Geneology

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Geneology

Postby Sparkle » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Are any of you into Geneology? I have done it on and off for years, but suddenly got a renewed interest in it. I started out again with ME. I don't just want a list of names, I want to flesh it out so I've been going online and printing out information about the different places I lived. If my son ever wanted to take a trip to Scotland or England he could follow in my footsteps. Then I'll work backwards to my ancestors. I've never been able to find my Grandfather on one side, but I have his medal from WW1, and seemingly I can go to The Army Records and find him that way.
Sparkle

Re: Geneology

Postby asirimarco » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted on how it goes. My cousin has made a family tree on my fathers side but no information about the people. I have a letter written by my Mother's father when he landed in the US from Sweden, but haven't been able to locate his name in Ellis Island site - haven't tried really hard either. No longer have any relatives on either side older than me - wish I'd done something a long time ago.
asirimarco

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:31 pm

I've got a lot of my tree back to late 1600s. But a couple dead ends,... due to adoption of my maternal grandmother. It's really interesting,... I've got to get it over onto decent paper,... it's on sheets taped together right now. i have a program called Family Tree Maker, but don't have time to use it.
Cedar518

Postby calicogirl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm

I do genelogy and I love it. I have done both sides of my family and also my
hubby's. I am still finding a few blanks that I am filling in. There is no end.

Calicogirl
calicogirl

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Cedar,
Word of caution; I used The Family Tree Maker software and at some point I checked the wrong box or some such and when I printed out the text it had allot of my relatives as being 'step'. I looked and looked but couldn't find where the mistake took place so it pretty much ruined my entire months and months of imputting info into the software.
My nephew has been doing our family history for nearly 40 yrs and has went back on my Mother's side to the year 442 AD! I think the French kept good records.
AlmostThere

Postby Getupngo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 pm

I was an avid genealogist before my husband died. I do live in Salt Lake City, home of The Mother Ship of genealogical libraries, so doing research here is quite a bit of fun.

BTW, I'm still looking for my grandfather, so if you happen to see him, let me know!! :lol:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:29 pm

What's he look like :D
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:11 am

My Aunt's grandson did alot of work and traced my Dad's side all the way back to France, our name is Poche' ( Po-Shay) and my mothers side was traced back to England and alot on my maternal Grandma's side were Mormons. My Great Great Grandpa Issac Riddle discovered Pine Valley near St. George. Utah ..alot of my pioneer relatives are buried in Provo Utah. I had a blast finding them last year and finding where Pine Valley is knowing GGGrandpa Issac helped Ebenesor Bryce ( Bryce Canyon was named after him) to build the church there. Found the historical marker where Issac's saw mill was. Geneology is fun to read about but lordy I would not be living in that era. Can you just imagine what our ancestors must think of our travel trailers/ 5th wheels/motorhomes compaired to their rickity covered wagons!!! I have a washer/dryer on board and don't have to wash and scrub them on a rock in the river with lye soap that you had to make first or try to cook out in the middle of nowhere hunting down wood or dried cowchips with the coyotes howling close by and only the open wagon for protection.

Mighty glad I live in 2008 not 1808!.....I'd never survive the first day....is this how the show Survival started? :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby oliveoil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:20 am

I have been into geneology for many years----------& have traced my family back on my Mother & Father's side---
And what I have enjoyed is I have kept records of when my Great Great Grandfather on my Dad's side traveled West & homesteaded in Kansas & was one of the first settlers in Kansas--------They owned an Inn along the Stage Coach route & I have tried to keep all the old stories alive about the family & when they moved to Kansas-----& owned the Inn.
I don't enjoy a bunch of names on paper back to the 1700's as much as the stories I have been able to find that family has passed down from family journals!
I also have kept recipes from three & four generations----------
I put together a book of the family tree & family stories & also old family recipes a few years ago-----& sold at the family reunion to build our bank account for the family to be able to have money for new fencing for the family cemetery & have money for reunions---- etc.--etc--------- I need to update it with the new arrivals in the family & marriages in the family in the past 5 to 7 years now!!!
I have also been the one to plan & pull off the huge family reunion each year & keep updated all the names & addresses & phone numbers- etc.etc------ & I passed that job to my daughter two years ago!
oliveoil

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 pm

I'm so glad I posted about Geneology...nothing to do with RVing, but what great stories you all have. Maybe this will inspire a few more of us. I have the book, Geneology Online. I'm going to review it today .
Sparkle

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Janice,..... I think that might have been your grandpa that just snagged a couple of bottles off the wall and took off headed south on foot! :D He said to say hi to you! hee hee.....
Cedar518

Postby Shirlv » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:57 pm

Sparkle, my story. I sent to the archives in DC for my great grandfather's war record. My husband thought the whole thing was silly, "did I think I was realated to a king".I received a huge packet and in there was stated my GGF was arrested for desertion. I thought my husband would roll off the couch laughing. I could have cared less about the king but I wasn't happy about the idiot laughing on the couch. Turns out my GGF was on leave, contracted pneumonia, ended up in the hospital at Sandy Hook and didn't return on time. It was straightened out but the original documents were in the packet. I discovered a few facts that scandalized the older members of my family. You aren't suppose to talk about some things. ;)
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 pm

It's funny how so many people think you are looking for money, property or royalty when you start asking questions. Oh I just noticed I spelled Genealogy wrong the first time. Thank you for not commenting.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Ah, I was doing a bunch of looking back a few years. If I had kids, I probably would have kept it up - but basically was doing things for my own and for fun. I found what I started out looking for - as I had never known where my dad's father came into the states from - and I found out that they migrated to Canada, then to the US (his grandparents came to the US) - and I discovered a branch of the family still in Canada. That was neat. I know a lot on my mother's side - and someone way back when really did a lot - but the book he had sent to our family disappeared and I'm still working on finding a relative who has one to get a copy. They say we have some American Indian blood on my Mom's side - but I never have seen proof of that - but we all know somethings they tried to sweep under the rug - so it may or may not be true.

Good luck in your searching - it can be fun and frustrating at the same time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MsBHaven » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 pm

I've worked on my family lines off and on for years. It is a fun hobby that doesn't cost much and you can stop it and start it again whenever you want. My Aunt, now deceased, got me started on genealogy. I wish I had the "stories" to go with the dates - - that's really the most important part.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Next

Return to General Talk