Midland, CA - Ghost Town

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Midland, CA - Ghost Town

Postby oregontocal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:57 pm

This morning began with sitting on the beach by the Colorado River, watching a great sunrise and a beautiful formation of geese over the river between California and Arizona. It was pretty chilly but nothing like Coffeyville, Kansas.

Two bicycling friends here at the campground told me about a modern-day ghost town nearby - Midland, CA. From the early 1950s to 1973, United States Gypsum had a large plant here in the middle of the desert. All the buildings are gone now, but former workers and family members still camp nearby and also have reunions each year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland,_California
http://www.designbycandy.com/stories/midland_ca.htm

So, my Rving buddy Steven and I decided to check it out today. We also found three geocaches in the area, a nice bonus.

Cross on the hill overlooking the former town.

Some ruins

I don't know what these buildings were.

Behind the buildings

Some graffiti

Foundations

Former tennis court

Not a bad location - too bad it gets so horribly hot. And, I don't imagine they had much air conditioning back then when the plant was operating.

Pointing the way to information. There were even a couple of paperback books in one two of the cans.

Another pointer

The pointers led us here. There was no one in either of the trailers, but they looked fairly well-kept.

This was the surprise: Quite a few very nicely done notebooks of pictures and remembrances from the plant, done by the daughter of one of the workers. They are all protected inside this trash can, the lid held on securely by two very heavy metal things.

One of the pictures - a full moon over the fully-lit town and plant.

More pictures

The day ended with a decent sunset and listening to Steven play his beautiful new mountain dulcimer. I then made some chocolate chip cookies for our community Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow afternoon, proving it is indeed possible to make cookies in a toaster oven. It just takes a lot longer.

Last edited by oregontocal on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregontocal

Re: Midland, CA - Ghost Town

Postby Echo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Great pics Chris!!!

Beautiful, beautiful sunset, just love it!!!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Very nice pictures and history lesson. I was hoping to see Steve playing his dulcimer in one of the sunset pictures. :D
AlmostThere

Postby oregontocal » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Tonight it was too dark for a decent picture, but perhaps tomorrow.
oregontocal

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:29 am

Interesting!
Cedar518

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:47 am

What an interesting place this is! How I would love to explore a little used-to-be town like that. And, the sunsets are gorgeous! Did any ghosts come out to dance around your campfire to the dulcimer music? If so, I would have joined them!

Thanks for posting that series of pics---I am so glad you have mastered the art of picture-sharing! I really look forward to seeing our country and places I want to visit in the future.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:31 am

Nasoosie wrote: Did any ghosts come out to dance around your campfire to the dulcimer music? If so, I would have joined them!

If a ghost drinks The Recipe and dances around the campfire, can a ghost break its ribs? Does it have ribs? Does it drink? Does it dance? Would Soos share the recipe with a ghost? :mrgreen:

mitch5252

Postby Sparkle » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:36 am

I think the fact that someone took the time to make a photo album and leave some of the history behind says that there were happy memories there. You don't do that kind of thing if you couldn't wait to leave. Neat story Chris.
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:40 am

From what I understand, the plant provided gypsum for movie companies to use for the effect of snow. However, after a while, directors, etc. decided the stuff coming out of the plant was too big to look like decent snow, so the plant was closed. Reading through some of the messages written in one of the notebooks by many former workers and family members, it sounded like people had been very happy there and were sad when the plant closed. One of the notebooks contained elementary school photos of each class at the school.
oregontocal

Postby avalen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:09 am

Nasoosie wrote: Did any ghosts come out to dance around your campfire to the dulcimer music? If so, I would have joined them!

uhh, Soos, did you learn nothing about broken ribs in your last dancing episode? :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby avalen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 am

love the pictures Chris, very interesting place, and also a little creepy, as in "if the
walls could talk" sort of creepiness. Looks like a great place to do some exploring.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby asirimarco » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:23 am

Great pics and info. How wonderful that people took the time to document the little town. So many times in the western states you see the remains of a town and wonder about it. Thanks.
asirimarco

Return to General Talk