And in today's volcano news. . . Yellowstone

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

And in today's volcano news. . . Yellowstone

Postby Cudedog » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:34 pm

Update 7-25-24

Official video of this impressive hydrothermal explosion from the USGS (United State Geological Survey):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhJF9EtZEk

Interesting "medium-sized" hydrothermal explosion today at Yellowstone. It is being played down a bit. . . but the explosion damaged one of the boardwalks and it's railings, and very nearly damaged a bunch of tourists. . . I'll bet this is a day they won't soon forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1rOyFoqw5g

I am hearing that this type of explosion is not especially unusual at Yellowstone. . . but it looks pretty spectacular to me.

Luckily, the explosion appeared to occur a ways off from one of the boardwalks, instead of right under it. . . or the story might have had a bit of a different ending. . .

Anne
Last edited by Cudedog on Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: And in today's volcano news. . . Yellowstone

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:43 pm

Wow! :o Of course the tourons were just standing there instead of running! The fallout could have been extremely hot, acidic and/or toxic. People :roll:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:14 am

you know it's like the thoughts of the big earthquake happening in CA... here it's yep Yellowstone will blow one day tomorrow next week or 5000 years from now we don't worry about it... because when it does it will obliterate some areas and affects other areas for a very long distance although the video looked scary the one I saw they were dispersing I think it was a case of is this the way it's suppose to happen??? type thought... there are so many geysers up there that do erupt and you never know when on some of them or how high.... I assume that they might not let people near that one for awhile just to see if it is unstable and of course the walkway has to be repaired...
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:34 am

I saw that this afternoon, too. I'm always surprised there haven't been more injuries or deaths from when some have erupted.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to General Talk