Travasak

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Travasak

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Has anybody used this bedding in their RV? If so, do you like it? After struggling to make up the twin beds in the PleasureWay, I'm thinking of ordering these. The beds are not simply mattresses you can lift to get sheets on the corners, but are attached to a wooden frame and almost impossible to lift and tuck in sheets. The Travasak is expensive, but may be worth it.

http://www.travasak.com/
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Travasak

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm anxious to see if any one has used them either Liz. It is horrible to make the bed in our RV. I have to use a spatula to squish the covers down beside the closets.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Couldn't you just get the sheets? I don't put my comforter down the sides - Camping World has the sheets only.

Just a thought - I have heard some say they made a bed sack type sheet set on their own - sewing the bottom together.

Reading about the Travel Sak - it doesn't sound like putting the sheets on is that much easier. Not sure I understand how the velcro works. I don't quite get it - would want to see them - especially at the price.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Liz, whats the difference between the Travasak and a sleeping bag?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby hike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:46 am

Born Free Motorhomes come with a Travasak so I have used one every night since August of 2005. They are easily washed. Well the twin size that I have is anyway. :D One side is heavier for winter and the other is lighter for summer. When I have the winter side up, I am nice and warm even on the coldest nights. They have the outer shell and sheets on the inside that are attached to the outside with velcro. That is what makes them better than the normal sleeping bag. As I said, I have used the same one nightly for 3+ years and it still looks like new. The zippers work flawlessly. I wouldn't be without one if I had a bed that could not be made easily with sheets. I just fold mine up in the morning and put it into a cupboard above my bed. At night I just drop it down and open it up and my bed is ready.
hike

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 am

I have never used one, but have heard only good things about them, albeit they are expensive.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 am

Sounds like the expense is worth it - unfortunately, they come in twin or queen, my bed is a weird full :( Sounds like they would be great for your new PW, Liz.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Pooker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 am

I've wondered about the worth of spending the extra money for a Travasak, too, but I have some questions for those who use them:

1) Since they use velcro on the sheets, don't they get all tangled and stick to each other when you wash them?

2) For a permanent bed setup (as opposed to the folks who roll theirs up each morning), wouldn't the mattress show around the bottom, etc. since it basically sits on top?

Karen - a sleeping bag is a padded envelope that zips up to close. A sort of cocoon. You are sleeping directly on the flannel fabric inside the bag. You must air them out often, because you really shouldn't wash them in a washer every week or they would soon wear out.

The Travasak has an outer layer that is reversible - warm side on top in cold weather, lighter side on top in warm weather. The "sheets" are liners that attach inside the shell for a snug regular bed feel and you wash the sheets as often as you would regular ones.

Is that clear as mud?

Someone with a bit of sewing talent could make a similar item or even liners for a regular sleeping bag, if they wanted to try.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:13 pm

I had a Travasak years ago. It must have been the queen size because I remember it being big and bulky and hard to work with. A twin size would be more manageable. I have two sofas now that make twin beds. Since there is nothing to tuck the sheets under I took a twin fitted sheet and sewed the top sheet to the bottom sheet across the bottom. Works for me.

Also, I can't recommend a memory foam mattress topper enough. They are great! I have a 2" that came with a cover with a fitted skirt like a fitted sheet. Can't remember where I got it because I looked at them all over. It might have been at Kole's. Sometimes they put them on sale for half price.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 pm

I have memory foam toppers too. I also cut seat-size memory foam and cover it with a pillow case for my driver's seat. That makes long driving days much more comfortable. I ordered a set of Travasaks, so will give you my opinion after I've used them awhile. The description says they drape over the mattress like a quilt would, so side of mattress wouldn't show. Thanks for all the input.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Liz, I never thought of the memory foam for my drivers seat - going to do that. I'll also take a piece with a pillowcase for behind me where I've been using a regular pillow. Thanks for that great idea.

Pooker, I do believe the mattress, etc would show using the travelsak on our beds. Would have to figure out a way to hide that - maybe keep a fitted sheet on all the time - but with not sleeping on it - it wouldn't have to be changed as often. I'm actually thinking about just buying the sheets - but without the covers on them, they probably wouldn't stay in place on the bed.
Beth
Bethers

Postby hike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Pooker, the sheets do not get tangled in the wash because they only have the loop side on them. The hook side is on the outer shell and I never wash them together. The two outer shell pieces are a machine full by themselves.
hike

Postby Pooker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Great! Let's let Liz be our testor. Let us know how you make out, Liz. And I love your foam in a pillowcase idea, too! My driver's seat is only comfy for the first hour or so and then it's wiggle time. Gotta try your idea!

Beth - I thought maybe some sort of homemade bedskirt or something, but now that I put in a one size smaller mattress it isn't as hard to make 'cuz I have that 3" on each side for my hand to tuck. Still have to climb on top of the bed to change it, tho. I just have a quilt on top that I cut to fit exactly side to side and a tad longer on the bottom that shows. It's just one of those $19.99 any size ones that are offered in K Mart or Walmart from time to time. That way I sort of flip the whole thing up to make the bed each morning.

In case any of you are puzzled, Beth and I both have those awful corner beds with walls on 3 1/2 sides! But, hey, we put up with the inconvenience in order to have a real bed!
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 pm

But, Evie, you have the advantage here - yours was a queen, you could change and get a full. Mine is already a full - I don't want to go down to a twin :( So, I can't do what you did. And I love my rig including that corner bed, just hate making the bed :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby Excel » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:36 pm

I too, have the rear corner bed & learned pretty quickly that using regular sheets, blankets, etc. when making the bed was more than I wanted to put myself through. Bought the Travasak & have never been sorry. Absolutely love it.... 8-)

Safe & memorable travels to all....
Excel

Next

Return to General Talk