned into thin slices to glue onto plywood to make coffee tables. A guy I met from Weyerhouse out there told me of this practice, and said I had a mammoth find when that washed up on the shore!

We have used it in the party barn for 40 years as a coffee/card/dice playing table! It needs refinishing now, which I plan to do in the spring or next summer.

Notice how much it looks like a map of the U.S.!! The grain in it doesn't show well on this pic, but it's amazing with all its little curly-cues and patterns common to burls.
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Mollysmom » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Your table is beautiful ! Wow !!!
I'd love to be able to get a big old chunck of driftwood and make something but I don't really have the room here in the RV.
I did see some really cute little creatures made from small pieces of driftwood and I'm going to try to copy that - if I do, I'll post pictures. I've only found 3 small pieces of wood that would work so I'm still on the hunt :D
Mollysmom

Postby Liz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Beautiful pictures of the Oregon shore. Love the waves, and Molly sure was enjoying her romp on the beach!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to General Talk