Cameron LA Camping Trip

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Cameron LA Camping Trip

Postby VickieP » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Last Monday thru Friday we camped at the Cameron Fishing Pier and RV Park in Cameron, Louisiana.

Here is a google map showing where the park is located, right on the corner of the Gulf of Mexico and the Intercoastal Waterway.

On the way there, we saw where the National Guard is putting big wire boxes with cardboard in them and filling with sand, to help block the oil, should it come this way.
Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, I was in a moving vehicle.

I wanted to avoid crossing the ferry with the RV, but Ronnie said it would be okay since lots of 18 wheelers do it.
Here we go...

We brought the boys with us and they've never been on a ferry ride. They weren't real sure about the rocking motion.
Since we had to turn off the truck, it was hot. I kept trying to get a good pic of Remi, but like Mitch, he has trouble keeping his tongue in his mouth. :lol:

Weatherby was too busy trying to get the people in the truck next to him to play with him.

So now we made it off the ferry without tipping it over and are arriving at the park.

The next few pics show around the HOT, NO SHADE RV Park.

From the fishing pier.

From the observation deck.

There were tons of pelicans on the beach. And a variety of sized boats and ships that pass through there.

Here's the fishing pier. It was originally built in 1999 and rebuilt after Hurricane Rita and again after Hurricane Ike.
That is also why the park office and restrooms are built up high. The restrooms have a elevator for handicap access.

Looking out at the jetties from the end of the fishing pier.

Our boys in their houses. Funny thing, at home Weatherby's kennel is on the right and Remi's on the left. In the RV it was better, space wise, to put them in reverse. The first night when they were told to "Kennel Up" Remi ran into Weatherby's and just plopped down, unable to go any further, his butt and tail hanging out! :lol:

VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Re: Cameron LA Camping Trip

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 am

Man, what an unattractive campground!
But I'm sure your sparkling personality warmed the place up immediately.
And you did a pretty darn good job on keeping your horizons straight!!! :lol:
Your pooches are adorable.
Is the one with the freaky eyes the one that would eat Abby?
Where do you put your cage at night?

mitch5252

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:00 am

Great pics, Vicki, but, I'll have to agree with Mitch-----what an amazingly unattractive campground! More like a Walmart parking lot! But at least Ronnie got to fish off the pier, so I guess it was all worth it!

And, as usual, Mitch's comments made me spew my coffee all over the place!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 am

As soon as I read fishing pier I knew why you were there :lol: well at least why Ronnie was there :D I guess its fair to support his choices....since he agrees to attend our GTGs :roll: and we know what he goes through there :lol: :lol:

Hope that the fishing goes well. Any tar balls rolling up on those beaches? yet.......
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

Hope you catch lots of fish. How hot is it? Hope there are some cool ocean breezes.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 am

I don't like to ride the ferry either and my rig is a lot smaller than yours. Is this campground at what is called the Cameron Jetties? Thanks for the map and more important, how was the fishing. I use to work for the company that owns the Pogy plant that is just west of the ferry, Omega Protein. They have plants in Intercoastal City, Moss Point, MS and Reedville, VA.

Before Rita we liked to camp at Holly Beach and Rutherford Beach. We took a ride along 82 some time after Rita and there was nothing left but a few pilings sticking out of the sand. So Sad!

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 am

I have to agree with everybody, it's definitely not a "campground", but simply a RV park. It was extremely HOT, sun reflecting off the white rocks made it worst. Even the ocean breeze was HOT! :lol: Ronnie caught 3 hard head catfish and one huge crab, but we threw them all back.

Yes, Martha, this is the Cameron Jetties. There's not much there, of course no trees at all. The storm surge from Hurricane Rita was 15-20ft., not sure how big it was from Hurricane Ike, but both wiped everything out, even parts of the concrete & steel fishing pier. Each section has the date it was put in, you can see the different years and tell which ones were swept away. We will probably go there again, in cooler weather, simply because he can easily fish there. When the red fish are running you can catch them there, also huge black drum, but we don't keep those either.
VickieP

VickieP

Postby Carolinagal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:18 am

Not to sure, I am all that ready to start reading the forum. Your pictures and points of interest were great Vicki, but you sure left lots of room for Mitch to step in with her wit. The remark of your pooch with the tongue hanging out, gave me a clue, but I went ahead and read it all anyway. : Actually, its great to be back!!

So how many fish did Ronnie catch, no info on that. Hey, no secrets allowed. Hopefully he caught a lot , because that crowded, cluttered campground, had to be worth the trip for some reason :) For fishing, looks ideal though.

I enjoyed your pics, you did a very good job. My first ferry trip, I felt about the same, but isn't it fun?

More trips planned? Hope so

CArol

tried to submit this same time you did, with questions answered I ask, but will let this stand.
Carolinagal

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:49 am

Does look hot, hot, hot!! I guess I'm not sure just what a jettie is. Is it what looks like oil rigs out in the water? ;) I like when I discover something new. thanks for sharing!
AlmostThere

Postby VickieP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:53 am

A jetty is any of a variety of structures used in river, dock, and maritime works which are generally carried out in pairs from river banks, or in continuation of river channels at their outlets into deep water.

The two long rows of rock that make the edges of the shipping channel and protects it, allowing it to remain deep enough for the large ships.
VickieP

VickieP

Postby PeggyinCT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and running commentary. I took a trip through the Louisiana bayou country a few years ago and it so reminded me of Thailand where I lived for a year. The houses up on stilts, the rice and cane fields, the abundant seafood, and the hot and humid weather. I had a great time eating my way through Louisana and want to return again, but maybe not in the summer.

Peggy
PeggyinCT

Postby avalen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:00 pm

wow, whats with that great big ship? is it sitting on the ground? and no longer in
service? I'd be afraid to get near it for fear it would fall over. We don't have ships
in the desert ya know, so I just don't know about that stuff.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:19 pm

VickieP wrote:Ronnie caught 3 hard head catfish and one huge crab, but we threw them all back.

Did it take you long to swim back to shore?
(by the way, which one were you - the hard head or the crab?)

mitch5252

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Viki,

I didn't know place existed. Thanks for a peek. Happy hubby was able to fish.

What are some other campgrounds you have camped at in Louisiana?
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Great photos, Vickie. Somehow I don't picture LA without lots of trees.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Next

Return to General Talk