Caravan to Alaska?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Caravan to Alaska?

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:56 pm

I am going to Alaska this summer - so far I know of one person from my singles forum that is also going - and we're hoping to caravan - and there has been interest from several here - so throwing it back out to see if there's anyone else who might want to.

This would be a very loose caravan - we'd like to stay together going up and hopefully again back - but would probably not stay together all the time up there - although that's always possible. However, I won't be making reservations up there- intend to follow where ever the whim takes me - of course, after planning a potential route (I rarely follow my best laid plans LOL) Of course, things could tighten up a tad if that would make some more comfortable.

I do not want a big group - 3-6 or so rigs would be good. Enough to have company and others around if anyone has problems, but not a big group to control.

OK - speak up if you're interested. Looking to spend 3 months up there - maybe a tad more or less - But basically go up end of May/early June and drive back into the US end of Aug/early Sept.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Caravan to Alaska?

Postby Sparkle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 pm

I'm just sorry that I already made a commitment to work at the Kaibab for the summer. I never thought she would really do it. I should have known better!
Sparkle

Postby Paulette » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:13 am

Would if I could, but don't see me being able to do this for a while yet. Will travel vicariously with you and whomever goes along!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Marslet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 am

Beth, would love to go, but am planning to go by way of the wet trail. We have booked a cruise the end of August. This will be our first and probably last trip to Alaska, so we decided to do a cruise because of time constraints with hubby still working full time. I will be following your trip to see if there are things we are interested in and can see while on the cruise.
Of course, Alaska is one of the places my to be SIL could be stationed after summer of 2010. May see it by car yet. :lol:

Marslet

Marslet

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 pm

Well, yes, Beth...I'm a-saving my $$$ with all intentions of going, God willing. What route are you thinking of going up? I was thinking of an Alberta to Alaska Highway route that enters Canada through Glacier National Park and would include travel to Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 pm

Sounds like we have 3, then. And I posted on the other forum, also - but that route works great for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I wanted to bring this to the top in case there's anyone else considering this trip. Here's a very loose trip plan I typed up for myself - very loose, because it's very changeable:

OK - here's my very loose itinerary - no time frame - many stops can be made between any of these - any of it can be changed - and there are some places I've been told not to miss and need to add into it - like the one tour I have for Valdez is on there - I had intended to do the ferry for sure, but am vacillating on that. I've been told by some people that I cannot stay in the rv at all, but my dog cannot come up to the stateroom with me - I'd be allowed a few minutes here and there to go walk her, etc. Not sure I'm willing to do that.

OK - anybody have any thoughts on this:

Alaska 2009 General Itinerary

1. Glacier Park, Montana
2. Banff Nat’l Park (Lake Louise), Calgary, CA
3. Columbia Ice Fields (just north of Banff)
4. Prince George, BC
• Dawson Creek, BC – Milepost 0
• Liard River, BC (hot springs)
• Watson Lake -> Whitehorse -> Dawson City (all YT)
• Chicken, AK
5. Tok, AK
6. Fairbanks, AK
7. Denali Nat’l Park, AK
8. Anchorage, AK
9. Seward, AK
10. Homer, AK
11. Kenai, AK
12. Palmer, AK
13. Valdez, AK (will take the LuLu Belle Tour – www.lulubelletours.com)
14. Destruction Bay, AK
15. Skagway, AK

Two Choices now – drive or ferry????

Ferry: Skagway – Bellingham, WA or Skagway – Prince Rupert, Canada (figure $2K)

Or – drive:
16. Boat cruise from Skagway –> Juneau
17. Iskut, BC
18. Stewart, BC
19. Smithers, BC
20. Prince George, BC
21. -> Bellingham, WA
22. Port Angeles, WA
23. All points south!
Beth
Bethers

Postby soisew » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

We are planning to get to Alaska someday and we too will be carvaning with friends but it won't be this summer. My sister's whole family in coming here the second week in July. Have fun!
Shell
soisew

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 am

Beth, I kind of decided that about the ferry after listening to the speaker at the Tampa RV show. There is a loong (12hr) run in Canada...1000 miles between Bellingham and Haines that cost $3500 one way. He did say that by using the ferry on the return trip and getting on at Prince Rupert, BC you can save half, but it still involves three 8-hr trips....too much for me and my pets, I think.

