Volunteering at Life on Wheels

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Volunteering at Life on Wheels

Postby oregontocal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:32 am

Jenny, what's the procedure for volunteering to work at Life on Wheels in Tucson?
oregontocal

Re: Volunteering at Life on Wheels

Postby pattyk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 pm

I thought I heard that Life on Wheels had been cancelled due to the founder's death.

But did you hear that Escapees Care Center is in need of a volunteer for the month of December and 2 volunteers needed starting on Dec 15th. I know you were planning on going there later but since the job at Amazon is over, I thought you might be interested.
Patty & Sammie, too
pattyk

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:55 am

I have not talked to Peggy Waterman about Tucson, so not sure if it is going on or not in March. I do not think there are any volunteer positions open yet but as soon as I hear something I'll let you know.

If you are an Escapee there are volunteer positions open for Dec in the Care Center in Livingston TX
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby oregontocal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:03 am

Hi, Patty and Jenny,

Thank you for the info about Escapees. Several months ago Dan, the Volunteer Coordinator, didn't think they'd need anyone until January. So, I just now emailed him offering my services from mid-December through January. That would work out beautifully since I'll be in Tulsa for a few days, and from there it's only a two-day maximum jaunt down to Livingston. Warmer, too. It got down to nineteen degrees last night here in Coffeyville.
oregontocal

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 am

As to LOW - I checked with someone I thought would know what was happening - and received a copy of an email that I have been told I can share. Unfortunately, it appears that Gaylord did much (if not all of too many things) himself - and without him there are no others to fill in those gaps:

The biggest problem with the program that Gaylord ran, was that he did all of the fundraising with the manufacturers and it was a very significant portion. Without that the costs would be very high and the program would not be feasible. It takes someone well kown in the industry to be able to smooze these people and get that participation. Gaylord had been looking for someone to run this program for several years, and had a few lined up, but they all fell through.

After seeing this email - I believe it's possible that Life on Wheels may not continue as it has been known in the past, if at all.

It only makes it more important that some of you learn how to run this website!!! Cuz if something should happen to me, I certainly want to see this all continue on - so this needs to be a priority sometime soon.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Thank you, Beth. It would be a shame if the program didn't continue.

I just received this email from the Volunteer Coordinator at the Escapees Care Center:

"Thanks for responding to the December need. We had a good response and all the spots are filled for both December and January."

So, I guess I'll go with my original plan after leaving here i.e. heading to Blythe, CA and Quartzsite.
oregontocal

Postby frankie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:26 pm

The home page (the only page) of LOW's website explains LOW's status, i.e., no longer in existence.

www.lifeonwheels.com
frankie

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:30 am

Gaylord had been trying to get someone else to take over LOW but the deal fell through, our first year at Lewiston went OK and our dear friend Linda Johnston said Gaylord was pretty worried at what was going to happen to LOW future. The death of Dave Balaria in Feb hit Gaylord hard....he was really sad. Dave and his wife Sandy were two of our best instructors and Dave was getting his lessons prepared for the March LOW in Tucson when he suddenly died at 60.

With the gas prices so high alot of the instructors were feeling the pinch and wondered how they were going to keep coming to the LOW's.
Dan & I first met Gaylord and Margie Maxwell in 2000 at the Moscow( Moss-coo)Idaho LOW, by 2006 we were on Staff. I helped with Parking aand registration and Dan was parking everyone and now a driving instructor.http://www.rvschool.com/course.htm
Gaylord was a great friend and great Boss.....he always bought us lunches while we were working and did not make us pay for our tuition after we graduated in 4 yrs. Sweetest Man I know and his shoes can't be filled because Gaylord did so much by himself! Getting all our sponsors was Gaylords doing, noone else. March and July will feel so odd not doing LOW.

We honor you Gaylord......he's probably up there in heaven with Dave teach angels about RVing!!
Hopefully I will see Margie soon, she is suppose to come down to Yuma. She has a park model here in one of the parks and a home in Idaho ( that's HUGE...over 4,000 SQ feet!!)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Return to General Talk