Trauma, Angst, Palpitations!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Trauma, Angst, Palpitations!

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:59 pm

So what else is new? Beth and I went to Mexico yesterday for the final dentist visit. We shopped till we dropped. Went to some areas we hadn't been to before and found some really neat shops not on the strip. Every time we go we try to find a different restaurant. The first one was too upscale, the second one, you got pics last time, was nice, we were tempted to go back, but we found this one called Rene's. It was recommended to us by one of the street venders. And Mexicans were eating there, not many tourists. You get serenadad at your table, where is a balcony when I need one?
So where is the Trauma you are asking. Well the night before I was getting everything together and couldn't find my Permanent Resident Card. Yes, the infamous Green Card! It was the ONLY card missing from my wallet. I had my Passport, my Drivers Licence and a photocopy of the missing card. I have photocopies of all my cards. So as I had to get my teeth done I decided to chance it. Well that was a mistake. I was taken out of line and sent to see the Officer of the Day. My options were: Beth could drive back and pick up my card (I had said it must be in my other purse) that was a 3 hour each way drive, plus even if it had been in my other purse she wouldn't know where to look. OR I could pay $540.00. By this time I was having palpitations. Finally he said there was another option. If I hadn't had a paperwork waiver before, they could do a one time waiver. I assured him I hadn't had one before. By this time Beth had joined me in THE ROOM. It took them about an hour just to stamp the paper. He kept coming back asking, where are you living now. Why is your address South Dakota. Where were you born. Where did you obtain this Passport.
So now I'm ripping my rig apart. It MUST be here somewhere. BHut it was still a great day! I have to find my card so I can go back one more time before I leave.
Sparkle

Re: Trauma, Angst, Palpitations!

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 pm

When was the last time you saw/used the original card? I'm getting palpitations just reading about that!
Cedar518

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Wow, that's scarey! I could just see all of us having to caravan down and come to your rescue. Guess we would have to put a chain on the bars and do a real bust out! Gosh,the more I type about this the more creative I can get, bet the rest of the gals can get even more creative in saving your arse! Sounds like Beth hung in there for ya, just like a good sista and friend should.

Now find that dang card!
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 pm

The last time I KNOW I had my card was the last time I went to Mexico, about three weeks ago. I had it in my hand when we went through the Border Guards Checkpoint, about 60 miles into the USA from the Mexico border. They didn't even ask to see it...after that...who knows? My rig is going to be spotless within a week. Because I started at one end, and even though I know its not in a kitchen drawer I'm taking no chances. I can get a replacement when I go to Alabama in February. It will cost me about 250.00 I think Beth said (at that point I could no longer hear or see, let alone think).
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:22 pm

What Sparkle isn't telling you- is that before I got someone to let me back on the other side of the gate (I had already been sent through), they had already finally told her that they would waiver the fee IF they didn't find it had ever been done before. But when I got in the ROOM - she was doing her best not to cry - her eyes were filled with tears - so once I knew she was "getting out" and doing so free - I was making jokes of the situation to help her stop the palpitations. But, I must admit, even if I was trying not to show it, every time the man came back with another question, my heart went pitter patter. Cuz until we were back on the US side of the gate, it didn't matter what they said, the papers weren't signed.

After they were signed, I did ask him how she would go about getting her card replaced if she wasn't able to find it- and that's when he told me the replacement card is (I think) $270 - cuz my jaw dropped - and I do remember saying, 1/2 the price you wanted because it was missing now. Geez.

I have a new respect for the illegal aliens - they can't afford to be legal.

I was telling this story to a friend today and he was teasing me that I'm now going to be on America's Most Wanted for helping illegal aliens into the US.

Now, one more note - Sparkle never once mentioned to these guys that she's been here 40 years and her son is serving in Iraq at this moment. I probably would have been trying to throw that around to gain sympathy. And I was going to if things hadn't finally happened.

All this said, we really did have a good time in Mexico - and if she can find that dang card, we'll go back down there before she leaves.

Now, what she didn't tell you - is that we have also decided that doing things together, while fun - might be hazardous for our health. We seem to lose 1/2 a brain each when we are out and about - unfortunately it's always the same 1/2 brain - if you can follow that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 pm

I still giggle about our trip back home. I think on three seperate occasions we swept past our turn off. I don't know how many times we said, with wonder in our voices...I don't recognise this part of the road. Let me tell you part of the problem. Beth suddenly said, I don't know why the theme from Dragnet is running through my head. I replied, that's okay. I'm singing, Candida in mine. We agreed that in each others company our !Q's drop. I used to wistfully say, I remember sex....Now I'm saying, I remember when I had a brain....
Now for the good news. I FOUND IT! Now I can stop cleaning. :D It was in a drawer that I had gone through last night. But I decided, in my cleaning frenzy, that I would wipe out the bottom of the drawer. The card was on its end against the side of the drawer. I be so happeeee :D :D :D
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Yippee - we can go back to Mexico!!!! And you didn't call and tell me? You left me thinking it was still gone. Ah, just wait and see if I even use 1/2 my brain next time!!!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:52 pm

and I be so happppppppppy for you!!! Whew thank heavens don't do that again ok? :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:25 am

I got sweaty palms just reading your post ... and laughed out loud at Sunshine's image of all of us all us women of a "certain age" storming the border crossing with a battle group of RVs. LOL! Sounds like a great chick flick, don'tcha think?
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby dcricket » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:21 am

:shock: Good Lord Sparkle...never a dull moment eh? So glad you found it. :D
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 am

I have had serious nightmares not that bad, Sparkle! That's one of my worst fears----getting stuck in some other country and not able to come home!

SO glad to hear you found it! (By the way, what IS a green card, anyway?) Do I need one of those, and a driver's license, and a passport to cross into Canada now?? I think I will just stay in the good old USA!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 am

Ah, Life's little adventures.........when they turn out followed up with laughter....make the campfires so much more fun and welcoming...

Tina and the furry ones
BirdbyBird

Postby Sparkle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:18 am

No Soos, all you need is your Drivers Licence, either a Passport or your Birth Certificate proving you were born in the USA. I was born in Scotland. A Green Card is a Permanent Resident card. For 30 years I had never had to use it. In fact I kept it in my Safe Deposit Box in the bank. After 9/11 and the tightening of security I have had to produce it. Only when I get near the Mexican border, or to leave Mexico. The reason that Beth and I got nervous when they kept coming back to ask another question was that the Goverment doesn't like people with no stick house. In fact there was a proposal that we all (including American citizans) HAD to have an actual house. Good Sam has been up in arms about that. It just makes the government uneasy that we are wandering the country and they don't know for a fact where we are.
I'm sure some of you read Tioga George's Blog. When he was coming back into the USA from Canada he made the mistake of telling them he had no physical address. They kept him for hours and he ended up having to call his congressman. And he's an American Citizan!
Sparkle

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:12 am

Okay, I KNEW it was waaaaay too long without a Sparkle adventure. You had us all thinking you were getting boring. So glad you found it - maybe you should tattoo it on your arm - wonder if they would accept that? I loved the vision of a bunch of
"older" ladies in our RVs storming into Mexico to rescue you. Sounds like there might be a movie in there somewhere. Please try and keep your adventures in the USA.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:25 am

Oh, no, Karen, her adventures won't be staying in the US now that she found it. We enjoy the trips to MX way too much. She's already planning some of the things we'll do next time :) Maybe that can be with you when you come this way in March. Or are you scared of going there (or anywhere) with us? LOL
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to General Talk