Some Hurricane Ike Pics

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Some Hurricane Ike Pics

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:29 pm

My g/f lives and works in Huntsville, TX - about an hour north of Houston - and therefore Ike had already weakened some. That weakened stage still knocked out her power for several days - and kept the university she worked at closed for about a week (to both students and employees).

She just sent me two links to see some of the campus after Ike passed through and I thought you'd like to see just what Ike can do to some pretty big trees:

http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/IkePictures.html
http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/IkeMuseumPics.html
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Some Hurricane Ike Pics

Postby asirimarco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Amazing - but I was amazed at the damage IKE did in Ohio - still around 1500 people without power in the Dayton area. Roofs gone, sides of buildings gone, trees down. Will post some pictures later.
asirimarco

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Carol, my son/family left Dayton (military) last June but have friends they keep in touch with and I have seen and heard about the mess.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Ike's winds and damages were extensive - over many states. My g/f chose not to send pictures of homes, etc - said I could just picture them - she was lucky and didn't have anything but limbs done all over her yard, but no damager to her own house. She sent the website address for the trees down to let it be seen just what Ike did - if he could bend a tree like that - imagine some of the houses.

That said, we had lots of the garbage from the damage Ike did in Galveston turning up on our shores here last week. It was very sad to see - I was avoiding the beach for a few days after taking a good look the first day that much washed up. Now very little more is coming up and the beaches have been being cleaned regularly.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Here is a couple of pictures damage from IKE in Ohio - this is a barn - or whats left of it
this is one of the covered bridges we visited - see the planks in the stream bed
and a couple of trees from different areas - the power of Mother Nature - t he first is across road from bridge
Part of the campground we were staying in was closed due to downed trees.
asirimarco

Postby avalen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:15 pm

what a devestating storm it was, I've seen so many pictures, its just really sad.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to General Talk