Shona is dying

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Shona is dying

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Shona the Calico Cat hasn't been well since I left Port A. Now she has stopped eating, drinking and pooping. If she dies on the way to Huntsville, I'll put her in the back of the truck and bury her at Monte Sano State Park. She loved it there. If I have to get her put to sleep I'll ask if I can have her body and do the same. Nineteen years, quite a chunk of my life. And even a bigger chunk for my son, who was 6 when I got her. But she's had a really good life and a long one. :cry:
I'm on the border of Texas and Louisiana at a Rest Stop. Feeling like poop. Bogie is the only one of us who's happilly munching on his food and enjoying the trip. I only got honked at once going through Houston. Wow! I must be getting better. :D
Sparkle

Re: Shona is dying

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:08 pm

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Sparkle))))))))))))))))))))))))) I know this is so hard. And I thought she was doing better here, dang it. I hate that you're alone while this is happening. If you need to talk, or anything - call me anytime.

Give Shona a rub from me - and yes, I think burying her there would be the thing to do.

Hugs and love to you, my friend!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I am sooooooo sorry to hear this. Its never easy but I hope it will be a painless passing.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Getupngo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:27 pm

((((((((((((Sparkle))))))))))))

I'm so sorry. What a privilege to have a wonderful animal in your life for so many years. I hope her passing is an easy one.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby sharon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Ohhhhh Nooooo! I'm so very very sorry....wish I could be there to hug you and Shona and help you to do whatever you have to do. Poor baby, my heart goes out to you. Call me if you need to talk, or call Beth, don't try and do this on your own. We all love you.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mtngal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Big hug Sparkle, thinking about you and your longtime friend.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Redetotry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Sparkle I'm so sorry about Shona.
I hope you start feeling better soon, I wish I could zap you some of my Lemsip for your cold.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm

I have Theraflu, which I swear by. There is a nighttime and a daytime. So far I've only used the nightime. Don't want to be driving with any drugs, no matter how benign in my system. I think Lemsip is the same idea. I don't think my lungs are whistling as bad as they were last night. I sounded like a pipe organ. :roll:
Sparkle

Postby soisew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear your dear little one is dying. We went through that with our little old Feisty cat (18). It was hard but I think she wanted to die at home with us rather than be put down. The hard thing was it took days for her to wither away. At this point she probably isn't in much pain, just weak, sleepy and listless. The best thing you can do is just sit near her, talk to her and wait it out. If she's not in any pain she might be comfortable on a pillow on your lap for her final hours. In the end you'll both be at peace with it. The afterward part isn't easy. I was so hard to take out on our trip after she died, like some one was missing and she was missed. You may all think this is weird but we had her cremated, like our other pets. Since we were going mobile for good we still have her box of ashes on board. When we finally get our new home set up we are creating a memory garden for all our cremated pets. You'll get through it, just hang in there!
soisew

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Really so sorry about Shona. Know she has had a wonderful life with you. If I can help in anyway, please let me know.
All my love and a warm hug to both of you (Bogie too, of course).
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Mollysmom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Oh Sparkle, I'm so very sorry to hear about Shona.
Hugs to you and to Shona and Bogie.
Mollysmom

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:10 am

Sorry to hear Shona is failing. It's so hard to see them like that. We had one cat for 18 years. She was with us when my son was born so he didn't know life without her and took it hard. I think one of the reason they say cats have nine lives is that they don't give up easily.

If you need anything, I live south of I-10 but you are probably in north Louisiana. We are having a cold spell so stay warm and have a safe trip.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 am

Sparkle
so hard to hear about Shona. That is so hard to go through and there you are by yourself...We are all thinking of you
sheila
snowball

Postby WickedLady » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:33 am

Sparkle, I know exactly how you feel. My Pywacket was 18 when I lost him and it was very hard. My thoughts are with you. Hugs.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Orchid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 am

So sorry to hear about Shona. I've had and lost many cats and dogs, some being 18 or 19 years old when they passed. It's never easy. They become such a part of our lives. Hugs to you Sparkle. Cheryl
Orchid

Next

Return to General Talk