Cottonwood, AZ

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Cottonwood, AZ

Postby Sparkle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Trudy, I found the Cemetary.

This one reminded me of Boothill

Forgotten, no name

Someone did some work on this one. There was the iron piping all the way round, a conrete covering, and an old broken cross. The letters were so faded I couldn't see a date.

This one looks as if a gate had been placed over the grave. I would imagine to keep out animals. I was warned to keep Shona in because there are so many Coyotes around, and they weren't kidding!

I thought of OliveOil when I saw this on a hike

I can see why its called Cottonwood. the whole valley is filled with mature Cottonwood trees. A blaze of color.

The Verde River, sans Agua

I had to stop myself from gathering rocks, ala Lucy in The Long, Long Trailer.
Sparkle

Re: Cottonwood, AZ

Postby asirimarco » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Really neat area - lots of Indian ruins out of Sedona you can drive to and beautiful scenery.
asirimarco

Postby avalen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:29 pm

ahhhh, cool
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Sparkle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I was in Old Town, cottonwood and glimpsed this courtyard. Its a Motel. I'd love to live there.

I also went to Tuzigoot Monument. I loved it. They had a good life, comparatively speaking. There was water, plenty of food, cotton, corn, beans, deer, ducks. they traded with other tribes. I went around choosing which room I would have lived in.

How the interior of one of the rooms would have looked

I don't know when I'll leave here. I'm really happy here. I was going to go to Jerome, but instead, because I enjoy places like Tuzigoot so much I'm going to go to Montezuma's Castle and Well tomorrow. I'm in no hurry.
Sparkle

Postby Mollysmom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Great pictures :D
I did like that area - it was too hot when I was there (August) but I bet it's wonderful now !!!
If you see the restaurant Hog Wild, my Aunt and Uncle live right across the street - That's the crazed man with 2 Jack Russells and one armed cousin - my Aunt is ill or I'd have you stop in for a home cooked meal, she's the best cook ever !!!
Sedona is a nice day trip, it's really beautiful country and it's fun to browse the shops.
My cousin took us artifact hunting several times and we also went "bullet shelling" - that's when you go to the firing range and pick up spent shells - my cousin takes them to the recycling place for cash. If you want a tour guide I can contact my cousin Paul and he'll take you artifact hunting - I say he's crazed, but he's OK now - maybe not by regular standards, but by Anderson standards he's pretty OK - HA !!!
Mollysmom

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Ah, Sparkle, I'm so glad that you got yourself to a spot you like - after the last that you wanted to leave. And I can certainly see why you like it. Love the pictures - and that's a town in AZ I've never been to - will be adding it to my list.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 pm

sounds like a really neat place to visit...I'm like you I liked that courtyard. Great Pictures thanks for sharing
Sheila
snowball

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:46 am

Love those pictures Sparkle! Especially the ones of the ruins,... ahhh.. wonder what everyday life was like back then. I would have wandered around too,... always think like you did,.."which room would be mine".. :D
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:48 am

Sparkle, LOVE the pictures.

Trudy, I'm pretty sure taking Indian artifacts is illegal. And so many areas have been stripped clean of their history.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Mollysmom » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 am

I know it's illegal to take artifacts from certain locations - I don't know if it's illegal everywhere. We just found small pottery shards and arrowhead pieces. I wouldn't take things from a designated park or monument - the stuff we found was out in the desert - public lands - we found stuff in Dead Horse park but didn't take them, it's just fun to find them. I did take rocks though !! I always have to take a rock :D
Mollysmom

Postby Liz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 pm

That's a really interesting place. I love to poke around historical places and imagine the inhabitants. Beautiful cottonwood trees too. I don't blame you for staying a bit. Thanks for all the pictures. Looks like you're having great weather too!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Carolinagal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey Trudy, hope you're taking wee little rocks, ever see the movie, the Long Trailer with Lucy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carolinagal

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:39 am

I'm with you on the rocks. There are so many pretty ones and I too, have a hard time restraining myself.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to General Talk