Suggestions for Barbie -- Post here!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Suggestions for Barbie -- Post here!

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:25 pm

I figured we all will have some suggestions for Barbie on what to save and what to toss, or how to buy an RV, so figured I'd start this area.

One of my suggestions is to not toss too much away. I threw out some things I wished I had saved. For example, I saved only one paring knife--did not plan on doing dishes only once a day and needing more paring knives throughout the day. I also tossed out some small bread tins I wished I had saved. And finally, I bought some plastic glasses and Corell dishes, but ended up using only paper plates and bowls and relying on plastic water bottles and other non-spillables. Also, I discovered I needed more clothes than I originally thought I would need because sometimes I end up going 2-3 weeks without being able to do laundry. And only need one dress-up, funeral outfit.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Re: Suggestions for Barbie -- Post here!

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:45 pm

Thanks Judy! I appreciate your ideas/suggestions and anyone else's.

I will probably mostly use paper plates, etc like I do now, and just keep 2 each of my melamine plates, bowls, regular silverware, etc (in case I get company). I don't have that many clothes to begin with but plan to get rid of things I am already not wearing, and most of the dressy things. I will keep some things in storage that I like in case I want to have them later. I only own a few pairs of shoes. So I am already kind of a minimalist when it comes to clothes.

I did learn a few things when I had the trailer and was in that for a few months while moving out here so I will keep some of that in mind, but that was different than full-timing. I still have some things from the trailer that I saved, like the outdoor rug, shower curtain, etc. A lot of what I will need is stuff I have here in the house as far as kitchen things but will be selective with that since I know there isn't a lot of kitchen storage in those RV's.

I do need to come up with an alternative to my bottled Propel that I drink all the time. I don't like plain water, but I do have a ZeroWater filter dispenser for the fridge that I can use but need to figure out what I can mix with it to give it some flavor without being too sweet/sugary like most of the flavored packets are.

What things did some of you take that you ended up not using or things you didn't think about needing at first that you ended up getting later?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby chalet05 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:56 pm

Barbie, look into Miso drops for your water flavor.
Anita
chalet05

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:05 pm

Also, if you get rid of any dressy clothes, women’s shelters can often use them for job interviews for women staying there.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In ID, then WA & OR, and finally to CA. Winter: NV, AZ, & NM

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:00 pm

I'm going to be very careful here because I am on the opposite what others are in a lot of what's needed. For boondocking I use paper plates but otherwise use Corelle. Barbie I don't think the plates you mentioned can be put on the microwave and are to breakable for me. I try to minimize my imprint on the planet so depending on my access to water I don't even use paper plates always when boondocking. I took too much kitchen stuff and gave lots away. Silverware doesn't take up much space so I only cut it back to 4 of each, but for me one paring knife and one larger knife is plenty, being as I wipe everything like that off immediately. What else I have for the kitchen has totally changed over the years. I rarely use the gas stove top but have an electric induction top that I store in the oven and put a top over the gas stove to make counter space. My most used cooking item is my air fryer and for the RV I have I've of the smallest ones made. Works great for just me. I have way too many clothes but my great quantity of sundresses takes up very little space. Then I have layers and about 5 or 6 pairs of leggings which I prefer over any other pants. But I do still have a couple other pants. More than you need to know, but I'm left with plenty of cabinet/storage space. Oh, and I believe everyone should be able to go up to 3 weeks between doing laundry, especially when boondocking, so I have lots of underwear. I have very minimal tools. But I wouldn't be without my 2 different sized robo grips. It might have been Karen who turned me on to those and they are miracle workers for me. Enough for now lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:45 pm

we all have what we deem useful and I'm sure other's would look and say WHY??? I too have Coral plates and glasses like glass glasses I probably have more stuff than needed even according to me and possibly will weed out some stuff when back in it... one thing though that I would really suggest is an outdoor rug especially when boondocking as it helps keep dirt outside and it makes the space in front of your "home" feel homeier ... but then when I get out to the desert I'm planted for months so perhaps I find them more important than say someone who pulls up stakes every week or so... and being in a 5th wheel I do have more space than what you will since it is also a bigger unit
you will know what you are comfortable with what fits your needs
sheila
snowball

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:43 pm

If you look at any Class C's with the bed over the cab check it out carefully because they are know to leak. That is an expensive repair.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:39 pm

Beth, I love my RoboGrip pliers! I will have to look into the bigger size as well. I do have a small tool kit. I also have a small toaster oven/air fryer I will probably take with me. I need to be able to bake cookies and make an occasional hot dish! What kind of induction top do you have?

Sheila, I do have a couple of outdoor rugs here. I will take one with me. I think they are made from recycled plastic and can just be hosed off if needed. They are RV rugs.

Anita, do you mean Mio drops? I have tried several drops and powders and most are too sweet but I will try the Mio one and see how that is. It sure would save me buying, storing (full and empty) and disposing (recycling) of the bottles of Propel.

Martha, I have done You-Tube research on what to look for as far as the signs of water leaks and damage inside and out. I even got a moisture meter that measures water behind walls. I have seen some RV's on Craigslist that have major delamination on the sides and backs of them that are very obvious in the photos. :shock:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby chalet05 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:27 pm

Yes, the Miso drops. I tried them years ago and don’t remember them being sweet but could be wrong. Daughter uses them.
Anita
chalet05

Return to General Talk