SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 8

Let's start our day with a good morning here.

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 8

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:19 am

Good morning. Nice and cool out right now 63 but of course we will warm up this afternoon but only to 88 so that is doable for me. Today is kind of a day of memories for me. It is the 4th anniversary of the Almeda fire that took out most of our town. The devastation remains a memory but life goes on and things change. I loved where I lived but I have to say relocating to a town 100 miles north has some positives. Smaller town so way less traffic, it is cooler here most of the time by 5-8 degrees. Taxes are way lower. There are 3 valleys along the I-5 corridor for about 150 miles. Rogue Valley (my old home), Umpqua (my current location) and the Willamette valley (way more rain) 70 miles north of me. I feel content here even tho I miss my friends and neighbors. The view of Mt Ashland and surrounding mountains. I am settled here for sure. Close to Diamond Lake, Crater Lake, the coast and closer to my BFF Laura. In case anyone is interested in our devastating fire where they ran out of resources (due to umpteen fires in the state) and water. The fire was so hot it melted the water lines. This was also devastating for our Fire Dept #5 as they felt helpless. And they were fighting a losing battle with the wind gusts 40-50 that changed direction frequently. This video kind of tells the tale. I watched it this morning as it is new to me Made me sad but also made me glad that I escaped with my dog with minutes to spare. Thankful for the friends on here that were a great comfort and support while I was rebuilding my life. So I have much to be thankful for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPB95JkVME

On a much happier note the weather is leveling out, fall is coming, and I have a nice place to live. I always have said "Home is where you make it".
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Re: SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 8

Postby Redetotry » Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:32 pm

It is noon here and only 70 degrees!! I confess to turning on the electric heaters in the family room as it was 48 outside when I got up at six.
Karen I can't even imagine how you must have felt when someone came into your home telling you to leave immediately when you had just been outside. Seeing the video does show the reality though and also the miracle that you and Emma escaped.

The moon must be in the wrong phase as I am really having trouble sleeping. I wake up around 3:00 and either just toss and turn (makes me think of that old song) or I listen to a book. It doesn't seem to matter what time I go to bed. Beth you mentioned how most of us lived with no ac for some, if not all, of our childhoods. I remember it very well. My brother and I shared a room and we had a small rotating fan. I would cry and tell our Mom that the fan was ALWAYS on his side of the room! I also remember the my joy when we got a window fan.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:38 pm

Oh Joy, there is an area in the gulf that could turn into a tropical storm and a hurricane. I think the planes have gone to check on it but don't know when the report will be. My son called wanting to know what I wanted to do. Maybe by tomorrow we will have a better idea about what it's going to do. Might move the motorhome to Maurice to get it out of the way. I saw the neighbors messing with their living-quarters horse trailer. They only use it when there is a storm so usually end up having to buy a battery every year. Because we have had so much rain I worry about the trees along the road. We have some go down for every storm. Thank goodness the neighbors have tractors and chain saws and can get the trees moved pretty quick.

I heated roast, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes and broccoli out of the freezer for lunch and made some cornbread. I put three big bottles of water in the freezer to help keep it cold if the power goes out. If the storm comes here we shouldn't be out of power for long because the fish plant is running. They are the largest electric user in the parish so they get power back before everyone.

It is only up to 86 today and no rain for a change. BJ, all we had when I was a kid was the rotating fans too. I think the hottest I remember being was my first year of college. The freshman dorm had a big fan at the end of the hall blowing out like an attic fan and we would open the big tall windows but it was still so hot. We all had the small fans. I would go to class and come back and take a shower. That year they built a new girls dorm that had air-conditioning so my second year I got in there.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Cougarfan » Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I don't post often but I do read pretty regularly.

Karen, I remember that day like it was yesterday. You and another friend of mine lost their homes in two different fires. It was a terrible year for sure but you're all settled in now and it is nice having you closer.

Not much going on for me. Just work, work, work. I've been out camping a few times, had a trip to Montana planned but had to cancel for a couple of reasons, so have just camped around Oregon.

We're entering our VERY busy season at work (state budget) so won't have much free time until after Thanksgiving.

