Day at the beach - San Diego, CA

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Day at the beach - San Diego, CA

Postby oregontocal » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:45 pm

You asked for photos from the beach, so here they are.

I took my good friend Betty out to Todai (sushi buffet) for lunch this afternoon and we stuffed ourselves a bit. We always go there on our birthdays and never leave hungry.

After a few stops at Costco, the bank, and assorted cell phone stores, we drove back to her place in Ocean Beach and walked down to the weekly Farmer's Market. Ocean Beach is quite a 60's, laid-back kind of place--didn't get a Starbucks until a few years ago. We wandered through the market, buying fruits, veggies, and flowers, and she introduced me to many of her friends who sell things there.

There are usually lots of flowers for sale. These are Bird of Paradise.

Betty sells a line of photo cards of the Ocean Beach area, so we stopped in one store to check her supply and met these characters.

This is Betty. She and I met a number of years ago while we did a year of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) together at the Center for Urban Ministry. Became very good friends.

One of the Market entertainers. The band was down at the other end of the street.

Hodads is quite a famous hamburger place--very noisy and crowded, excellent burgers. License plates all over the walls, some quite strange.

More people at the market

Since the sun was going down in about 30 minutes, we headed down to the beach to watch. Kind of cloudy tonight, though. Here's the Ocean Beach Pier.

People and birds on the beach. They outlawed drinking and smoking on the beaches here last year and it seems to have made quite a positive difference. Now there are more families coming the the beach than before.

Lots of surfers by the pier.

This seagull decided to pose for me.

I tried to photograph this kite at just the right angle

Finally, the sunset. I've seen many better, but this one with all the clouds wasn't too bad.
oregontocal

Re: Day at the beach - San Diego, CA

Postby MsBHaven » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:13 am

Beautiful photos - enjoyed seeing them. Loved those "characters". Looked like a neat place for visit.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:19 am

I do miss the beaches in the San Diego area. I lived right on the beach for several years in the late 60's - opened the door and there was the beach AND all the people. Weekends you had lots of drunk sailors wandering the boardwalk. Thanks for the pictures.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Lotus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing the beach with us! So enjoyed your pictures.

Becky
Lotus

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:16 pm

I enjoyed all the pics - and I promised Peaches we'd walk the beach this afternoon - so going to have to do it soon! I've been avoiding it for a few days - should have taken pics - cuz for a couple days there our beaches were covered in junk washing up from Galveston. I went and looked once (didn't take my camera, sorry) and didn't go back last couple days as it made me sad - there was everything washing up from parts of showers, to furniture, to kids shoes, etc etc. Sad to see so much of peoples lives that is washing up so far away.

I think I like the idea of outlawing drinking on the beach itself. I'm glad it's worked for them and you are seeing more families there. Looks like a great community.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:14 pm

great pictures - love the flamingo statue - wonder what he is trying to look at?
asirimarco

Return to General Talk