Oklahoma City National Memorial

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Oklahoma City National Memorial

Postby asirimarco » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 pm

While in Oklahoma City we went to visit the National Memorial. Doesn't seem possible it was over 13 years ago. Very somber and beautiful place.
BeforeImage
AfterImage
Gates of Time - west gate 9:03
Reflecting Pool
Pool with Field of Empty Chairs
The Journal Record Building with its mangled fire escape - the windows are painted black brick to simulate the broken glass
Writing on the wall of Journal
The Children's Area - people can write messages here
Ceramic tiles of messages and hand prints
Fench around outside
Last edited by asirimarco on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asirimarco

Re: Oklahoma City National Memorial

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Wow. Very impressive memorial. And, no, it doesn't feel like it's been 13 years.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:22 am

Wow, it's been 13 years? Where did those years go?

Thanks for these pictures...I have never seen that memorial, even in any periodicals. It's very impressive. And very sad.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 am

Carol, you find the most interesting places,... but in this case, sad. it's nice to see that there has been a memorial. I didn't realize a memorial had been built. doesn't seem possible it's been that long all ready. I remember it on the news. Thanks so much for showing us the pics of the memorial,...
Cedar518

Postby oregontocal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 am

Carol,

Thank you for the pictures. Margie told me I should really try to see the Memorial on my way back to California, and it will work out just right. I'll visit my friend in Wichita, then head straight down to OK City, then over to see another friend in Santa Fe.
oregontocal

Postby Liz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 am

They did a beautiful job with that memorial. Thanks for posting the pictures; I have never seen photos of it before.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 am

Carol, thank you for posting pics of the memorial out there, I did not know it was so involved. I knew of the chairs, but that was about it. I must go there one day and pay my respects, another very sad and horrible day for our country. Hopefully the extent of this memorial helps the survivors and families some. It all looks so beautiful.

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby SeeyaGal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:06 pm

The chairs were the idea of one of the little boys who lost his Mother, he said he wanted to sit there to think of his mother, and be closer to her. So the lighted chairs were put there in rows for how many people died on the different floors. Smaller chairs were for the children lost in the daycare.

In one of the rooms you see Memorials and photo's of the lives lost, tissue boxes were everywhere because you could not help but shed a tear seeing all the face's of the people and especialy the children lost to this tragedy. In one room you hear a actual recording of a meeting and when the building was hit....very chilling!

My brother who lives in Oklahoma City refused to go through the memorial because it hurt too much to see everything.

There is a plaque that also says the names of the survivors.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Excel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 pm

When I found my RV on the internet, I contacted the sellers who lived in Shawnee, OK. and we discussed all the things one needs to know about buying something sight unseen & buying a class C motorhome that you don't know anything about & have never even driven one....
After deciding to fly there to pick it up, they offered to pick me up at the Oklahoma City airport. As I had never been to Oklahoma, they suggested taking me through down town & showing me the sites & eventually they asked me if I'd care to stop at the Memorial. I said that would be very nice as I didn't really know what to expect. Needless to say I was speechless....I've been to Pearl Harbor, I've seen the Arizona, the graves & the crosses and
I've been to Wash. DC & seen Arlington & all the history there ... Everyone probably has their own words to describe their feelings when visiting such places...but one can't help but be overcome with sorrow at the loss of so many lives....and that's the same feeling I had going to that memorial. It's hard to put into words...but the people of that city did the best they could to honor their loved ones and created a 'reminder' lest we forget......It is a place to visit.....
Excel

Return to General Talk