My memory is foggy and I didn't take notes but I think I remember him recommending using the ferry for short hops especially to places where cruise ships don't go, such as Wrangall. You get off at each stop, camp a couple of days & explore, then catch the ferry again to another place. Doing that kept the ferry time to about 2 hours. Plus, by doing it that way the cost was much less and you didn't need reservations. We'll have to look into that possibility.

Good job on the itinerary, Beth. You might also want to consider Wrangall/St. Elias NP, the largest in AK, ....one of my favorites on my trip last summer with not very many tourists.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby mtngal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am

Oh I am sooooooo envious! I will be with you guys in spirit!
Diana
mtngal

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am

We can't do it this summer, too much to do here. But if we make it west next winter, we would love to go for the summer of 2010. You all have lots of fun for us. Maybe you'l love it so much you'll want to go back when we can go. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am

Liz, between the cost of the ferry- and the prossible abandonment of my dog, I'm leaning towards not doing it - but had planned doing it stopping and coming back on just as you say. It will have to be decided once up there - where I can talk to them and get firsthand information (the state websites and travel websites on the ferry are not really forthcoming.)

I thought I had Wrangell in there - ha - will have to go back and add. That's why it's a loose itinerary- cuz I figure stay however long anywhere, etc - and add or subtract things (I don't see subtracting anything!) as a whim strikes.
Beth
Bethers

Postby sharon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 am

Beth, if you have time, on your way down to Homer, try and spend at least 1 night on the beach at Ninilchuk. It's a dry camp, $10 per night, can't remember if it's paved, but even if it's not, there's no chance of getting stuck there. The neat thing about it is, it's where a lot of the fishing boats put in, so as a result, a lot of fish tails and heads get washed ashore. There are a ton of eagles that consider that beach their personal buffet and the photo opportunities are awesome! It's also the only place that we walked on the beach and picked up dozens of eagle feathers that the eagles had no more use for. Altho, come to think of it, this beach isn't in Ninilchuk, it's down the road from there toward Homer. If you're interested, I'll look up the info and send it to you.

Also remember that if you do pick up feathers, they're considered protected by the US (any bird of prey, not just eagles), so you need to mail them home or to a friends house, can't bring them across the border. The other thing is if you buy a souvenir that has walrus tusk or any thing to do with sea mammals, you can't bring that across the Canadian border, also has to be mailed. Deer, elk, caribou or moose antlers are ok to bring back across both borders. I did 1 huge mailing just before I came back. Feel free to use my address if you need to and I'll get whatever you mailed to you when you get back. It would also give you a good excuse to come to SoCal and visit....plenty of room here, with power and water, hot shower, Wifi and free restaurant! LOL!

Another fun place to stay is the Sourdough Cg, in the first town you come to in Alaska. It's a little pricey, but so much fun it's not to be missed. Google it, they have a great website and was the most fun place we stayed. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

So I got nosy and googled it myself, and lo and behold, my BIL is still on there doing the pancake toss...what a trip! Looks like they're also looking for workcampers, so any of you that still need a job, I can tell you that the owners are great people and just as nice as can be. All of the w/c that we talked to when we were there just loved it.

http://www.sourdoughcampground.com/
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Sharon, you might mean Deep Creek just before Ninilchik? People dry camp down by the inlet and there's a CG on the other side of the road.
AlmostThere

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Sorry I cannot tag along but found a bit of info you might want to keep tabs on in planning for your trip.

USGS (Jan. 29) - In the shadows of Mount Redoubt, Alaskans are calmly waiting for the volcano to erupt -- an event that could occur at any time.
"The level of seismic activity" has "increased markedly" in recent days at the 10,197-foot peak located about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, the state's most populous city, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.
Scientists raised the alert status Sunday to a "watch" level, the second-highest, based on seismic activity detected January 23.
The "watch" status means the "volcano is exhibiting heightened or escalating unrest with increased potential of eruption, time frame uncertain, or eruption is under way but poses limited hazards," according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Mount Redoubt last erupted nearly 20 years ago, in December 1989, and that lasted until April 1990. Geologists think there could be an eruption "similar to or smaller than the one that occurred in 1989-90." Learn more about Redoubt and its history »
That eruption spread ash in Kenai and Anchorage, where it disrupted air traffic operations. Cervelli said the ash plumes caused engine failure on a jet.
Falling ash is a potential problem. The best way to protect yourself from the harmful showers of ash is to wear a mask,.................... "The ash can get into your engines and mess up your car."
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Next

Return to General Talk