Horse drawn RV

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Horse drawn RV

Postby Liz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:15 pm

I think someone posted a link about this NH man traveling in a homemade rv pulled by four horses. I just read in Tioga George's blog that he was in a terrible accident, hit by a semi. Killed two horses and he is in the hospital. Here's a link to the news article:

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=228
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Horse drawn RV

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Yes, I read that, but I didn't post because there is so much confusion about how it happened. The first story was two semi's running side by side and one plowed into the back of him. Another said, no, he was there and a semi did plow into him on the crest of a hill. Someone else said she had reported him for driving at night without lights. You don't know who to believe. Although I do agree, two horses were killed and Bob is in critical condition. It's such a shame as this was his trip of a lifetime.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Here is one of the responses to the article - which I believe is probably true:

Date: 02/11/2009 Guest:4 (Reference ID: 1761796) Name:Gene Email Address:thgr8waldopepper@centurytel.net Where did you meet or see Bob?:at the scene of the accident Comments: Despite protests to the contrary from those who read articles in distant newspapers about the accident, and wish to argue facts of which they do not have personal knowledge, I must say that you can''t believe everything that you read in the papers. Let me set Katie and anyone else straight and state for the record. The Macon Beacon reporter is correct as to his description of the locale. There was no hillcrest to limit visibility. There were no ''two trucks running side by side''. I saw the accident occur. I drive a gasoline tanker for a company based in Columbus, MS. At approximately 11:30 cst this morning, I was southbound on US 45, 6.7 miles N. of Scooba, MS, when I came upon Bob. I recognized his rig immediately as I''d seen it this past weekend North of Columbus. I changed lanes left to pass the vehicle. As I checked the right mirror, I observed a T.K. Stanley vehicle changing lanes left to pass Bob also. There was a second T.K. Stanley vehicle following close behind the first. This second vehicle did not change lanes. There occured the impact which blocked the highway for approximately an hour and a half. Two of the beautiful horses were dead at the scene. I cared for Bob until the arrival of emergency medical services. Bob asked about the condition of his horses and of Clementine. I found Clementine and brought her to him until he was being prepared for transport from the scene to Meridian. There was no one at the scene who appeared to be willing to take custody of Clementine. So, I sent my information with Bob to tell him when he recovers where Clementine is. I transported Clementine to Columbus and gave her to my wife who promptly took her to the vet. As of this writing, Clementine is staying at the vet''s overnight for observation. The vet did say that for a dog of her advanced years (a woman never discusses her age) she is doing remarkably well given what she''s just been through. She was ambulatory and her kidney/bladder funtions appear normal. If things progress as well in the morning, she''ll get a bath and much T.L.C. until she can be reunited with Bob.

But as Sparkle says we really don't know.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm

That sounds the closest to the real story that I've read. I know some people thought the dog had been stolen. Glad to see she is being taken care of. And isn't it typical of us RVers that he asked about his horses and dog. I understand he was pretty critically injured himself.
Sparkle

Postby islandmomma » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm

How absolutely terrible!!! I hate it when victims of tragic events are blamed for their misfortune. If farm vehicles or horse drawn vehicles are illegal then that law needs to be enforced. As others have commented though, as far as I know these beasts of burden who settled our continent are still legal on most public thoroughfares, aren't they? I hope this gentleman makes a swift recovery and am very saddened by the plight of his horses (who were more like family to him I am sure)... Semis passing each other are hazardous to all of us who drive more slowly even if in the slow lane...

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Postby mtngal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I was so sad to hear about Bob's accident, I've been following him for several months, my heart goes out to him for the lose of his two beautiful horses. (And the trucks scare me too, no way they can stop at those speeds).
Diana
mtngal

Postby avalen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:21 pm

oh no, this is just too sad
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby dcricket » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Was reading the various articles and such and my heart simply dropped. His blog site, his preps, his horses, his dreams - taken away. I've had my close calls with truckers in my A and even people in regular cars on the freeways. With all the man-made distractions these days, the roads are less friendly than they use to be -- sad :cry:
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby soisew » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:35 pm

We've been following the story. vist Bob's website -- his family is updating his condition there. http://www.wagonteamster.com. The news media had several stories out there and I read quite a few of the links off his site that his webmaster friend posted (go to the maps section off the "where's Bob" link to see the news story links showing exactly how inaccurate some of the information was). It's a horrible thing that happend to a guy who was just out to meet people and see the country slow pace.

A lot of misinformation was in some of those blogs I read...like it being illegal for farm equipment, horses, slow moving anything to be on the road, and it is on an Interstate highway but not on local highways. In our rural community we see that kind of traffic all the time and we get used to being prepared to deal with a combine taking up the road, a herd of cattle being driven somewhere, etc. It means drivers in rural areas must be more cautious.
soisew

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 am

Oh this is so sad, hated to hear his beautiful Horses were killed and he's in critical condition. I'm keeping him in my prayers for a quick recovery and able to rebuild and get new horses to complete his journey and mend his heart from such a horrible happening.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby avalen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 am

supposedly the family has posted an update but I can't seem to find it,
has anyone been able to find it and could post the link? In one of the
comments on the website it said at the bottom of the page to click on
the map and then it was on a link on that page but that page had no
links just a map. :?
avalen

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 am

How horribly sad is this story. I just pray Bob makes a full recovery and can still maintain his love of slowing down life to enjoy it more. I can't understand what two huge trucks were doing on a shoulderless road. Makes my stomach feel sick to think of it.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 am

I have been following this story,.... with much sadness. My heart goes out to this good man,... hopefully he will recover completely and in some way be able to continue with his dream.
Cedar518

Postby soisew » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Ava to get to the Google map with media news and updates click on "where's Bob". The media updates are there on the left. The family updates are usually posted on the "read" guest book page. You'll have to page down to find them because a lot of people are posting there and his family updates only every few days.
soisew

Postby avalen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 pm

thanks, I never tried the "read guestbook" page
avalen

Return to General Talk