Never, never take 89A

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Never, never take 89A

Postby Sparkle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm

I pride myself on how well I treat my brakes. Today I used up five years of braking power. I was on I-40 heading East and took 89, then 89A through Jerome to Cottonwood. Even though I was in low gear there were tiomes when I was almost standing on the brake to get round sharp downhill corners. I stopped at a Viewpoint - thank heavens - and found my brakes were smoking! I had to sit for half an hour to let them cool off, and I still had eight more nerve wracking miles to go. Anyway, made it and I'm in Dead Horse Ranch State Park.
Why Cottonwood? Well about a month before DG died so unexpectantly he said he had traveled through a town he thought I would love. That we should retire there. It was called Cottonwood, in Arizona. duly noted, but of course we never got there. Four years later my son is visiting me and asked if I had ever been to Cottonwood? I told him, no, and told him what his Father had said. He was amazed and said Cottonwood kept popping up all over the place, reading, conversations, TV. He said he felt a need to go to Cottonwood. So DH, I'm here! You can stop nagging. I'll explore it tomorrow.
Sparkle

Re: Never, never take 89A

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Sparkle, probably a dumb question, but do you downshift to use the engine to assist in braking?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Sparkle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Yep, I was in the lowest gear possible. Now the road did say no vehicles over 40ft. But I figured the TT at 30ft, then the truck, well surely that was a seperate measurement? I've taken roads before where it said no trucks, but never anything like that. I won't be going back that way.
Sparkle

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Hey Sparkle,
I was in Cottonwood and stayed in Dead Horse Ranch State Park in late August. It's a really neat park, there are lots of Native American artifacts in the desert (I think it's probably illegal to take them, but we did take arrowheads and pottery shards) There's a little burial ground along one of the roads in the park. My sister saw a bobcat while she was visiting me and we all saw lots of lizards and quail. Lots and lots and lots of skunks so don't leave any food outside at night and look before going out in the dark.
And yeah, never ever go down 89A !!! That road is a "B" with a car !!!!!
My Aunt and Uncle and Cousin live in Cottonwood, just about a mile from the park so if you see a slightly deranged man on a 3 wheeler with 2 Jack Russel terriers, that's my uncle Richard and if you see a one armed, slightly deranged guy, that's my cousin Paul ! They're nuts but nice :D Kind of describes my whole family !!!
Oh and one other thing, you aren't suppose to leave your dog in your camper if you aren't there so be sure they don't know or if they do, talk to one of the Rangers and ask for a break - that's what I did and it worked.
Have fun and watch out for rattlesnakes !! I was always scared I'd run into one - I never did !!!
Mollysmom

Postby Liz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Certainly sounds like a colorful place...can't wait for your assessment, Sparkle. And pictures, please.

Oh, and I've "smoked" my breaks a time or two too.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby oregontocal » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:18 pm

You took THAT road we warned Trudy about earlier? Geesh--I had a hard enough time maneuvering 89A in a small Nissan Sentra! We went in opposite directions as I was driving north from Prescott to see what all the fuss about Sedona was about. Must have gone right past Dead Horse Ranch and Cottonwood.

I'd love to hear about Cottonwood.
oregontocal

Postby avalen » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:18 pm

:lol: once again Sparkle lives up to her reputation :lol: where would we be without
her wild stories
now, on the serious side, I'm so glad you made it safely in one piece
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Sparkle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Boy I have a lot of things to look out for, deranged one armed men on three wheels with two Jack Russels. Check. I let Shona the Calico out and a guy came running over and warned me about the Coyotes. I scooped her up and put her back in. He was right. There are a whole herd of them out there tonight, yippy kaying away.
So Liz, you can smoke your brakes and live to tell the tale? I thought I was going to have to get brake work done. They seem to be working fine, not squealing or anything.
Sparkle

Postby dpf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Oh Sparkle...the Travel Channel should really send a film crew out to follow you and your rving adventures! I am sure that it would be a prime time comedy/reality show hit! :P
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:58 pm

Sparkle, I'm so glad you're safe, and I hope I remember that that's a road I want to avoid. Although, I've got enough people upset when I go 25 mph on roads like that - and go into low gear. Oh well - I don't even mind when I make them mad anymore :) And in your case, I just like to hear your exploits - and then hear that even tho you are just fine.

Looking forward to you getting here - and then getting us together with Lori and Ernie - that should be something. So far, they haven't made it down to Port A - but we'll get them here.

Do you play poker? If not, I might have to give you a crash course - cuz I play every Sunday night - and it's a blast - even if I haven't won yet. 5th place tonight - which of course means nothing - other than I beat out 20 some others to get there.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 am

Sparkle will have to remember that road put it on the do not drive towing list.
Glad you are safe and sound
sheila
snowball

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 am

OMG! I have been on THAT road, DH thought we'd go on a fun day trip to Jerome or else Precott not sure which and we took that road in the Jeep and I tell ya I wanted to shoot the man! You got me out here in nowhere's land...God forbid someone doesn't come from the other direction or you hold your breath that ya both stay on the road! We didn;t see anyone so we were the only knuckleheads out there!
DH loves to do that with the Jeep...I try to find a excuse not to go!! Glad I didn't have to go pee, I'd have to find the largest tree around!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby oregontocal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 am

At least you just had the jeep and not the motorhome!
oregontocal

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:36 am

OK,... I've read this whole thread and now i've got chills,...guess i'll stay in the east where our hills are a bit more forgiving! Sparkle I'm sooooooo glad you made it safely. Whew!
Cedar518

Postby asirimarco » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 am

Know that road well - have friends and relatives in Cottonwood. The first time we ever took that road was in the early 70s, at night,in December, in our first motorhome (it was only 24 foot), with our 5 kids. Not a sound from the kids the whole time we were on it. Afterwards there were plenty of sounds from me. The last couple of times we were on it it was in the jeep. Really neat place to visit during the day.
asirimarco

Next

Return to General Talk