1st visit to El Quelite, MX

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

1st visit to El Quelite, MX

Postby asirimarco » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Went up to visit this little delightful town a couple of days ago. Fell in love with it - hope you will too.Thirty miles northeast of Mazatlan sits the beautiful little pueblito (village) of El Quelite, population 2,000.
So far this is my favorite town and that is saying something. Even the drive there was nice. We took the free road to the town turn off, then into the mountains. Wild bougainvillea grew along the road, cows wandered on the highway and occasionally we passed a cowboy on his horse. As we neared the town we saw the big yellow arch proclaiming “El Quelite.” Around the bottom of the arch were pots of flowers. We drove down the main street, dodging the chickens, teenagers on ATVs and little kids on their burros and parked in front of the plaza and Church.
The first thing we noticed as we drove under the arch into town was the color. Color everywhere! Of course the buildings – homes and businesses – vivid colors. Watermelon pink trimmed with lime. Yellow, orange, eye hurting green, purple, red – every color of a crayon box. Then the plants. Bougainvilleas from white to deep purple and every shade in-between. Sub-tropical plants growing along the streets, in pots on porches, even some cactus growing on a few roofs. The cobble stone streets are very clean, not a single stray piece of paper or trash any where. It is like walking into a fairy tale and being able to stroll around.
Some of the sights and sounds while there. Roosters crowing. A pickup truck with speaker driving around announcing very fresh fish for sale. Eventually he pulled up behind us and a couple of women came out to buy the fish. He took it out of his cooler and cut and weighed it then bagged it all in the bed of the pickup. Of course the vegetable truck and bottled water truck. Both were doing a brisk business as they drove around town. Then the pick up truck loaded with school kids, stopping now and then for one to get off.
As we were walking towards the restaurant a boy on a burro came riding up the street going who knows where. Mothers with strollers and older women with their umbrellas to keep the sun off. Roosters crowing.
We met lots of interesting people. The young man in his calf high white rubber boots who told us he worked in the little cheese factory in town. He had lived in the US and spoke excellent English. Said he preferred the town to the big cities.
Then the five women sitting around an old wooden table in the granary picking the stones out of the cow feed. Stopped and talked to them for a while. They would dump a bunch of grain in the middle of the table then pull a couple of handfuls towards them. Take out the stones and put the clean grain back into another bag. They had me take a picture of them. Bill had them all laughing by the time we left.
As I looked at the old buildings and homes it kind of jogs the mind to see the really old weathered tile roofs with laundry on the line and water tanks then right next to the tank is a big satellite TV antenna.
Saw some wonderful cactus, can’t describe them you’ll have to look at the pictures. And crowing roosters. As for the roosters - right across the street from where I was taking pictures of the weird cactus were several cages with loudly crowing roosters in them. We walked over to check them out. They are beautiful to see. Such colorful feathers. Orange chests, black bodies and iridescent green tails. Weren’t there long when the middle aged man who owns them came out to see what we were doing. Talked to him for awhile. He reached into the cage and took one out for us to look at. Then explained they were fighting cocks. I think he expected us to make typically American comments about “How terrible.” When we didn’t he kind of relaxed and told us there is a cockfighting training ranch in town. All the roosters are fighters. Kind of an “Oh,Boy” moment for us. But it is legal in Mexico and people take it really serious. After explaining this he walked over to talk to one of his friends – all the while petting his rooster.
We stopped at a big restaurant for brunch. The food was excellent, the service great and the ambiance marvelous. It was like being in a Disney Jungle World in Beverly Hills. All kinds of plants, even a live parrot – who took off out the door with the manager in hot pursuit. She got him back. The tables were set with the finest feeling cloth made in the village, a brilliant plaid material. The dinner wear was pottery made in the town. All the food was grown and or processed there. Fresh fruit, fresh cheese, eggs and ham. A hugh bougainvillea formed the roof overhead. And the bathrooms – never have I seen anything like them. Took a picture of the ladies room.
This is just part 1 of El Quelite – we returned on Valentines Day.
Pictures at http://www.movingon1.com/ElQueliteMexico
asirimarco

Re: 1st visit to El Quelite, MX

Postby Bethers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Carol,
I just realized that I'm glad I didn't get to MX this winter - as when I go, I'll have all these places I will have to make sure not to miss! Can't thank you enough for both the pictures and commentaries. All I can say is WOW
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 pm

More great pictures,... that church is beautiful. and those flowers, it seems like each house has roses all over it. Well, they looked like roses,... thanks Carol!
Cedar518

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 pm

Again, absolutely amazing, Carol! I never in my wildest dreams thought of Mexico in the light that you have photographed it. I am so appreciative of your comments and pics and knowledge of the places you have visited. You are truly a talented lady, and should really think about writing your own little Mexican Tourist Guidebook....I am serious.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Sparkle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm

That looked like a quite prosperous town. So clean and colorful. I loved how they built around the tree. I want the tablecloth. I want the pottery. I could get into serious trouble! What was the sink in the Ladies Loo made of?
Sparkle

Postby mtngal » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Your pics are the best yet, I see why you might call this town your favorite! It looks like something out of a fairy tale. I've just finished "On Mexican Time" by Tony Cohan. Now I want to read your whole blog!!! Ever consider a book?
Diana
mtngal

Postby dcricket » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 pm

I totally zoned in on the gorgeous pottery as well. Oh and the ladies room was so neat and the ladies picking stones and the boy on the burro and and and sensory overloooooooooooooooooad - POP :shock: :lol:
Another fabulous tag along experience in MX...thank you :)
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby snowball » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:42 am

have to say it again Carol so good and thanks so much for sharing with us!!! more than likely will not make it to Mexico and this has been so nice
sheila
snowball

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:43 am

I have a whole new appreciation of Mexico from my brief exposure to it thru your eyes. All this in the short time I've been on the forum. Thank you.
I agree, you should consider a book.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Liz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 am

Awesome! Thank you!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby SeeyaGal » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Reminds me so much of San Miguel De Allende and Guanajuato, I love love love all the iron work on the balconys and the Mexicans love flowers and the bougainvillas are everywhere!!! I would have loved to go to that town with you and we would have had a blast....we really need to go to Mexico together!!! Loved the table cloths!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Return to General Talk