Monday, Monday.

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

Monday, Monday.

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:10 pm

I posted Saturday, but the post went puff. Now can’t remember what I wrote. Hi Laura. Nice to hear from you.
Fefridgerste not fixed yet! Tomorrow will be three weeks. I am enjoying myself here in my trailer! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Re: Monday, Monday.

Postby Cudedog » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:16 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:I posted Saturday, but the post went puff. Now can’t remember what I wrote. Hi Laura. Nice to hear from you.
Fefridgerste not fixed yet! Tomorrow will be three weeks. I am enjoying myself here in my trailer! Lyn

Oh! Lyn!

This is news!!

You have made it to your trailer! Congratulations!!

How/when did it happen? So glad you are enjoying yourself!!

Do you still have your little dog?

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:39 pm

While we wait to hear back about Lyn and her new trailer and ramp, etc......
Judy, it has been 12 years since the group of us headed north to Alaska along the ALCAN highway. I think Nan and I may have stopped by one or two on our way back south but I mainly remember the pulling over into boondocking sites. Many of the Provincial Parks we stayed in on the way up were much more primitive that what we expect in our state parks. Most didn't have electric and none seemed to worry about folks wanting to connect to satellites. Mostly small sites with pretty trees.....and low cost. If we found electric is wasn't usually 30 amp but similar to household current. Similar to what we experienced in Baja several years later..... There are probably parks near the larger cities and tourist places that have invested in upgrading their sites and electric grids but many of those Provincial Parks scattered out in the boonie probably don't feel the need. We also seldom had any WIFI connection either unless you were sitting on the porch of the campground. Rustic Canada......wildlife and flies..... Solar systems are useful heading north or into any of the US forest service areas....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:21 pm

I am not completely moved into the trailer. The sewer got all connected yesterday! No ramp yet but Hazel (yes, Hazel And I are still together) an I are doing good on the steps! I am quite tired most of the time. Get up off the couch, do an easy. Job, then back to the couch to rest for the next job!
Karen, you seem to have made a good recovery from your horrendous fire. So nice to hear!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Tina succinctly gave good info on the Provincial Parks. I quite enjoyed them. But I do have solar and except in extreme temps I prefer boondocking and the more natural, the better.

Lyn. It's exciting to hear you are navigating into your tt even without the ramp. Hope it happens soon as well as the fridge repair.

I'm pretty well ready to leave for South Dakota tomorrow. Amazing how changing the mode of travel is so much work. I'm sure I'll be forgetting things and using extras I don't need. It'll definitely be a learning experience. Hopefully it'll work out well.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:43 pm

Tina, you are right about the Canadian campgrounds, and the interesting thing is that there are tons of campers around, even in big rigs. I seldom stay in a full hookup site in the U.S. and am usually happy with just electric, but these electric-only sites here are not cheap. Most cost at least $40 per site, which ends up being reasonable for me with the currency difference--about $30, but Canadians are complaining that they should get more for their money, and they really like U.S. campsites better, but they exchange rate makes them more expensive.

I think a lot of the problems with these provincial and national parks is due to poor design. For example, the buddy sites I am in here are pull-thru, and you can enter from each end. The problem is that the picnic tables are on the outside of the double driveway, which means most people park so that their doors are facing the picnic table so they can have a little privacy. Almost everyone has slides so that means there is only about 2-3' between rigs, and it also means that your electric connection will be on the wrong side, so you have to have a 30 amp extension cord. Luckily, most Canadians carry one. A lot of Americans don't.

I was in a provincial park in Ontario last summer where my electric hookup was in back of the next site, and there were a lot of trees between sites. In order to plug in, even with 50' of electric cords, I had to park my rig BEHIND the picnic table and grill, which was really tricky!

Last night, I had 30 amps hooked up, but blew a breaker outside when I had my AC and microwave working, which has never happened before. I had to bend way over to look under the box cover and flipped the switch, but it did nothing. Hiked down to check-in booth and they sent someone out. Turns out there was a second switch hidden under the hinge for the box cover. You could feel it if you knew where to look, but no way could you see it without unscrewing the cover!! A sticker on the box would have saved the ranger a lot of time because she said almost everyone missed that second switch, and she said the government was required to select the cheapest vendor and this was what they got!!

My elderly next door neighbors from last night had to move to another site for the next four days because their reservations at Jasper were cancelled. Their new site is at the far end of this campsite, which means they have a 2,000' walk to the shuttle stop which is shared with another campground. They did not think they could walk that far, so since I am closer to the shuttle, I told them they could park behind my rig during the day.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:18 pm

The Weather Channel has someone in Lafayette reporting on the storm. My son helped me move the motorhome and truck to Maurice. There are long lines in every gas station but I managed to get the motorhome in one to fill up in case I need to run the generator after the storm. I put the trailer, mower and golf cart up on the hill. I haven't talked to the guy that has cows here but I'm sure he will be moving them tomorrow. He will put the tractor and other things on the hill for me. There were trailer after trailer hauling cattle North. There was a traffic jam trying to get in to Abbeville. I have never seen that before.

In the morning I will have to pick up anything loose in the yard and load what I want to take to Lafayette. I will have to leave tomorrow afternoon because the storm is going to hit Wednesday morning.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cudedog » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:25 pm

Martha, thanks for posting. I had not heard of this storm that is coming at you. I'll go look it up - I do know where Lafayette is, having looked up storms coming your way in the past.

Good to know that you have everything "battened down".

Good luck, and stay safe!

(on edit): Yikes. Just checked, looks like Francine is looking directly at your area. Hope it isn't too bad. Please keep us posted as you are able, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby JudyJB » Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:00 pm

Good luck with the upcoming hurricane. I have been looking only at northern US and Canada places, so did not even realize a hurricane was coming. Sounds like you have things in control, at least.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Postby snowball » Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:28 am

Martha hoping that you will be ok... what do your kitties do??
dd came over and did the laundry she will go home tomorrow
other than that it was just a normal day
worked on the dish cloth... was doing other things on the phone so couldn't really check on
the pattern for the hat... I remembered the first step but not the second so it's check into her video and see what is next...
Lyn it's the fridge in the condo that is broken not the trailer right? hope you get the ramp done so so it's easier for you to get in and out of
have a safe trip Beth I always over pack and then forget stupid stuff like the charger to the lap top... so the one that I had to buy to replace the one I forgot stays in a bag that I always put my lap top into... enjoy you trip
I think we some times compare apples to oranges and that doesn't always work out...
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby Pooker » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:07 am

Stay safe, Martha. Sounds like you have great plans. Hope all of you who are traveling stay safe as well.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Return to Morning Coffee