Park Model Ownership - Florida

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Park Model Ownership - Florida

Postby MsBHaven » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:22 pm

In my moments of boredom (i.e. when I'm not out on the road traveling and exploring), I come up with additional "escape" ideas. I've been considering buying a park model in Florida (probably the panhandle area - somewhere around Pensacola - Gulf Shores, AL). Hopefully one day I can spend a few months in Florida in the winter and have a "home base", but I would still take Ms"B"Haven along so I could go on short trips throughout Florida too.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about owning a park model? Any names of campgrounds or mobile home parks that might have used park models for sale? I don't need to be on the beach, but within a 30-minute or hour drive would be nice. The park doesn't need to be a resort. I'll probably spend a week in that area in February this year and will try and look at my options. I'm basically looking for something clean, but cheap.

Thanks
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Re: Park Model Ownership - Florida

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know anything about the campgrounds in Gulf Shores or Pensacola but coming from someone that had a camp that was about 4 hours from my home, it was a pain in the behind when I had to see about something. I was working then so I didn't have the time to stay up there all week to get something fixed.

There is a group of RVing women on yahoo and a couple of their members spend the winter in Gulf Shores. They say that it is a lot cheeper to rent a condo in the off season than in the summer. I don't know what they call cheep. They encourage members to have GTGs in Gulf Shores while they are there. Gulf Shores is about 5 or 6 hours from me. Maybe we could have a mini GTG. 8-)

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Be sure to stay where you're considering buying a park model. And just remember that you'll still be paying space rent even when you're not there. I, too, thought about a park model but in the end I just didn't want to be tied down. Too much like an apartment where you have no control over what management does. And those park models are really movable. I just move my RV into my "base" park for the winter. If I want to take off for a week or two, I don't have to pay for a site I won't be in. If you're going to be stationary more than traveling, think about a bigger RV. Mine is 30' as you know and I feel like I can drive it or just live in it. I'm perfectly content in a "small" space and don't miss my house at all. I'll keep the house as long as I can rent it out so if I ever get tired of this lifestyle or unable to do this lifestyle, I have a place to move into.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm

our park has park models that come up for rent, so thats just another option for you.
There are empty spaces where people come in and stay sometimes for just a week or
so, sometmes a month but their rv's range anywhere from a size like yours to tt, 5th's or big class A's. You might try that out too, drive down there in Ms B'haven and check
it out.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Our neighbors here in WA own a park model in AZ and when not there they rent it out. I believe it's in Surprise, AZ?? I have checked the place out on the internet and park models are quite pricey to rent, like a house payment!
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:32 pm

While I really like some of the park models out there - before I would purchase one, I'd get myself a 5th wheel or large TT that I could still move - and put that on the lot instead. Why? Because things change - and if the park changed ownership, or management, or I simply decided I didn't want to be there anymore, it would be much easier to move the 5th wheel or TT. In fact, most parks that allow park models, after they are installed, you don't have the option to move them, but would have to sell them - which means someone will have to want to stay at that park to purchase.

Even if I didn't have a truck to move what I'd put on the spot (as I do intend to do this some day) - it's fairly easy to hire someone to do so. So, if a park made me mad, I could find a new one and move my home. Can't do that with most park models.

That said - many I know at the park I workamped at last summer have park models there. While I love that campground and those park models, I'd still stick with my plans :)

And some friends of mine, who purchased their lot last winter at a south TX park, will not put a park model on it - they will leave it empty when not there - and bring their 5th wheel. In their case, they made sure their annual contract allows them to rent out their space when they aren't using it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MsBHaven » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:46 am

This is why I love this forum. As I sit here thumping myself on the head saying, "What was I thinking????", of course, I wouldn't want a park model for all the reasons you all mentioned above. I just need to find a place to rent for a month - either a condo, park model, or a lot (although Ms"B"Haven might be a little too small for a comfortable month's stay). I sure wasn't thinking that park model idea through! Probably didn't have enough wine when I asked that question! I hadn't even thought about the idea of having to "move" or "sell" the park model for various reasons (hated the park, ownership changes, hurricanes, etc.). Duh!

Guess on my next trip I'll just check out the areas and find a place that I would like to rent for the next year.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby Fernie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 am

Margie, I think Beth has a good idea. When I was in Florida 2 years ago, one of the gals at the park had a travel trailer-----actually she had two. One was in Ohio or Indiana where her kids lived and she spent summers there. She spent winters in Florida and had a TT at the park which she had moved to storage right ther at the park when she wasn't there. It only cost something like $35 -$50 a month to store it. Can't remember which it was but it was reasonable.There are all sorts of options out there.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog..
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away...
Fernie

Return to General Talk