Update on my brother

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Update on my brother

Postby avalen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm

my brother has been moved to a different hospital and put in the rehab area. He still has some swelling on the brain, but the doctors are saying that when the swelling goes down completely, his recovery will go much better. They are saying he will make a full recovery, but I'm not sure what that means to them. Right now he can't even get out of bed on his own. They have a lift that they use to set him in a chair for a hour. His right side is working fine. He can use the remote control, but he looks at it for awhile before he actually uses it. He is talking very softly in short sentences. He also has to think about his answers first before they come out. He does have some nerve reaction on his paralized foot, so that's good. They are giving him very high doses of meds to keep his blood pressure down. They started him on applesauce two days ago. Yesterday he got to eat some pudding. His throat muscles will have to get stronger before they let him eat a regular diet.
I am hopeful he does make a full recovery but I'm sure it will take a long time. My
sister and I both don't think he will be able to go back to work but time will tell and
my prayers continue for him in his recooperation.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Update on my brother

Postby WickedLady » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 pm

I don't think they would say 'full recovery' if he was going to have residual problems. Let's hope his recovery goes smoothly and as quickly as possible.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby mtngal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 pm

That's so good Ava, thanks for letting us know. One day at a time for his full recovery.
Diana
mtngal

Postby Gentleladybear » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Ava our prayers are with you and your brother, hoping the full recovery is just that. Hopefully he will begin to make some great strides forward as they decrease the meds he is on now.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Glad t hear he's doing so well. We'll all pray for a full recovery.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

good news Ava,.... thanks for the update.
Cedar518

Postby asirimarco » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 pm

So glad to hear that there has been improvement. Actually it seems quite a bit. I'm sure with continued prayers it will continue. Thanks for the update I was wondering.
asirimarco

Postby cookiemom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Ava,

Well that is encouraging news on your brother. I'm so glad to hear it. I will continue to keep him in my thoughts.
Close to Mesa Verde National Park in Southwest Colorado
cookiemom

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm

They say full recovery, but did they say how long it will be for him to get to that level? It may be a while, so keep your spirits up. Keep us posted and we will keep him lifted in prayer.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Ava,
I'm so glad to hear that he's improving. And I'm sure that the improvement will speed up when the swelling goes down, down down. Praying for that to happen quickly now.

Thanks for the update - like others, I've been wondering - and have been keeping him and the family in my thoughts.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Mollysmom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm

It sounds like your brother is improving and that's great news !
I'm sure it doesn't feel that way to you and your family, but it'll take time and "baby steps" -
I'll be sure and keep him in my prayers.
Thanks for the update
Mollysmom

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks for that update, Ava.....I've been thinking about your brother, and figured you'd let us know in good time. The news sounds VERY hopeful, and I am so very happy for you all.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 am

They can do amazing things in rehab hospitals, with therapy usualy 2-3 times a day. My husband was in a rehab hosp. for 3 months after being rear-ended in a car accident resulting in a spinal cord injury and "shaken" brain injury. He had Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech therapy (for tongue & swallowing exercise mostly) and cognitive therapy. He had to learn to feed himself, swallow, bear weight & walk again. But he walked out of there. It took about a year for the brain to fully recover from short term memory difficulties and attention span.

It sounds like your brother has made some progress already. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Paulette » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 am

One day at a time. Sounds like he is making progress, though I'm sure it isn't as fast as you all would like to see. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Paulette » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am

One day at a time. Sounds like he is making progress, though I'm sure it isn't as fast as you all would like to see. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Next

Return to General Talk