Our first snowstorm of the winter season!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Our first snowstorm of the winter season!

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 pm

It started snowing at about 3:30 pm when I got home from school yesterday afternoon, and it hasn't stopped yet! I measured 16 inches on the level before the sun went down, with drifts caused by the heavy wind in excess of 2.5 to 3 feet! I took some pictures which I will try to post somewhere when I get some more time. I had to shovel off my uncovered front deck to prevent any rain that might come in future days from adding enough weight to the snow to collapse my deck!

I really don't think I can remember us ever getting this much snow in October before, and possibly never getting any more than this in ANY month at one time. School was cancelled, thank heavens, as I needed to shovel out woodpiles, the porch, my walk, my truck so I could get plowed out, and keep my woodstove going. I lost satellite TV but not power, and for that I am very thankful. Guess winter is here, even though not officially as yet! Maybe I can go cross-country skiing tomorrow after school.....YIPPEE!!!!

Hope the rest of you across the nation have power and heat and that you are all comfortable tonight!!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Re: Our first snowstorm of the winter season!

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey Soosie,... you keep that dang white stuff on your side of the mountains,... ok?

No snow here,... but oh we did get wind! And Brrrrrr..... it is c-o-l-d!
Cedar518

Postby Echo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 pm

The he77 with her side of the mountain!!!!

Keep it all UP there!!! Don't want that stuff like that down here. Good God Gertrude it would paralyze this area!!! I do NOT want for Kelly and I to be about the only ones to show up for work. Would not be a good thing. I would probably end up killing any supervisor that showed up. It would be horrible to be the only ones they had to holler at all day.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Wow, Soos, who would ever have thought you'd get so much snow so early in the season! That's got to be a record. And, much as I think that white stuff is beautiful, I'm awfully glad it's you and not me having to deal with it. Love your attitude - you just are looking at it as a chance to go skiing!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Shirlv » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Nasoosie, the snow is beautiful. I worked in a hospital for 30 years and not showing up because of snow was not an option. If you couldn't make it under your own power they send volunteer suv to pick you up. :D I am retired now and can enjoy the snow. The snow starts falling and I start cooking and baking. We don't get your amount of snow so I no longer shovel just wait for the sun. I have never tried cross country skiing, it sound like it would be beautiful and very tiring.
Shirl
Maryland

She believed she could, so she did..R.S. Grey
Shirlv

Postby SeeyaGal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 am

What's with the crazy weather in the East? I've got the air-conditioning on!
Aaaah I remember being in the snow, I loved night skiing!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:39 am

Good morning, all! It's about 25 degrees out there this morning, with just snow showers coming down, rather than the blizzard we had yesterday morning! I am going to try to post a couple of pictures before I leave for school. All of you who still have sun and warmth, be happy and do some basking for me and Molly, who did NOT want to go outside yesterday!

It's COLD out here!!

Trailer and Isuzu Sidekick in new winter shelter

View off my front porch this morning.

Last edited by Nasoosie on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 am

I'm amazed at how much more snow you got. We have NOTHING here. Wow,... yesterday it was just a dusting,.. not even enough to turn anything white. Just enough to catch in some spots as the wind blew it around. I can see where the plow pushed up a bank already. I'm not looking forward to that happening over here,.... maybe if I get a big sunlamp and hang it in a tree my back yard will stay free of snow all winter? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 am

I'm amazed at how much more snow you got. We have NOTHING here. Wow,... yesterday it was just a dusting,.. not even enough to turn anything white. Just enough to catch in some spots as the wind blew it around. I can see where the plow pushed up a bank already. I'm not looking forward to that happening over here,.... maybe if I get a big sunlamp and hang it in a tree my back yard will stay free of snow all winter? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Echo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 am

I have to be honest here.

I might not want to deal with the snow? But I think that picture where the snow is on the trees is beautiful. When it covers everything like that it causes such a hush. It gets so quiet that you can actually hear the snowflakes landing. Now that is peaceful and beautiful.

Give me a few more years back down here in the south and I will be homesick for not just winter? But winter with snow. Kinda why I moved from here to Maine.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby carold » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 am

Beautiful pictures. It definitely does seem quiet and peaceful just looking at them. Love to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. :D Went to camp in the Adirondacks for years in the summer and just loved that area-right on Saranac Lake. carold
carold

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 am

Oh, yes, I do believe winter up north is the most beautiful of all seasons. I love how it looks with fresh snow on the trees and ground and rooftops, etc. I love how it looks during and after an ice storm (which scared me also - but their beauty cannot be denied). That said, I have no desire to live in that beauty now - would much rather enjoy your wonderful pictures and take short sojourns to visit :)

Thanks, Soos, for posting those great pics - and letting me see a new pic of Molly! Peaches says hi - even though they've never met. Remember Moxie? She would revel in that snow - she loved everything about snow - made me see it in a new light. We would have had to be out in it yesterday while she would toss it in the air and jump into drifts, etc with the biggest grin on her face. Ah, she did love winter :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Hence, this is why we don't live in the Allegheny Mountains anymore.....and leave PA all together for the winter..... :lol: Would like the white stuff for Christmas week, but it can go away after that....it still is pretty....I'll just look at the photos.... :lol: good job, Soos!!
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Return to General Talk