Getting seasick here

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Getting seasick here

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 pm

It is windy, big time! They are calling for gusts up to 45 mph, and we are rocking! The pups are napping, they aren't concerned in the least. Maybe they think we are in a big rocking chair. It seems like we are pretty much in for it today & tonight. We don't have jacks, we just level it with the ramp things under the wheels. It always bounces when we walk thru it. Do jacks make a big difference? Well, I hope we don't get blown away. Being right on the ocean doesn't help. So, how strong does the wind have to be to actually flip you over? :lol:
NakedPupsAndMe

Re: Getting seasick here

Postby Mollysmom » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Hang On !!! HA !!!
It gets spooky sometimes, doesn't it ????
There've been times that I worried I'd blow over too. I don't know how hard the wind has to blow before you blow over, but I'd think it'd be a really really big wind ! I know that I've been in 60 mph winds and am still upright.
The jacks make a big difference in my RV - it's super bouncy inside if I don't use them.
Good luck :D
Mollysmom

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Yes, I think stabilizers make a big difference. I always take time to put mine down. they have "sand pads" on the bottom but I still put boards under them.

They aren't true jacks as you should not try to change the level of your camper with them... simply stabilize. I never mind rain when I'm camping, but I don't like wind at any time, either home or out camping. I'd be crawling in with those cute pups and taking a nap with them. :D
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Figure hurricane strength to even think of blowing over - and then you would be evacuated :)

I am getting very used to the wind here - now when I rock and roll, it lulls me just like your dogs don't mind it. Sit back, relax, and I wouldn't worry - we get gusts to 45 here all the time. Now, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't drive in them - did once my first summer out - yikes - never again. Well, I'll change that statement, too - if I was getting away from a hurricane, I would drive in them - just slowly and carefully.

I don't have stabilizers - some people swear by them - some say they don't see a difference - I think it might depend on the type of rig. I know the big 5th wheels that use whatever it is that lifts them up so they aren't even sitting on their tires say they don't feel the wind at all. But that's more than stabilizers.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm

It's very windy here in FL today too, but I'm in the stick house, so don't notice it until I look out the window. Hope it blows through quickly for you, so you and the pups can get back out and enjoy the beach.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby snowball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 am

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that wondered if the 5er could be blown over!!! and I do feel the wind and it can be scary!!! and yes the stablizers help!!! hate it when dh doesn't but the back ones down
sheila
snowball

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:59 am

think you'll be good to go unless you see a witch riding a bicycle looking for ToTo ;)
hunker down, and as far as stablizers, I know most people swear by them. I have an A so always use my leveling jacks which have the pads, but I too use big blocks of wood to keep them from sinking in dirt/sand. Hope the winds die down soon.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 am

We made it!! Yay! Didn't get blown out to sea & we didn't see any witches. :lol: Right after dark last night I heard a terrible noise. Sounded like the back of the RV was blowing off. Even woke up the girls. :o I had to go see what it was. As I rounded the corner of the RV I heard that slamming noise again from under the RV. Someone's lounge chair had blown under it. I was very relieved to see that it was a chair, not the back of the RV coming off! :lol: Today is partly sunny, & a lot cooler, but so far no gusty winds. Thanks for letting me know we wouldn't blow over. I was only half joking when I posted. I didn't think I'd actually turn over, but I was not digging all that wind! :twisted:
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby relaxing101 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 am

So glad that you did not blow over! But I know what you mean about feeling like it could sometimes.

Our first RV (2002 Class C) had hydralic jacks and I definitely was spoiled by them so as soon as we bought out next one (2004 31 foot Class C), we immediately had the hydralics installed. Fortunately this one also has roll-down stabilizer jacks built into the back bumper. When we had our damage to the rear of the RV last year, they told us that they do not make those types of bumpers anymore but the insurance company told them to fabricate one with the built-in jacks. They did a marvelous job.

I would not want to RV without my hydraulics or the stabilizers.

Have a good day, all!!

Bonnie
Life is a maze full of choices! Choose your path wisely!
relaxing101

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:57 am

I have a 31' Class C with the long overhang in the rear. It really rocks and rolls in the wind but I find it kind of nice - like being in a rocking chair. I was thinking of adding aftermarket jacks until I saw two rigs when I was in Wyoming that had problems: one got them down and they wouldn't go back up, andn the other couldn't get them down. Decided i'd just put up with the rocking.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Excel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 pm

I have the built in hydraulic jacks...wouldn't be without them.... 8-)
Just my opinion....
Excel

Return to General Talk