RV/car registration??

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

RV/car registration??

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:21 am

So now I am confused :? (nothing new! :roll: )

If I buy an RV now and get it registered here in CA, I would have to get it registered again in AZ in October, right? Same thing if I buy a car here before I leave? That would get expensive.

If I find and buy an RV in AZ before October, I wouldn't be able to register it in AZ unless I changed my domicile to AZ first. I don't want to do that because that will end my health insurance here which I need to have until I get all my various medical appointments taken care of.

I found an RV in Phoenix I am interested in, but now I am wondering if I need to just get temporarily settled in AZ first (ie: rent a small furnished apartment ($$$ :shock:) and then look for an RV and toad once I get out there? If I did that, I could leave here at the end of August instead and just tow a U-Haul trailer out there with my stuff.

More to figure out with my already over-loaded brain! :roll:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: RV/car registration??

Postby Cudedog » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:38 am

BarbaraRose wrote:So now I am confused :? (nothing new! :roll: )

If I buy an RV now and get it registered here in CA, I would have to get it registered again in AZ in October, right? Same thing if I buy a car here before I leave? That would get expensive.

If I find and buy an RV in AZ before October, I wouldn't be able to register it in AZ unless I changed my domicile to AZ first. I don't want to do that because that will end my health insurance here which I need to have until I get all my various medical appointments taken care of.

I found an RV in Phoenix I am interested in, but now I am wondering if I need to just get temporarily settled in AZ first (ie: rent a small furnished apartment ($$$ :shock:) and then look for an RV and toad once I get out there? If I did that, I could leave here at the end of August instead and just tow a U-Haul trailer out there with my stuff.

More to figure out with my already over-loaded brain! :roll:

Barbie, most of the answers to the questions you are asking can be found online. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has a pretty extensive website. If you can't find an answer to a specific question you might have on the California DMV website, rather than posting your questions to random individuals online (who might give you incorrect information), it might be better to make a visit to your local DMV office in order to get reliable and precise information.

Probably the state of Arizona DMV website (or whatever it is called there) is a good place to get your Arizona specific questions answered, although I have not visitied the Arizona DMV website.

Also, both the California DMV and the Arizona DMV have telephone numbers. Although on-hold wait times can be long, you would get more precise answers to any specific California/Arizona DMV questions you might have from the official government office that specifically deals with motor vehicles in that particular state than you would from random and unknown-to-you individuals answering your questions online.

Perhaps more importantly - have you given thought to what you will do for medical insurance once your domicile is no longer in California?

I think you mentioned in a previous post that you are receiving Social Security - have you also signed up for Medicare?

Hope your escrow closes without any problems. One thing to keep in mind about real estate escrows: "It ain't over until it's over".

Good luck, and best wishes.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:04 am

You asked about your unemployment and you can collect that no matter where you live. I collected mine in Oregon from a California job I had. I dont know anything else about your registration or your health insurance.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:36 am

Thanks Anne. I am on the ACA health insurance here. I would have to sign up for the AZ version of ACA once I get an address/driver's license there.

I am not old enough yet for Medicare. 2 more years...

I am hoping for an easy closing. He is paying cash, and I know things went smoothly with the closing on the house he bought next door.

Karen, good to know about the unemployment insurance.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby chalet05 » Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:53 pm

Can you use your brother’s address temporarily?

While there are no doubt answers about the vehicle questions online, you do have a complicated situation. If you pay tax on purchase in one state, you may have a period of time to register it in another state without paying tax again.

I bought in AZ but was registering in WA so paid no AZ tax and paid it in Washington.

If your health insurance is thru the state, that could be iffy.
Anita
chalet05

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:05 pm

I think I am just gonna wait until after I close on the house before looking for an RV and then will figure it out from there. Just too much to deal with right now. :shock: I need to just concentrate on the stuff around here I need to take care of first.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SoCalGalcas » Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:54 pm

You might ask your sister in law if you could use her address until you get settled. I would investigate the cost of registration in AZ. CA is so darn high!
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:11 pm

I had my condo for sale when I bought my RV. I got it in Ohio because that is where I did my shopping and found what I wanted. I told dealer I was selling my house and moving to my son's in Ohio, so they accepted that address and I had it titled in Ohio. It was only a few weeks before my house was sold, and probably 3 months before I moved out down to Ohio.

I'm really not sure what the laws were, but it seemed pretty simple. Otherwise, I would have had to title it in Michigan and then change the title and license plates when I moved all my stuff to Ohio. Anyway, that was 12 years ago, so I am not sure what the laws are now.

I would think once you close on your house, you could change your mailing address to Arizona and maybe even set up a bank account there??????
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:41 pm

Barbie, what will you be using for an Arizona address? There's a good chance you could buy and register the RV in Arizona while still in California. That said, you really need to consider what you're best option for residency will be. The least expensive for me is using South Dakota. You're an Escapees member. You can use their services for mail also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:01 pm

I do plan to use my brother's address (with their permission, of course!). I will use that for licensing and mail.

If I buy an RV in AZ from a private party, I don't have to pay any sales tax, like I would have to do in CA. I plan to call the AZ DMV on Monday and see if I could register an RV without having an AZ drivers license, and other questions. Every state is different in how/what they do for licensing and registration. AZ has a lot of snowbirds and full-timers there so I would think they would have something set up for people from out of state.

I found a health insurance plan in AZ (part of ObamaCare) and it is similar to what I have here and won't cost hardly anything, but still get full insurance coverage. So that was good news!

I am hoping I will be done by the closing date with all my Dr appointments, etc. I could conceivably change my license and address after that and potentially leave here by September 1st if I have my ducks in a row by then, instead of waiting until October 1st.

I need to remember to get the cats vaccinated before I leave too. Romeow is overdue. The shelter I got Romeow at, has low cost vaccinations on Thursday mornings so I can take them there.

Judy, I bank at Wells Fargo so I never have to change banks when I move to another state, just give them my new address.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to General Talk