Anne, I have a friend that lives in Klamath Falls. I went camping there earlier this year and it's a nice little town. They do have an air Nat'l Guard base there so if you don't like jet noise, you might look farther out of town LOL Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and I can't believe that the property taxes in K Falls would be more than California. We also allow self-serve gas now ha ha We have fires here so there's no escaping that. Good luck with your decision on how to get out of the heat. I couldn't tolerate that on a regular basis.

Everyone have a great day!
Laura
Cougarfan

Postby Bethers » Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Karen, you are so lucky to have gotten out of there like you did. I never could imagine going through that but think you're happy to be closer to Laura. You get together more often. Laura, I'm sure that works out well for you. And it's always nice to see a post from you. BJ, I slept quite poorly night before last. Last night was better but I was up way too early today. I'll take your moon excuse, too. Lol Martha, I hadn't heard about that storm. I hope it misses you but am glad you are preparing.

I have a load in my little washer. I should grab my bedding and do another when this is done. Not sure that'll happen though.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:44 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:Good morning. Nice and cool out right now 63 but of course we will warm up this afternoon but only to 88 so that is doable for me. Today is kind of a day of memories for me. It is the 4th anniversary of the Almeda fire that took out most of our town. The devastation remains a memory but life goes on and things change. I loved where I lived but I have to say relocating to a town 100 miles north has some positives. Smaller town so way less traffic, it is cooler here most of the time by 5-8 degrees. Taxes are way lower. There are 3 valleys along the I-5 corridor for about 150 miles. Rogue Valley (my old home), Umpqua (my current location) and the Willamette valley (way more rain) 70 miles north of me. I feel content here even tho I miss my friends and neighbors. The view of Mt Ashland and surrounding mountains. I am settled here for sure. Close to Diamond Lake, Crater Lake, the coast and closer to my BFF Laura. In case anyone is interested in our devastating fire where they ran out of resources (due to umpteen fires in the state) and water. The fire was so hot it melted the water lines. This was also devastating for our Fire Dept #5 as they felt helpless. And they were fighting a losing battle with the wind gusts 40-50 that changed direction frequently. This video kind of tells the tale. I watched it this morning as it is new to me Made me sad but also made me glad that I escaped with my dog with minutes to spare. Thankful for the friends on here that were a great comfort and support while I was rebuilding my life. So I have much to be thankful for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPB95JkVME

On a much happier note the weather is leveling out, fall is coming, and I have a nice place to live. I always have said "Home is where you make it".

Oh, Karen, that was a really interesting video. I watched the entire thing. Do you know why it was that they didn't (as stated in the video) have enough resources, and . . . why and how did they run out of water? You mentioned that the water lines melted - but weren't the main water lines undergound. Oh. . . was it because when the above-ground (and pressurized) water lines melted (as structures burned) the water pressure was released, so that all water pressure was then lost?

What a terrible, terrible thing.

I remember at the time you told the story of your extremely narrow escape - would you care to tell it again? I am sure that all of us would be interested in hearing it.

Thank you.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Cudedog » Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:56 pm

Cougarfan wrote:Anne, I have a friend that lives in Klamath Falls. I went camping there earlier this year and it's a nice little town. They do have an air Nat'l Guard base there so if you don't like jet noise, you might look farther out of town LOL Oregon doesn't have a sales tax and I can't believe that the property taxes in K Falls would be more than California. We also allow self-serve gas now ha ha We have fires here so there's no escaping that. Good luck with your decision on how to get out of the heat. I couldn't tolerate that on a regular basis.

Everyone have a great day!
Laura

Oh, Laura, so good to see you here posting again! Did you end up getting the little Jayco trailer that you had been looking at? I am sure that all of us would like to hear your story. And. . . where did you camp in Klamath Falls? I hope to be going up there soon, and plan to camp in my van.

I really like Klamath Falls for a lot of reasons (I am aware of the air base) - cooler, for sure; it is only a short drive (45 minutes or so) from my favorite volcano, the Medicine Lake Volcano, which is east of Mt. Shasta. Lava Beds National Monument is on the slopes of Medicine Lake Volcano. It is a magical place - I could drive there every day if I wanted to!! It is a long drive from where I live near Sacramento, I haven't made it up there since before the Pandemic.

