proof again what a small world it is

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

proof again what a small world it is

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm

OK, I really wanted to go to the TX gtg overnight tonight - but my reservation is for Tues, and I have a commitment tomorrow, and I really, really had to do some website work tonight - which I am doing now - just taking a break to come here - but had to share this.

I am in Texas Hill Country - stopped at one of my favorite TX state parks - have been telling myself I should workamp here for the past 3 years - it's Blanco State Park - one of the smaller state parks - but for some reason I like lots about it - the park itself - and it's only 4 blocks from town - it's a cute little town - I love the sites - good sized - I love the river - I like the peacefullness

Anyway - on to how it's a small world. I pull in and go in to register. The park is small - not lots of spots (plus a few cabins) - and a couple comes in because they saw my license plates - they are from Alabama and just workamped the past 2 months. So we chatted about Alabama a bit. Now, I didn't know them, so that's not too terribly proof of what a small world it is - but I thought it at that point anyway .... then ....

I got to my space, pulled out the slide and hooked up electric and took Peaches for a walk. We'd been walking about 45 minutes and were heading back via one of the bridges over the water towards the camping area and I heard a voice say "I drove 200 miles to see a neighbor?" Well, 2 things - one of my hearing aids had just had the battery die - and I really didn't expect to see anyone I knew, so I didn't pay attn. Then I looked up - and coming towards me was one of the other single ladies from the cg I work at :) This is her favorite TX state park (and she's been to near all of them, I believe) LOL - So she and I did another mile loop - and I almost didn't get any work done - she was building a fire and wanted me to come over and we'd fix dinner - but I was good - as I was missing my forum friends, I told her I disappeared to get work done when dark came- and I came back and have been working.

Then, 10 minutes after I get back - I get a call from one of the other ladies I'm friends with at the park in Port A - and she had just talked to this one - and she was just laughing so hard - said only I could manage to do disappear to have a neighbor show up :) I did tell her that at least it could have not spread quite so fast - what a small world it really is.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: proof again what a small world it is

Postby Sparkle » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 pm

What a network you are building! No matter where you go you run into people you know. Proves you don't need a stick house to have friends. And there are more friends out there you haven't met yet.
Sparkle

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:26 pm

I agree 100%, after 7 yrs of being on the road I have MORE friends now than I ever did living at home! I do see the same people in and out of different campgrounds especially the Thousand Trails campgrounds. With having datastorm with the internet dish we can't hide....everyone knows where we are! :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Getupngo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:57 pm

I love how small the world is! The world of RVing women is even smaller ... no wonder we trip over one another! LOL!

I wish I could join you all in Texas. But the cost of the transmission has put that idea completely out of my mind. Please know I want to meet you all ... and maybe we can make this happen another time.

janice
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:04 am

Bethers i'm still laughing,.... you are right, it's a small world. A few years ago I was at a conference for work in New Orleans, (pre-Katrina) and a gang of us went out to a jazz restaurant,.. had a great time and our waitress was from the same county here in NY that I am from. Isnt' it amazing how we bump into people!
Cedar518

Postby oregontocal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:14 am

Perfect! This stuff always amazes me. When I worked in Kanab, Utah last year, all of us workampers stayed in a small RV park in the middle of town. One afternoon after work I was sitting outside reading and a couple pulled into the space next to me, so I talked with the man for a few minutes. When his wife came over, I thought she looked familiar, but couldn't place her, at least not immediately. Then I saw their California license plates, talked to her for a minute, and it hit me: they had been the camp hosts at the county park in San Diego where I first began my fulltiming back in January. What are the chances of them parking right next to me in a small RV park in a small town in Utah? But, it doesn't stop there. Something similar happened this year as well.

I was visiting my aunt on Whidbey Island, Washington and decided to visit a good friend up in British Columbia. Because it was such a beautiful day, I decided to drive up the island and through Deception Pass rather than take the ferry and drive up the freeway. While driving through the town of Coupeville, I stopped at a red light and someone in the car next to me honked and waved. Huh? That person then turned right and I noticed their Unitarian Universalist bumper sticker. And then it hit me: it was my minister friend Kit from Portland. She was now the minister of a church on the island. So, I turned right and followed her. Since we hadn't seen each other for three or four years, we spent about ten minutes catching up before she had to go to a meeting. Again, what are the chances of us stopped at the same stoplight at the same time on a small island in Washington?

This is fun stuff!
oregontocal

Postby oliveoil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:37 am

It is a small world for sure---------- when we were planning on moving to Branson, Mo------all our friends said do you know any one down there?????????
No----------
But we never leave the house to go any where in Branson that we don't run into some one we know that is on vacation down here!!!!!!!!
I never ran into those people in Kansas at the store!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
But we always run into people down here we know!!!!!!!!! :D

Last week I was donating things to a church thrift store & I heard a laugh I thought I knew------ & yes it was one of my friends from Kansas who had planned on calling us to go to dinner with them that night---& had just hit town & she was this thrift store & had to stop--- :lol: --- & they were in the thrift store shopping when I was donating things------ funny how two old antique dealers find each other in a thrift store!!!!! :D :D :D :lol:
oliveoil

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 am

I just remembered something that happened to me when my X and I were coming home from winter in Alabama back in spring of '05,.... we pulled into a small campground in VA,... Big motorhome in pullthrough next to us. NY plates. Fellow says "oh, you're from NY,.... where?"

I said,..."oh a very small town in the far northern part of NY, you probably haven't heard of it." He said "try me!" .... I told him and he said he'd graduated from high school in that town! Sure enough,... he and I had graduated from the same little school in northern NY! Only he was about 10 years ahead of me. Small world for sure!
Cedar518

Postby Marslet » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 am

My experience will show you what a small world we live in.
I was on a 35 day extended vacation in Europe. That day I was coming out of a jewlery store in the square in Venice, Italy after buying my mother a garnet ring. As I was walking along, planning what to do next, I hear, "Hey Sharlotte, What the h--l are you doing here?". I looked around and there was a classmate from college waving her hand at me. Now, I went to Northeast Louisiana University in little old Monroe, Louisiana, and who would have thought I would run into someone from there? Seems her husband was in the navy and the navy happened to be in Venice at that time and she had flown over to be with him.
How is that for long distance connecting? :lol:

Marslet

Marslet

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm

yep Sharlotte you win the prize! :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby snowball » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:59 am

After we were married we lived in Iowa then moved to Jackson wy my home town. When you leave in Jackson you usually have several jobs we were trying to start a business and at the same time dh was working for a grocery store. Unless you grew up in Jackson you were either a transplant or a tourist. So dh was always asking people where are you from this one day the conversation went dh where are you from women Iowa DH oh where it went on and on finally it boiled down do she grew up just a few miles from his home town and had a crush on one of dh's uncles....
Another time we were driving from the UofU where dh worked and he saw this Iowa car from Muscatine Iowa which is a town that we had lived in befor moving west. My husband decided to catch up with them which we did at the stop light we roll down the window us to ask if they know anyone we knew and they for directions the way it went was Fred??? Larry??? we were friends had a good visit.
yes it is a small world but Sharlotte you still win the prize just thought I would share
sheila
snowball

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:53 am

Several years ago my dil and gd were visiting from North Pole, Alaska. i took them to the Portland Oregon Zoo All of a sudden I heard my gd talking with someone. It was a girl from her class in Alaska!
AlmostThere

Return to General Talk