Montezuma's Castle and Well

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Montezuma's Castle and Well

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Can you see the house above the golden tree?

There it is.

Going down these steps was fine. Coming up....?

The water, 76 degrees winter and summer flows in through cracks at the bottom of the well. For over 1000 years it has been constant. The water flows out through rock at exactly the same rate as it flows in. The Sinaqua Indians cut a channel with stone tools 3ft deep and over a mile long to irrigate their crops. the water is still used today. This was done from 975 to 1200AD
Sparkle

Re: Montezuma's Castle and Well

Postby Carolinagal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Sparkle, I am so glad you got your pictures on photo bucket and out to us. They are so interesting, this is the kind of place I love traveling to see. I would make it down the steps fine too, but a big question mark as to how well I would do going up :lol: It sure would be worth the effort though. Thanks so much for the pics, you did a really good job and Yes, I did see the house above the yellow bush.

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Amazing place and great photos! Did those steps lead up to the house on the cliff?
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:56 pm

No, the steps go down to the bottom of the well where the water flows out underground. Then you go back up the steps and down another path to The Outlet where the water flows out again. I'd love to go back there when there isn't a busload of kids around. It was a magical place.
Sparkle

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Loved the photo's! We went there back in 1999 I think, I remember we had the 5th wheel then. Interesting place for sure.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Mollysmom » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 pm

Great pictures !
I love how the water has been the same for so long - just amazing !
Thanks for the pictures
Mollysmom

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Oh,... I love those pictures,... if those walls could only talk!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm

ohhhhh Sparkle, thank you so much for those pictures, I always wanted to go there
but some idiot here in town told me not to bother that the well was dry. Guess he
was wrong, now I want to go there! cause it looks really neat, and definately NOT
a dried up well.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Wow!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 am

really good pictures Sparkles!!
Enjoyed them.
Thanks sheila
snowball

Postby Nasoosie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 am

GREAT pics, Sparkle! You are really seeing some amazing things out there! I am wondering if the temperature of the water in that pond stays at a constant temperature all year, too? Or does the exposure cause it to fluctuate? The well is amazing! And the fact that so much work went into accessing that well water to use it is a testimony to the intelligence of mankind!

Thanks so much for posting these pictures. Another spot for me to make a note of that I wish to visit some day!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Sparkle » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:02 am

The water that comes into the well from the bottom is already warmed by ...what? the heat from the interior of the earth? Hmmm, don't know. Anyway, they have had divers go in and there is no evidence that the water level has ever changed. What amazes me is the balance between intake and outflow! That's a natural phenomenen. Also, there was a timeline in the museum. While the Sinagua Indians were hacking out that channel with stone tools those magnificant catherdrals were being built in Europe. And just think, we are space travelers, albeit somewhat limited as yet, and there are still Stone Age tribes in the world.
Sparkle

Postby asirimarco » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Again great pictures - love that area and the blue sky and red mountains. Was there a fire near by? We flew down 40 yesterday and saw lots of smoke from the south.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk