Selling the Roadtrek

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Selling the Roadtrek

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 am

Yep, I plan to call the CU Monday morning and ask that very thing, thanks.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby rvgal » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:29 am

Liz,
I would insist on US cash ONLY. There should be no problem with that since the RT will be picked up in person. Any cashier's check or money order can be fake. The idea that a check clears in 3 days & is guaranteed good is a fallacy. Banks issue what is called "provisional credit". That's a temporary assumption by the bank that the check will eventually clear. But in reality, in can take weeks or months for a check to go completely thru the banking process & truly be cleared.
rvgal

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:40 am

Liz, tell him to bring cash US and meet you at the credit union - that way they can also check for counterfeit money. Just sign the title over and file your part of the title to show you sold it (Texas has a form you file) and advise your insurance company. If he balks at meeting you at credit union I would wonder why. Just tell him your credit union suggested this method of transfer because of counterfeit cashier's checks and money orders. If he's honest he shouldn't mind.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 pm

That's good advice, thanks Karen. And thanks to all for the great advice. I had a couple come to see the RT this morning from a neighboring county....regular people. They used to travel in a 40' deisel pusher. They seem interested, but are just beginning to look. (Actually, they seemed interested in the Pleasureway too. :lol: ) Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer. I'd much rather sell to someone like that than the one in Naples.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Gentleladybear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Good Luck to you Liz, think meeting them at the CU is the only way to go. If they are honest they will understand your need for safety. They should appreciate it. Hope your sale goes as you want it to.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby WickedLady » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 pm

U.S. cash is the only way to go when you don't know the person you are dealing with.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:33 am

Just spoke to a Cdn who has purchased twice in the US from private parties. I'll quote him rather than paraphrasing:
Having done this a couple of times myself all the new owner needs to do is take the plate off his vehicle at home, put it on the new vehicle temporarily. He has either 10 or 14 days to transfer ownership. Best to contact his insurer. The owners vehicle insurance at home will cover the new vehicle for that period.

I still say it's not something you need to worry about, Liz - it's his responsibility to take care of that end. It's different if he purchased from a dealer - but so is it for any of us.

Good luck - it's exciting that you have so much interest right away.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm

wow,... everyone has given you great advice,...but as I'm such a worry-wort if it were me i'd ask for cash and have him meet me at credit union so it could be verified as legit u.s. currency. no end to the possiblity of scam here,.... and they are probalby perfectly fine. like i said, i worry,... usually unecessarily.
Cedar518

Postby Liz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Today I drove the Pleasure Way to church (about 30 miles) to see how she handled on the highway, test the cruise control, and fill the gas tank. All went well and she was admired by all at church.

I don't have the Roadtrek sold yet, but have been getting some calls, Emails, and showed it once. I also spoke with the potential Canadian buyer's friend in Naples again....told him if his friend is still serious he needs to bring US cash and I will meet him at my credit union with the RT. If after he sees it he wants it, we'll sign papers there. The friend seemed to think that would be fine, says it will take him a day or two to get money transferred down here from his acct. in Canada etc. and will call. I'm in a learning curve here with online advertising and sales, but am taking everyone's advice and proceeding with an abundance of caution. The friend tells me he is simply acting as translator for his friend. I plan to call the Credit Union tomorrow and make sure it's ok to do that.
Liz
Liz

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Truthfully, as a potential buyer, I would not carry that kind of cash nor purchase with that kind of cash. I'd be willing to do a bank transfer, or a money order - I mean, it's not just about the sale being safe for the seller, but for it being safe for the buyer, also. Talk to your credit union about what they say is safe - and follow their advice, not ours. Don't lose a potential sale over this. I mean, truthfully, sales of that kind of cash trigger things like money laundering, etc - people just don't normally transact business that way.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Gentleladybear » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:41 am

Bethers I agree with what you are saying here. Go get advice from the experts in this field and the same way as far as the tags and etc. We all have our opinions but nothing like getting it straight from the experts.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Echo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 am

Don't think I'd want to be wandering around with that kinda of cash either.

But as to tags?? That is his responsibility. Once he has paid you for the Roadtrek and you have signed the title over to him it's his baby. All registration, title changing, insurance, tags and getting it to Canada is up to him, not you.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Marslet » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 am

Liz,
Can't tell you what to do, but would just like to quote my mom, "Cash talks". Won't have a problem if you are worried if he can pay for it. Once the cash passes hands and the bill of sale is signed, the problem is no longer yours. He can go and eat it if he wants to, not your legal problem any longer.
Would hate for you to lose a good sale over that. If he brings you good old US cash, have Credit Union check for counterfiet, sign the bill of sale, and go on your merry way.

Marslet

Marslet

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I called the CU this morning...they said it was fine to bring it there, they'd check the cash, and would even prepare the bill of sale for me & help transfer of title, etc. I've been a member there for years and they know me. So if this Canadian guy is legit and has no problem bringing cash, why should I worry? I'll deposit it while I'm at the CU, so I won't be carrying it around.
Liz
Liz

Postby Gentleladybear » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:19 am

Aren't the CU's great. They give us services we can't get anywhere else. Good deal Liz, hope this all works out for you.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Previous

Return to General Talk