Covered Bridges of Greene County Ohio

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Covered Bridges of Greene County Ohio

Postby asirimarco » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 am

some of the many, many pictures I took of the Greene County Covered Bridges
Engle Mill Bridge
Red barn next to bridge
Charleton Mill Bridge
Stevenson Rd Bridge
Glen Helen Bridge down through a meadow to get to it
Ballard Rd Bridge - the only one not red
This bridge was in Clinton County where we were camped
as you can see I LOVE covered bridges - have had some real adventures looking for them.
asirimarco

Re: Covered Bridges of Greene County Ohio

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

I hope to make a trip to see some covered bridges either in Ohio or Indiana next year. Since I've never been there I have a question (might be a stupid one, but what the heck). Since I drive a Class B I'm not in a car. I am assuming I could not drive through these bridges due to my heighth. Right? Or do cars even go across them?
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm

I love those covered bridges. There are several in VT, too, and one here in the Adirondacks. What a great piece of history.
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm assuming you were doing this in a car. My rig is 13'6".
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 pm

My favorite thing, covered bridges. When visiting Vermont, my husband would take me to all he found or knew about. I have had all kinds of stuff with pictures of bridges on them. Pictures hung all over my house ha,ha. Think I might have been a little fanatic about them. Now that I am a grandmother, I have pictures of my grandchildren all over my walls. Life sure takes different routes, I still love the bridges though. I sure enjoyed seeing these. Thanks

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby oregontocal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:05 pm

That must have been such fun! Wonderful pictures. There are quite a few covered bridges in Oregon also. Back when I was still doing LONG distance bicycling, I did a century ride (100 miles) beginning in Albany and riding through many bridges along the way. It took about eight hours but was an experience I'll never forget.
oregontocal

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm

http://www.coveredbridges.com/

When we lived in Illinois we went to the covered bridge festival in Indiana and it was wonderful They had a map so you could drive the entire route to all the bridges. The towns people dressed in olden day garb and in the central park area they set up food booths. I remember huge pots of bean soup being stirred and huge helpings of cornbread to go with it. They made homemade brooms and had carriage rides around town. Such fun!
AlmostThere

Postby asirimarco » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:57 am

The bridges that are still in use are passable to cars and small trucks - nothing over 12' probably. If they are still in use they usually have the height posted - two of these in the pictures do -12.5 and 11.5 Probaby ask if you pick up a map. A lot are no longer in use, just off the main roads. We were driving around in the jeep. When we were in Oregon we did see several of the covered bridges. In fact one always comes up in the conversation. When we got off the freeway I looked at the little map I had and told my husband to turn right and follow the road, it shouldn't be too far. About 25 miles out into the woods we came upon a telephone lineman and asked him "Where's this covered bridge?" His reply, "Well you know where you got off the main road. Just turn left and go under the highway it is right there." As we made a U-turn and drove away he was smiling and shaking his head. Yep there it was 30' from the highway. I still haven't lived that one down.
And yes, the Parke County Bridges, IN are wonderful. Spent a couple of weeks there three years ago and are going back this year in October for the festival. There are 30 in Parke County. And 2 here in Brown County. One is a double wide - with section for north traffic and section for south traffic. In Ashtabula County OHio (north eastern area) there are 19 bridges. Some of them are very pretty.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk