Need Prayers

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Need Prayers

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 pm

Tonight when I got home, had an emergency email from a girl I have known since I was a young kid. Her cousin and I were best friends and have remained friends all these years. My long time friend was put in the hospital a few days ago because of a severe cough. They could not calm the coughing and due to the cough it caused her to rupture the blood vessels in her right eye. This left her blind as of today. She had already lost the vision in her left eye, although she fought through surgery and other methods to save the eye, it just didn't work. The doctor has said that the only hope is that the body will absorb the blood in the eye and maybe, just maybe she might retain some vision.

She lives alone, and so the cousin is scrambling from her home in north Georgia trying to help get some things arranged to help her out. So the call to me was to get some information for her on assistance for elderly people, trying to live in their home, with problems such as being blind.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have sent some emails out tonight requesting information that I will pass on. So your input and prayers will be greatly appreciated.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Re: Need Prayers

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Nan,
I don't really have any suggestions - but you can't bet that she has my prayers!

If she truly does end up blind, I hope there are some organizations near her to help her learn all there is to learn - or one she can go stay at and learn. I know when I lived in Mpls, I was down the street from a place where the blind went to school to learn all the ins and outs - including walking with the cane, learning braille, learning how to put things in your house, etc - so there are those places I just don't know how far away she'd have to go for one.

I take away everything about What A Week for me - nothing in comparison to your friend.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Paulette » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Nan, sorry for the news. Maybe you could try Social Services through the hospital she is in. They might be able to give some direction. If I think of anything more, I'll post it. My prayers are out there for her!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby oliveoil » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 pm

I have a friend that lost her eye sight-------- & believe it or not the senior center in her area-set up every thing she would need to be able to live alone----------they searched out all help available & now deliver her meals- & check on her daily & also have set up cleaning help for her along with so much more-------- so don't rule out the senior center in that area also if there is one!!!!!!
Of coarse she will be in our prayers!!!!!!!!!!
oliveoil

Postby Sparkle » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 pm

That is so scary....I hope and pray that she regains her sight.
Sparkle

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:00 am

I am wishing your friend much good luck with the recovery of her eyesight. Someone has already suggested the social worker at the hospital as being a resource for information. Also your county's Dept. of social services. I sure hope things work out for her.
Cedar518

Postby Gentleladybear » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:26 am

Thank you all for your prayers, Olive I will contact the senior center here and get some info. Will keep you posted on what help I can find. Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions, sometimes I figure some of you have had experiences or know contacts I wouldn't even think of.

Thanks again...

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:55 am

Nan......some states have a "Dept. of the Aging" that have resourses and folks that can help.....and good idea about the Senior Center, too.....also see if there is Society of the Blind, too......am thinking of you and your friend.......keep us posted....

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Echo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:33 am

Nan, I will keep your friend in my prayers also.

The suggestion of the social worker in there in the hospital is an excellent one. And the various clergy that visit. If the social worker doesn't suggest who to ask of the various clergy then someone else can give some ideas there in the hospital.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 am

Nan, so sorry about your friend. Will keep her in my prayers.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Gentleladybear » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Called United Way's 211 service. They are a referral service sponsored by United Way. They were able to give me phone numbers in the area that my friend lives in. So I sent this information to her cousin and she is going there this Sunday, setting up appointments and will take my friend there so she can talk directly with them about what services they will offer. So slowly, this is beginning to work out.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and suggestions.

Nan
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Nan, sorry to hear about your longtime best friend. I pray that God will direct you all to the right people and that her eye will regain sight again. Bless you all.
AlmostThere

Return to General Talk