Geneology

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Geneology

Postby snowball » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:32 am

Haven't been able to get on for awhile in order to post getting old and can't remember my password. But here I am for tonight. Enjoy doing geneology you are lucky when you can find the stories along with the names but that is so hard to do. Like Janice have people still looking for..those brick walls that creep in and haven't been climbed yet!!!
Fun to talk about thanks Sparkle
sheila
snowball

Postby Fernie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:14 am

I have worked on my family history for fun over the years but do not have it organized, which I really need to do. To me, there is something special walking on land where I know my ancestors were 300 plus years ago. or even 150 years ago. The most awesome for me was Christ Church in Middlesex, Co. Va east of Richmond where they were in the 1650's.

Shirlv---you mean I can't talk about my great-grandfather who was a Free Methodist minister in southeastern Illinois in the late 1800's and he ran off with his piano player and left my grandmother to raise two girls. She remarried and had my Dad. She was also 16 years older than my grandfather----she robbed the cradle!!! LOL I also had a cousin who couldn't preach unless he was drunk and then my Dad's first wife ran off with the preacher's son!! ROFL!!!! Oh ---and then there was my great grandfather who divorced his wife to go to Alaska gold mining. Didn't make it but ended up in Idaho potato farming. I have a letter he wrote to my gf from there in 1902. ROFL I just laugh about it. My bad stuff must be in the genes!! ROFLMBO
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Postby Shirlv » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm

hummmm, Fernie, knowing you and reading about your ancestors I understand a lot more. lol Some things run in families :lol:
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Gentleladybear » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:14 am

My family as a whole has been working on geneology for years. The DuBose family, original French name was DuBosc. Several family members did traces and we would come together in Charleston SC and put the pieces together. The puzzle came together, the family came from Diele, France. They were French Hugenots that left France, fled to England. In England if they pledged allegiance to the King they were granted land in the Carolinas in the new world. So the original grandfather and grandmother did and came to Charleston SC. But the British actually used the French to become buffer zones between them and the Indians outside of Charleston. LOL

We found 300 year old documents at the historical society that beared their signatures, my grandmother's wax seal was still whole and her signature very readable.

The family grew and propered in SC but when the civil war started one son came to Florida to get away from the war, and settled in the area I live in now.

One of the most exciting things was that one cousin found a name on the internet and sent an email. As it turned out it was French cousins who had been looking for the American connection. they were so excited and have been sharing information from France with members of the family. Some of the family are going to fly there to meet them next year.

So geneology can fun and exiting.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Wow, Nan, that is exciting!
AlmostThere

Postby Shirlv » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks for the post Sparkle, I was not looking forward to winter and with the economy so awful I figure I will be house bound. I think I will drag out the box with all my stuff and pick up where I left off.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Previous

Return to General Talk