A Taste of Port Aransas

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

A Taste of Port Aransas

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 pm

Beth suggested we do the Taste of Port Aransas. About 24 participating restaurants, bars and gift shops. All for $15.00. Sounded good to me!
The first Restaurant we went to was the Seafood and Spaghetti Works. We had Mullagatawny Soup and then Bread Pudding. Delicious!

Then we went to Moby Dicks.

Beth found a friend.

We got a really good Tasting there. Two BIG Shrimp, Potato, Chicken, Biscuit and Gravy and a Fondant Cake. Look at the plateful!

Then onto Port A Seafood for more Shrimp (small) we were getting picky by this time. But their Crabcake was excellent.
Next was Castaways where we had more Crabcake and Elvis. Huh! Did you say Elvis? Oh Yeah. Guess who left his stage and made a beeline for...none other than...He complained that she left the party before he had a chance...to what...?

When I finally dragged Beth out of there we went onto other restaurants. We had Pizza and a sample of beer at Port A Brewing Co. At a gift shop they had these clever treats. Called Bacon & Eggs. They were mini pretzel sticks with a blob of frosting and a yellow M&M. Aren't they cute?
Most of the places had seafood, a couple of them had Seafood Gumbo, but as there is sausage in that I couldn't have it. We also passed on the ribs. One of the restaurants had this Marlin above the bar.
Another restaurant had French Fries, Chicken and what we thought was fried Zuchini until we bit into it. They were Deep Fried dill Pickle. Really good. My shutter didn;t open all the way, I've got a grain of sand in there.

By this time we were pretty much staggering from the weight of food we had consumed, but we thought we'd try one more. We drove by Castoways to get there and I thought my truck was stalling. But it was Beth willing the truck to stop. so we went back in and had a beer and enjoyed more elvis. He really does put on a good show. I allowed a photo of myself with Elvis to be taken. :lol:
Sparkle

Re: A Taste of Port Aransas

Postby avalen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 pm

well worth the $15 for sure, and what yummy looking food, and the bacon & eggs....
so cute! and a very clever idea.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm

The hand, that damn hand. I tried to get her pic with Elvis - but only Sparkle had a camera with and when she saw my hand reach for the camera - she grabbed it so quick - I didn't know she could move that fast.

Also - she didn't tell you that he was teasing her throughout several songs about taking her sweater off - and she actually started to lift it. You never saw an entire place laugh so hard - and Elvis jump back so fast. But yep, he came back for more with her. Don't let her fool you into thinking it's all Elvis and me. He's a great entertainer.

Had no clue he played there till we got there for our tasting. Unlike Sparkle's order of things - while we saw he was playing the first time there - we just ate and ran - then after we were too stuffed to hit several more places on the list - we went back there for a beer and more Elvis - that's when the pics were taken. Oh, but he did say the evening the other night could have ended differently if I hadn't disappeared lolol - yeah, uh huh - guess what - we disappeared again tonight. Always leave them wanting more :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I would recognize that hand anywhere. :D You guys made out like bandits. That food sure looked good. The Chamber of Commerce here sponsors something like that except the restaurants set up tables in a big reception hall and you go to each table.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Orchid » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:08 am

Same here Martha. The restaurants set up booths and you walk around and taste specialties of each business. No way is it as neat as what you guys did. I was wondering how you managed to waddle out of the last place and get into Sparkle's truck? :lol: Cheryl
Orchid

Postby Pooker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 am

Wow! They didn't have anything like that when Sharon and I were there, Beth! Sparkle gets all the fun. Boo Hoo. She even gets Elvis? I bet it wasn't even her behind that hand! Yeah. I bet you guys made it all up. We all know Elvis is in Las Vegas.

Food looked great and such a deal!
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Liz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 am

Our local mall does a "Taste of Ocala", but it's not nearly as nice as that one, and costs more too. I'd love all that seafood, and it looks like much more fun to go to the actual restaurants. I'd think that having done that, customers would be more apt to go back to the restaurants later too. Of course, what REALLY makes it fun is going along with you two!. Thanks for the photo tour.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 am

A night to remember, for sure! Going from restaurant to restaurant worked in Port A because its such a small town. If we had to fight cross town traffic it would have been a hassle, but basically we went in a triangle. Elvis has beautiful costumes. I said to Beth, I bet their is a catalogue of Elvis clothing somewhere. He must have more impersonators than any other entertainer. Here's a question...anybody here actually see the real Elvis?
Sparkle

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 am

What a deal... all that fun for $15.
Cedar518

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:12 am

I saw the real Elvis in 1976 on stage. It was so good and the amazing thing was the age span of the audience. I saw a girl of around 10 and a lady in probably her fifties fighting over a scarf he threw from the stage. My group had seats in the third row, center stage. We were at work one morning and had the radio on, they made an announcement that Elvis was going to be in town for a concert and the only way to get tickets was to mail in your order. The ladies in my area left in mass, just scribbled out our orders and ran out yelling Elvis is coming we have to get our tickets. The ones who hadn't heard the announcement and the men, just watched in amazement as we ran out the door. At the post office a man was just getting ready to take the mail out and we screamed wait, wait we have to get our tickets for Elvis. He laughed and put them on top assuring us they would go right out. He must have made good on his promise because we got super seats.
I decided I wasn't going to make a spectacle of myself and sat in my chair for maybe 15 minutes, the next thing I knew I was on my feet screaming hysterically along with everyone else. It was a wonderful night. After Elvis had left the building, we went to the local hotel where he was staying and as we walked in, his back up band, JD Sumners and the Stamps were coming in and asked us to have drinks with them in the dining room! It's a wonder I lived through the excitement of that evening. I remember some of the conversation and that one had on a beautiful embroidered levi jacket. Oh, my one girlfriend was horrified saying they would think we were groupies, I had no idea what a groupie was and looked at her like she had lost her mind. She went along and seemed to enjoy herself, it was nothing more than drinks and a very lovely evening to remember. But after that she said she didn't want to go places with me because I had too much fun. I decided maybe she had indeed lost her mind! Sadly, she soon married an alcoholic and had a very 'unfun' life.
What a good memory on this cold winter snow storm morning.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 am

Redetotry- that sure is a good memory. And it's so sad when a "friend" doesn't want you to have a good time. Always have to wonder about that. Why bother going if you don't want to have a good time.

Sparkle and I commented last night just how much fun we've been having this 2 months. It's been an incredible time. We both love Port A and the area - and just have so much fun doing things. And the things one doesn't enjoy - we don't do together - well, except when I was going to bingo for her. Hmmmmp, lol - at least she got over that.

I've done tasting where it's all in one bldg, too - this was better. But again, it wouldn't have been realistic if it was a town much larger than this. And boy, did we luck out weatherwise. Was a great night.

And, no, I saw lots of musicians, but never the real Elvis. But I'm sure having fun with this one ;)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm

You all got your moneys worth! $15 bucks for all that food! :shock: But I am a little worried about this Elvis. I think he is stalking ya'll!! Which one of you is he stalking? :lol:
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I think WE are stalking HIM! :twisted: Now we know where he will be every Monday! :lol:
Sparkle

Postby Mollysmom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Here's a link to "Elvis wear" - looks like fun stuff :D
http://www.b-k-enterprises.com/store/costumes.html

My Mom loved Elvis !! On our last Thanksgiving together Mom came over to my place for dinner and we watched Blue Hawaii together - that's a wonderful memory. I know Mom loved it and I loved being with her so, thanks Elvis !!
Mollysmom

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks Trudy! Did you see some of the prices? Quite an investment those guys have to make.
Sparkle

Next

Return to General Talk