San Antonio Zoo

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

San Antonio Zoo

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:16 am

We all went to the San Antonio zoo after having lunch at the Riverwalk. I always have mixed emotions at zoos - love to see the animals up close BUT hate seeing them in cages. I was spoiled by living near the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park where most of the animals had big natural areas to roam. My friend are leaving this morning and I'm really gonna miss them.

The first sight I saw when we entered the zoo was the FLAMINGOS!!

This duck was gorgeous - looks like someone went crazy with a paintbrush.

I feel kinda like this guy looks - seems like all we've done is eat.

This guy could use a manicure.

A picture of my personal zoo.

Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: San Antonio Zoo

Postby soisew » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:40 am

I've been to a few zoos but like you it makes me very sad. I know zoos give them the best food and medical care but a life confined in a cage is prison no matter how you look at it. Who knows, maybe the animals don't mind...

The SAT zoo is ok. I was there in the mid-70's when I lived there for a year and have been to the Denver zoo, not made the big San Diego animal park and maybe if we get out there will go.

As I said I lived in San Antonio from Nov. 1975 to Nov. 1976...it was neat to see the historical places like the missions and the Alamo but I can't say I really liked the area. I scorpions and snakes didn't do a thing for me. I've never walked barefoot anywhere since then...We stopped for a visit there back in about 2004, stayed on Lackland AFB and saw the sights and how the city had changed since I lived there. As with any city of any size it grew a lot and I can't say it was all for the better. The Riverwalk and the Alamo are still about the same but the traffic was pretty bad and urban sprawl was very unbecoming. Nice place to visit but can't say I'd consider living there again.
soisew

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks for sharing the pics - love to see them. And your own zoo one is my favorite. Good to see the girls ;)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Love the flamingo's! And the bear seriously needs a manicure. :lol: Your own little zoo is the cutest!
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Mollysmom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Great pictures, thanks for sharing !
I can't believe how long that bear's claws are !!! WOW - I'd hate to have him angry with me :shock:
Mollysmom

Postby snowball » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:39 pm

they are doing so much with zoo's now a lot of them have the natural visita's and don't have the for real cage. Yes they are not free to roam over the delta but they are being taken care of feed and in a lot of species protected from no longer being there. Zoo's do have there place in the world some are better than others I love going to zoo's but only those that are into the natural settings.
Sheila
snowball

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 am

Yep, the bear is beautiful, but needs a toenail clip..... don't think I'll volunteer for the job. Guess not being in its own natural habitat the bear isn't getting the opportunity to use it's claws and keep them worn down. Bears are my favorite,...
Cedar518

Return to General Talk