I am actively looking - but I have promised myself that if I am going to make a major move, I'm not going to "settle". I don't have a lot of "wants", just a few:

1. Cooler weather
2. A view of the mountains or nearby hills
3. Four seasons

I would prefer not to live in a subdivision, having lived in the Sierra Foothills - with a view of the mountains, with neighbors - but neighbors not too near - for the better part of my life. I moved "to town" because I just couldn't take the 2-hour, round-trip, daily commute any more. I thought to move back, once I retired - but Southern Oregon has been calling my name for quite a while now.

But I would take a subdivision, if I could see a view of the hills. Fires. . . yes, fire always seems to be an issue in the west these days. There doesn't seem to be much getting away from it - the only thing one can do is to be prepared.

Anyway! Don't want to get too maudlin here, always a risk for me!

Maybe I should look around where you live now, Karen. It does sound lovely.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Postby JudyJB » Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:49 pm

Really tired out today after 3 days of driving and walking around sightseeing, so tomorrow I am just sitting! I am finally in Lake Louise Hard-Sided campground. It is hard-sided only because of the numerous bears around here, namely grizzlies, which are a lot more dangerous than the more common black bears. The soft-sided campground is next door, but it is across a river and is surrounded by electric wire to keep bears away from yummy things like people in tents and popups! No elks bellowing or cows with calves tonight as there were in the campground in Banff.

I am a bit frustrated with Canadian campgrounds. The one in Drumheller on the plains was bad because there were so many flies I had trouble just plugging in my electric. Then there was the 15 amp site a few miles west where I could not use AC in 90 degree weather without using my generator. And last night, the place was very nice, but too many trees and all sites were alongside the roadway. Tonight, I am at least getting satellite because of an open spot here, but these are all "buddy" sites, meaning you are right next to another camper--like 2-3 feet away, but luckily the couple next to me are very nice. Hookup is 30 amp, but I blew a breaker using AC and my microwave at the same time. Went outside to flip the switch, but nothing happened. I need to take a photo of these electric boxes because it turns out that there are TWO breaker switches. One you can see if you bend over with your head almost on the ground, but the other one is hidden under the hinge at the top. You can feel it but no way can you see it. Ranger said ParksCanada was required to use cheapest vendor, and this is what they got!!!! Ridiculous!!!

There are shuttles here, and I am fairly close to the pickup point, but the couple next to me are having to move tomorrow for four nights to a site at the far end of the campground, which is way too far for them to walk. (This is a long, skinny campground, and I could not walk it either.) Luckily, I have tons of room at the back of my pull-thru so I told them to just drive up and park at the back of my site. Shuttles are needed because there are too many tourists for the spots available at sights!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Postby snowball » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:04 am

went to church then fixed lunch by that time but had Avocado toast and grapefruit segments so still breakfast :? decided to read scriptures but decided I wouldn't stay awake so set the timer turned it off fell asleep woke up at 5:30 and I had butternut squash and pilaf to make to go with the chicken so was referring to recipes for the squash and pilaf when kid from downstairs came to see if I was fixing supper as I wasn't doing it at my normal time.... well yes I am but it will be later... by time I fix it all ... turned out pretty good actually really liked the pilaf as well as the squash...and the chicken was so juicy... my sister thinks one can't cook a chicken breast so it is juicy .... hmmm she may not but I can :lol: I will have to remember the recipe for the pilaf
so now I need to make up for lost time... :roll: didn't even work on the hat but did one row on the afghan by then my phone was charged up so did a bit of coloring
Karen that just had to been a scary time...
Diane good to hear from you
getting cool enough I need to go close the sliding door
Anne looks like a lot of different areas to look into and didn't you say that you have a friend that might be moving up to Washington state?
They may have hurricanes in the east but we have fires in the west... not liking the smoke smell we have had for a few days
you all have a great day
sheila
snowball

Postby Cudedog » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:32 am

snowball wrote:Anne looks like a lot of different areas to look into and didn't you say that you have a friend that might be moving up to Washington state?

Hello Sheila.

Yes, my son and his wife have moved to Seattle.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Cudedog

Return to Morning Coffee