Less Seen Side of Las Vegas

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Less Seen Side of Las Vegas

Postby asirimarco » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 am

After putting the new tires on the Jeep - they were just screaming to be used so we oblidged them. Although I'm sure the jeep, Willie, himself didn't appreciate our trip as he had just been really, really cleaned and polished. Oh well such is life.
We met our son and his wife for dinner the first day we were here. The second day was spent running errands i.e. wash car, new tires, get watch fixed etc. and relaxing Sunday. Actually on Sunday I went out to lunch with a couple of women I used to work with in LA School district - they live here now too. Lots of catching up gossip. Any way by Monday we were chored out so I suggested in my infinite wisdom. Lets drive out to the town that is now coming back out of the desert as the waters from Lake Mead receed. So off we went - First through the Valley of Fire. I just love it there.
arches in the making
Road to St Thomas
Then we drove the dirt road out to St Thomas. When the Dam was filled the town had to be abandoned and the water of Lake Mead covered it. Now that the water is getting so low the foundations of the buildings are rising from the dead so to speak. Always wanted to go out there when we lived here but didn't soo......Well we finally got to end of long, washboard dirt road and found out it is a 2.5 mile hike to the remains of the town. I satisfied myself by looking. Where the valley is is where the town was.
After we got back to LV and the campground our oldest son (50) called he and his wife were coming into Sams Town. I'm ashamed to say when we found them I didn't recognize him - he is so old. His hair and beard are completely gray - my hair isn't gray yet! (He always had the most beautiful thick blond hair - the color you'd pay a fortune for.) When I first saw him I thought "That old man looks familiar" Then I got closer - oh my!
Going to meet them for breakfast soon then going to have dinner with them and youngest. I need to check his black hair for gray.
asirimarco

Re: Less Seen Side of Las Vegas

Postby Mollysmom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Awesome pictures ! What a beautiful area. When I hear "Las Vegas" I just think bright lights and big city ! It's fun to see the other side of the area - thank you :D
It has to be weird to see your children get "old" (I won't say 50 is old 'cause I'm 50 - HA) Of course I don't know your son, but thank goodness he's not dying his hair - Men seldom look good when they dye their hair !! Especially that terrible coal black - HA !!!
Enjoy your family - I'm jealous :D
Mollysmom

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:42 pm

I love those pictures - showing the terrain that makes me love getting "outside" of Vegas.

And I'm sitting here laughing about you not recognizing your son. Amazing isn't it - how can he have aged, when you have not!!!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Amazing pics Carol, as always! I can almost see those cowboys having a shootout among those desert rocks. I doubt I'd have been up for a 2.5 mile hike, either. What happened to the people whose houses were flooded? Were they relocated and paid for their homes? People in the Blue Ridge of VA had that happen too,... when it became a park. They were relocated down off the mountains,... sad for the older folks.

You and Bill take the most interesting tours!
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Love the pictures and the desert. I know exactly what you mean about your son - I'm not getting any older but my daughter sure is. :lol: :lol:
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

What interesting sights you do find. Thanks so much for sharing. I was in Vegas almost 50 yrs. ago, I know it has grown, but I don't remember seeing any of the sights you show us here. It was desert and cactus. We lived in Ca. so came from the west and went back that way. Which way is this located from Vegas?

I hope your trip is as interesting to you as it is to us in your photos. Your children , like mine will be catching up with you and passing you by in age. I don't feel the age that my children are, hope that keeps up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Safe travels

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I have heard for a long time about Lake Mead, and about its waters receding....but have never seen pictures of that area. Is it because they have opened up dams to feed water to CA, or what is the reason? I would love to see that city that's coming our from beneath its waters! I'll have to get myself into tip-top shape before I head out there! And go prepared with water, backpack, food, etc.!

I have actually never seen deserts....I mean I drove through them years ago, as fast as I could, with no stops but for gas. I had no clue there was such interesting history in them there sands! It is the total antithesis of where I live, and now, at my age, I would be very interested to visit those places and spend time there. Sigh-----perhaps next year will be my time!

Thanks so much for those pictures----all of you who post where you have been. It is truly wonderful to be able to see things sort of 'first hand' by somebody I am in contact with.

I loved that you had trouble recognizing your son! My kids will definitely be older than I am some day....I can feel it coming on! They are all aging, but I am either standing still, or regressing, I think!

Have a fun time with your family!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Liz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Great pictures...my list keeps getting longer, but that's a good thing...means I'll never be finished. I don't care a thing about visiting Las Vegas the city, but would love to tour the "Valley of Fire".
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Carol, did you tell your son what you thought when you saw him? Great "behind the scenes" pictures.
Sparkle

Postby asirimarco » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:40 am

Valley of Fire is on I-15 heading northeast out of Vegas towards St George, Utah. The lake is lowering due to lack of rain and snow and the extreme growth of the Vegas area. Over 5000 moving in each month.
Really checked out my son tonight at dinner, guess he really doesn't look as old as he seemed at first. He is gray though. And I'm afraid he did hear me say "Is that old man my son?" Also checked out my youngest (38) son's black hair, he doesn't show any gray yet. Neither did his dad until he was in his late 40s.
I love the desert - all the open space so ugly it is beautiful. The trees in Indiana seem to close in on me.
asirimarco

Postby snowball » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 am

Check out the west side of town as welll there is a mountain think they even ski there
I also like the valley of fire
very good pictures
sheila
snowball

Postby mtngal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Very lovely pics! I was so surprised to find that beautiful country along 15 on my way to Zion. So cool that you got OFF the highway to explore! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
Diana
mtngal

Return to General Talk