Cross-country skiing with Molly today

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Cross-country skiing with Molly today

Postby carold » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:18 am

My DH and I were near Reno one winter and decided to try skiing (in our 40's). We went up by holding onto a rope and and at the top you were supposed to let go on a level area, turn around and GO! quickly. My DH couldn'[t get turned around quick enough and started going down backwards, knocking a lot of people down. :lol: :lol: Suffice it to say, we weren't allowed back up. We still have a good laugh over it although probably the people knocked down don't have as fond memories as we do. carold
carold

Postby mtngal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:24 am

Beautiful snow pictures! I miss cross country skiing, there might be some snow in the mountains by the time I head back to CA.
Molly sure looks like she has the method down pat and clearly loves getting it too! Thanks for taking us on a virtual ski!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm

I can surely relate to the downhill skiing stuff! I never did master that at all, let alone getting up on the mountain via the lifts! More than once, they had to stop the lift to get me on!

One year, when I decided to take a year off from teaching, I bought a season's pass to our local mountain, Whiteface. It cost only 85.00 back then, and I could ski all day every day, no more money required. I really did have a great time skiing on what was then called 'EASY ACRES'....which later turned into a kids' area! At the time, they had their own ski lodge at the bottom, their own chair lift, which took you to the main lifts for the rest of the mountain, if you so chose to go there, and a huge lack of tourists who preferred the main mountain! It was sort of like our own private ski lodge----a good friend of mine and her young baby, whom we took turns baby sitiing in the lodge. I really had a great winter.

But that was it for my downhill skiing! I, too, tried to go higher on the mountain, and ended up sliding down the moguls on my rear, trying to hold my skis and poles!

Then, we got this place, in the middle of the Adirondack Park---400 acres with many logging roads and roads we have built over the years. Since we got the brush hog (HUGE tractor-hauled mower thing) I have been able to keep those roads and trails open for great cross-country skiing. (With a little chainsawing of downed trees each year!)

Basically, if you can walk, or snowshoe, you can cross-country ski. It is as slow, or as fast, as you want to make it. It's easier than snowshoeing, for me, and way easier than walking, as the sliding you can get makes it so much faster to cover ground! If you like snow at all, you would love cross-country skiing!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Shirlv » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:17 am

Soos, I keep coming back to look at your pictures. Your home is beautiful. I would love to cross country ski, the mind is willing but the body hasn't obeyed for awhile. Do you use the same skis to cross country as down hill sking?
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:29 am

Hi Shirl!

No----way different ski equipment for cross-country skiing, and way cheaper! If you can walk, you can cross-country ski on mostly flat ground, even if you have never skied in your life. I find it easier than snowshoeing, as you get a nice glide between shuffles that you can't get with snow shoes. Cross-country skis are way lighter than downhill skis, bindings are much different, and boots are made to clip or snap into the bindings. Poles are lighter, also.

One thing I wish I had was better/easier bindings. Although I upgraded my equipment a couple of years ago, my bindings are HORRIBLE to get into! I highly recommend bindings you can just 'step' into by stomping them closed. I have to bend down to clip mine shut, and, if there is even a granule of snow where my toe band is supposed to clip in, it won't shut! (Note to self----GET BETTER BINDINGS!)

I also like the waxless ski bottoms that have various 'gripper' patterns on them for going uphill. As I don't race, or need the speed you can get with waxes, I go for easy! In fact, for me anyway, slower is always better at this point!!

I do so love my place, too, Shirl! It's not an easy way to live here in the winters, but, when I can get out there and move around and see the wildlife with Molly, it makes me very happy.
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Nasoosie,
I was taught to use the tip of the pole to push the clip shut. I did a fair amount of Xcountry skiing in Alaska. It's a great workout, burns tons of calories.
AlmostThere

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:04 pm

I could use my poles to clip my OLD bindings....the 3-pin kind. But these new ones are nothing like that. I got them on sale for a wicked discount, and now I can understand why! They don't make them any more! Must be nobody could do them up! Sometimes I don't have strength enough or angle enough to close the darned things.

I will be looking for a new sort for this winter as soon as I find enough money! Trouble is, I will probably need new boots to clip into them, and I LOVE my boots!

Sigh..........
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Yes, mine was the 3 pin.
AlmostThere

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 am

Your pictures are beautiful I know that is a great feeling to go swishing through the area and see all the beautiful scenes you have before you. Now if you have a horse drawn sleigh would love to join you. As I said before I tried the ski thing, couldn't move for two days afterwards, every muscle in my body ached so much it even hurt to blink. So I will ride in the sleigh or just wave as you leave and wave to you when you return. (ha ha)
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Shirlv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Soos, thanks for the information. There was very little snow in Eastern Maryland last year so don't think it would pay for me to buy skis. I have plenty of fields around me to ski. This body doesn't need to travel very far for a workout. :) I will check Play It Again Sports and see if they have cross country skis at a terrific price.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Previous

Return to General Talk