King's Ranch

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

King's Ranch

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:29 pm

The story of King's Ranch is fascinating. And the ranch today thrives as it always has. Richard King, it's founder, purchased the first land for the ranch before 1850 for 1 cent an acre. The next large parcel he paid 3 cents an acre. Today - there are close to a million acres in Texas alone! King Ranch is famous for both the quarter horses they have sired and raised (including a triple crown winner) and for their cattle. They also plant many acres of cotton. When it started, it was necessary to be self-sufficient, as there was no where to get anything nearby. King's wife schooled their children, and began schooling the ranch hand's children. Before long, they built a small schoolhouse on the premises. They still have a school house today (the 3rd one) as they needed more room as the ranch grew. The ranch got it's first workers in the same place it got its first cattle. King had travelled to a small town in Mexico that was in dire straghts because of a drought. He purchased the cattle there. He was already a few miles out of town heading the cattle to Texas when he realized that these people were now in the middle of a drought, but if/when the drought ended, he was leaving with their only chance of livelihood. He travelled back into town and offered to any willing for them to come with him and be his first ranch hands. Many did (I believe they said between 100-150 came with). Many of the workers today are descendants of those first ones that came with him in the mid 1800's! Those people that came with became known as Los Kineños (King's People) and still today cowboys at the King Ranch are called Kineño cowboys (King's Cowboys).

King himself died in 1885 and his wife gave turned operations of the ranch to the man King had doing the bulk of the legal work for him and the man who was dating one of their daughters. Today, it's descendants of this daughter and her husband who still run the ranch. During King's lifetime, the ranch was called The Santa Gertrudis Ranch (see picture below of one of the buildings thus named) but his children and grandchildren later renamed the ranch in his honor.

OK - hope I didn't bore you too much. And I was unable to get any good pictures of the house (it's the 3rd house - the first was very tiny, the 2nd burned down - the third is a mansion (yes, still built during KIng's life). That house today has no one from the family living in it full time, but is ready at all times for any family member who desires to come visit or stay for awhile.

Some info on King's Ranch:

The visitor's center where we left on our tour:

One of the horses:

And the cattle:

These are some of the older houses available to workers (living on the ranch if they choose):

One of the newer worker houses:

Today this is the administrative offices (I forget what it was before, I believe a house):

Look very closely at this gate. This is called a Texas Bump Gate (Kellie are you proud of me?) If you look, you drive up to this gate slowly, and your bumper hits it and starts it turning. As you go through it comes around 180 degrees and closes behind you. There are several of these on the farm.

Kellie was sitting next to me on the bus:

We were very hungry by this time and asked a lady at the visitor's center about a good local restaurant. She recommended Lydia's, who would be closing at 2 - it was already after 1:30. So we headed into town and got to Lydia's where we both ordered the Friday "Mexican Plate" Special:

Those 2 plates have only ONE of our meals. Needless to say, we both needed to bring back 1/2 our lunch! Oh, they served chips and salsa before the meal, and I asked for guacamole with that. My entire bill with tax was just over $8. Yummy - and guess what my dinner tonight will be :)

Hope you enjoyed the tour of King's Ranch with me. And Kellie, please add in some of the facts I'm missing - like how many cattle are shipped off the ranch per week.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: King's Ranch

Postby Liz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 pm

That was a very interesting tour.....I love historical places like that. Thanks for taking us along.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Far from being bored, that was facinating. You might just have to do it again when I get there!
Sparkle

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Next time we're in the area, we'll have to go....Love places like this.... :)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Great pics and tour! Thanks...and love the new do, Beth!
AlmostThere

Postby asirimarco » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Another place to put in my file of things to see. Thanks for the tour and information.
asirimarco

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm

In 1985 we bought a horse from the King's Ranch and I went with my DH to pick him up. We got the barn tour, as that is the only tour my DH will take. To call the cows to feed they use a siren instead of a truck horn. Guess that was to keep cattle russlers from being able to drive up to a fence and call the cows.

My DH trained the horse and sold him as a three year old. He ended up with a lady in AZ and she liked him so much that she has called us several times to see if we had any horses for sale.

Thanks for the pictures of your tour.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby dcricket » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Excellent narrative and pictures. Yup...will go in my things to do places to see folder. Not boring at all. :)
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby mtngal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Oh thanks Beth, I've been wondering what this tour was like. Next winter (when I have my rv!) I want to see it out too.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Diana, did I miss a post? What happened to the offer you made?
Sparkle

Postby avalen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:09 pm

what a fun little tour, thank you for taking me along :D forum style of course.
Would like to do that tour myself some day.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby ohlucy05 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I used to live in Kingsville and I can attest to the neat trip. However, if you are there put 2 more spots on your tour: The Saddle Shop in downtown Kingsville (lots of neat memorbilia from the ranch - luggage that is indestructable (a little pricy) and in Rivera (about 17 miles) down 77 the BEST seafood in Texas. It is called the Kings Inn. It is on a farm to market road and on Baffin Bay. The food is served family style and it is VERY good.

The shrimp, oysters and fish of the day are great. But the tarter sauce, cocktail sauce and Alvocado Salad are the BEST (can you tell I love this place?) Family secrets to this day and worth the meal. It is worth the drive and it is great food. People from Houston and Dallas would helicopter in to eat here. The service is awesome. One of those gems not to miss.

Well, Texas has lots of neat places. I used to love to drive on the beach in the winter (not busy) and a great place to think.

Also neat places in Goliad (the missions) and Austin has some great places too. If you are down there it is worth the drive and the time to enjoy.

Port A and Rockport have changed lots from your pictures when I was there.

The people at the King Ranch are very nice people - I worked for one of the great grandsons many years ago. It is a fond memory for me.
ohlucy05

Postby Bethers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:50 pm

We did spend time in downtown Kingsville, and yes, the Saddle Shop is a must see. I didn't think I'd need my camera in the shop, so left it in the car - big mistake - as it was really neat to see the work being done. And, yes, saw several things in there I liked, but way out of my price range. Really beautiful work. Theirs and what they carry.

Will keep that restaurant in mind for when I really want to splurge. Maybe not this winter - but next time I'm back. I always want to know about those great places. Thanks!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

loved the tour. I think I'd prefer to live in one of those little white "old" houses rather than a newer one. thanks for taking us all along!
Cedar518

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 am

Oh, another wonderful tour. This is great.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Next

Return to General Talk