lots of quilts

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

lots of quilts

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Thursday I had a field trip with one of the schools, took the little kids
to the Arizona State Fair, spent a few hours, ate some funnel cake
and mozied through the craft barn. Lots and lots of quilts, beautiful
quilts, simple to complex, but totally awesome.

the white one on the right side bottom was one of my favorites, it was actually needlepoint panels quilted together.

this green one is actually made from the pattern I use the most but they did a little
variation to it.

There was also craft stuff but the one that really impressed me was the carousel horses
They were entirely covered with pearls and jewels.

a little closer look, each different color is some different pearl or jewel or bead.
They weren't little either, they were about 4' tall.
All in all it was a fun day, I enjoyed the agriculture barn too. They had sheep that
day and the pigeon competition. So many different kinds of pigeons and brought back
alot of childhood memories. My papa Dave payed for the farm buying and selling pigeons
for whatever reasons people had and he made quite a good living at it. He would pay
neighborhood kids a quarter apiece for a bird they would bring him and turn it for a
$3 or more depending on what kind it was and who bought it. The dog trial folks would
come and buy 300 at a time for their field trials and lots of them would show back up
on the barn, :lol: and then get sold again :lol: the local vietnamese would come and
buy squab but to that I said "no thank you"
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: lots of quilts

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I love fairs,.... I've been to NH and VT state fairs, but never NY,.... go figure! :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Sparkle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:05 pm

I love looking at Quilts and amazed at what a skilled artist can do. I'm collecting velvet scraps to make a Victorian Crazy Quilt, the kind with metallic embroidery. I've always believed in biting off more than I can chew.
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:09 pm

Beautiful quilts! I love going to county and state fairs. The green quilt looks like a variation of the log cabin pattern, right?
oregontocal

Postby snowball » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:32 pm

That is my favorite 'barn' at a fair love to see what like you said a skilled artist can do!!! Love to look at the crafts there is so many people with so many talents. And even for things that you wouldn't even think of. I wish I had a 10th of the skills as these ladies have!!
Thanks for sharing with us these photos'
sheila
snowball

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 am

I love seeing the quilts at the Fairs too, this week I was watching a lady use one of those fancy expensive stitching machines. It was cool watching her glide it over the quilt making all kinds of whirling stitches. Will try to get a photo of it tomorrow, the frame and machine took up alot of space in the clubhouse.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby avalen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:24 am

oregontocal wrote:Beautiful quilts! I love going to county and state fairs. The green quilt looks like a variation of the log cabin pattern, right?

yes, you are right, their variation is the center is a very big square and only two rows
after that. No matter what pattern one uses I think its the colors that mix it up and
make it pop on any quilt.
I'm so motivated now to get my sewing machine out and clean it up, it needs a good
tune up.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby asirimarco » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:09 am

love the quilts - so many patterns and so much fabric and so little time. so much talent out there in this world. doesn't it make you wonder where they got the ideas?
I am trying to convince my husband to let me bring my sewing machine with us this time - or my beads. Doesn't look to encouraging though. Maybe I'll just bring the needlepoint I started two years ago and finish it.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk