PC to Mac considering switching

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

PC to Mac considering switching

Postby Redetotry » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:32 am

Several of my friends have Mac computers and they are very enthusiastic about their performance & features. I have always worked on a PC and plan to keep the desktop I currently have but want to get a small laptop. The 13” Mac Book is looking very tempting but I wondered if any of you have made the switch, and if so, how was the transition. The increase in virus attacks are my number one reason to consider changing.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Re: PC to Mac considering switching

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 am

One of the things that used to be a problem with Mac was that a lot of programs weren't compatible and you couldn't download them. I believe that is no longer true. However, it is more difficult to find someone who can work on them. I have a friend here in Kerrville who has a Mac and there is only one young man in town who works on Macs at all.

There are a lot of things you can do with your PC to keep you safe from viruses. I use Mozilla/Firefox to access the network instead of Explorer. I have AVG anti virus and spyware (free) and I run both programs weekly. I use the Windows firewall, too.

Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Paulette » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:03 am

While I don't have a MAC, you will love it and never want to come back to PC again! Other than the slightly higher price, I think it is a worthwhile investment. And, if you are needing a new computer anyway, what the heck. BTW, I believe most of the PC software is now available for use on MAC's. Maybe not 100% of it, but most. I'd go for it!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Redetotry » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

I did it!! My new Mac Book will be here on Monday. I just couldn't wait for for the free shipping which might take over a week so sprung for the two day option, guess they don't deliver on Sat. boo hoo but the waiting will make it exciting. :o

Thanks for the heads up sometimes I just need a little nudge !
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 pm

I bought a Mac last May.....have had it out of the box a few times. It is very different...I bought a book to help me but have had no time yet to read it and go from there. So far I am not feeling the "love" of other Mac lovers but hope to soon.

When they demonstrated it in the store it looks sooooo EASY ha ha I already lost Safari from my dock ha ha I know its there somewhere. I think I will like it when I have some time to devote to it. I am so PC oriented it is a big change for me.

let us know how you like it

Karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Paulette » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 am

Congrats! Keep us posted. Yeah, I guess there is a little learning curve involved!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Redetotry » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm

I finally have my new Mac Book computer all set up, had to call in help and even the geek had trouble as DH couldn't get back online with his laptop after he got me going. This is my first venture online but so far so good. I'm going to look for a class to take, this is way different but really exciting. Fortunately I still have my 'old' PC hooked up I think it's going to be awhile getting up to speed on this I have Firefox as a browser? I think you call it now.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 pm

I just returned from a 2 wk stay at my son's and he has a MAC. OMG, I was amazed at how quick it is! No waiting for Norton to virus scan everything or having to download upgrades etc! I got really spoiled. It's all so instant! Then, of course, he has the huge screen, probably HD as the color is so brilliant. Whenever this laptop goes belly up I'll get a MAC for sure.
AlmostThere

Return to General Talk