Non traveling DH

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Non traveling DH

Postby Redetotry » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 pm

I've been agonizing over this for some time and see I am not alone. DH and I do not travel well together. He doesn't mind me going alone but thinks I should want to fly wherever...ick!! He just doesn't understand the road calling.
Even thought he says he doesn't mind me going, we have fur babies that he is willing but not really able to care for because he gets so distracted by his work plus, I've always done it. I also take care of running the house, paying the bills etc. But I keep thinking if I don't do this now it might not be possible later if one or the other of us has health issues.
I would love to go somewhere for part of the winter and would like to be someplace cool all summer. I can't tolerate the heat and humidity so summer is a bad time for me in Illinois. Since I don't have a RV I could do rentals at various places. I've heard there are good prices available. I'm just not sure how well I would do without at least one dog with me! I also have a lot of guilt feelings.
DH does have a sense of humor, he said one time if he went first I wouldn't bother to bury him I'd just buy a RV, fling him in the back and chuck him out along the way!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Re: Non traveling DH

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 pm

You are preachin' to the choir heah, sistah! :D Sounds like you are married to my hubby. We bought the RV after he retired. We were going to travel and with the RV we could take the naked pups with us. I guess he doesn't care for it. Every trip has been suggested by me, & he acts like he can't wait to get home. He agreed to drive it down to the beach for me, & has come down and visited a few days but goes right back home. I want to be free to travel on my own. I will take my dogs with me tho. I have felt guilty for being gone so long, but I'm working thru that in a hurry. :lol: Your DH does have a sense of humor! That is a good idea. If mine goes first, I'll put his ashes in a coffee can & make him go! :twisted: :lol:
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Getupngo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Every time I looked at RVs on line, my DH would stand behind me and snort! LOL. He was the original non-motorized recreational kinda guy -- hiking, backpacking, river rafting. I was kinda winning him over when he died suddenly four years ago. I was just lost, but remembered what I had been wanting to do. So I got me an RV and bring his picture with me. Now he HAS to go. LOL.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:25 pm

I feel for ya Sisters, bummer the guys do not want to travel. I get the feeling that they did not like to camp when they were younger. I guess I am blessed because mine never wants to sit still!
I have a question, do these hubbys have a work shop they can't leave behind? What keeps them from wanting to explore? If they only want to sit and watch TV you can do that in a campground while YOU have fun.
Sorry you gals are getting your hitch itch squashed!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby avalen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:39 pm

well, when I was married, (the second time) he did not like to leave home either.
It was actually his beer in the refrigerator and he knew he couldn't drink and drive.
I did all the driving as it was, but we did get a cabin and was able to put beer in
a cooler to transfer to the refrigerator at the cabin. That was only an hour on the
road at a time so that was all he could handle. When I did road trips by myself he
ranted and ranted and I think it was because no one was there to take care of "him"
It wasn't until after our divorce and I moved away from Colorado that he went to
AA. Oh well, I'm a free woman and do as I please now. If I ever got envolved again
it would have to be a man that would let me do as I please, and have a lot of money
:lol: cause I don't come cheap.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby oliveoil » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Well I must be totally & completely weird---------as my Hubby & I enjoying doing everything together------- & to me it would not be any fun traveling without him!!!
Life is way toooooooooo short for me----to not be enjoying our time together!!!!
We have so many friends male & female who are divorced or widowed & are so lonesome-------& would be thrilled to have a mate-----& I feel totally blessed that each year gets better & better for us-------I would not have fun traveling with out Hubby------it would have to be something I forced myself to do if I was alone!!
We share everything together----& are best friends &---I just can't even think what travel would be like with out him!!!!!!
Or what any part of my life would be with out him!!!!
We enjoy & feel very very blessed to have each other to spend each day with!
I would have no enjoyment traveling alone--with out Hubby along!!
But that is just me!
oliveoil

Postby asirimarco » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Really lucky I guess. Both DH and I love to travel. We have had motorhomes since 1972 when we got our first 24' Pace Arrow. Also like to travel by car, and air. Both of us are good travelers and can make lemonaide out of lemons. Some of our best memories have been at the time disasters. We love finding different and strange things. Go out of our way to find them. OUr first major trip in a motorhome was in 1978 when we drove 25,000 miles from California to South America with five kids. If you can do that without murder, you can do anything. But we also like going home after a trip and both keep busy with our hobbies when there.
asirimarco

Postby dcricket » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:21 am

DH doesn't go with me very much either and he doesn't mind me heading on down the road. He's just a content to be a home body, watching sports, or out on his boat fishing all day and night. I don't like leaving him behind, but I enjoy my RV trips when I can go. Main reason he doesn't go is because he works construction. No worky no get paid. So, we do a few weekend trips to the desert each year, Santee Lakes a couple times so I can enjoy my RV and he can enjoy the fishing and we can enjoy each others company. We discussed "bucket list" desires on our drive in the car last weekend. Truly amazed me he was content with nothing in it. I was like...well if you think I'm working my tush off all these years, just to retire and not be able to have someone to go with and share my Mr. Toad wild adventures, you better thing again. :evil: But in all fairness, I don't think there is much DH would say I couldn't go do if I wanted to and I know he'll come along when the time is right and so long as there's a place for him to drop a line in the water :)
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 am

I started this last night but then the battery got to low. So here goes this morning.....The short answer is...if all else doesn't work out....get your own MH, TT or whatever, take the pups and go yourself. The wonderful thing about the internet is that you can do a lot of banking and financial stuff from a distance. And lets be honest, DH needs to know how to take care of a few things. We have all heard the stories of the "wife or husband" who passes away and the remaining spouse laments that they don't know what to to because the other partner did it all. It is all learnable skills. You do know the concept of "learned helplessness", right?
The reason I have the small MH is so that I can take the pups with me. The two cats - DH seems to be willing and able to handle.
Unlike Oliveoil, my marriage has never been all that close..our ships passed in the night long ago. I have always been independent... and after 30 years, I have no plans to change. The two kids are through college and successfully on their own paying their own bills, living in their own cities and I get to visit. For health reasons, my body does not tolerate cold well and for someone who enjoys being out hiking with dogs or paddling creeks, Ohio winters are just one long bad case of cabin fever. I have my own retirement funds. I will not be able to travel as much because I have to finance it all myself but I will go. Or if I choose not to, it won't be his fault.

Tina and the fuzzy ones who travel with her
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 am

Well said, Tina. ...
Cedar518

Postby Acadianmom » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm

The joke around here is that if my DH gets senile I'm taking him camping. My neighbor says that if her DH gets senile she is going to make him wear a tux because he wears jeans everywhere.

My DH is a semi-retired farmer and he has the things he likes to do and traveling in an RV isn't one of them. When he decides to go somewhere it's there with no stops and back. It doesn't matter if it's 20 miles or 500. When we hauled horses we had a truck with a 100 gallon gas tank in the bed. I finally put a porta-pottie in the saddle room. He is no fun to travel with.

I don't think I would like to full time. I like to go places but am glad to come home, just not always so soon.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby oliveoil » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm

I don't think I would like to full time. I like to go places but am glad to come home, just not always so soon.

I agree-------- we have traveled about all 50 states over the years & many areas more than once------ in about every kind of motor home or TT------- but we both were ready to come home after the trip!!
We had thought once we wanted to full time--------then we regained our senses--as that would NOT work for us!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :o :roll: :roll: :) ;)
oliveoil

Return to General Talk