To "B" or not to "B".....

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: To "B" or not to "B".....

Postby mtngal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 am

THANK-YOU, thank-you, thank-you for all the thoughtful and encouraging replies......

Beth – There's an RV show in Victoria TX this month, the big one in San Antonio was canceled until 2010. I've been to a couple dealers now, the Net is great, but seeing in real life is better!

Carol – wow! you guys had a house full on your West Coast trip, wish I had known you then.

Trudy – yes, my pros and cons list, very helpful.

Echo – I'm not fulltiming, mostly will “travel” with stops for camping and exploring, I couldn't do a
“B” for full time either.

Cheryl – Storage is not my top priority, I usually travel lightly, but do think a little trailer is a good idea for a back up when needed, although it would then require storage of it's own when not in use!

Soos – All those systems, yikes! converter or inverter? I will need a good owner's manual.

Sparkle – no full time, but would like to make some cash, have you ever seen “traveling” massage therapists at campgrounds/rv parks? and no, I don't plan to work out of my rig.

Evie – Ain't it the truth, so many rvs, so little time (& money)!

Liz – Thanks again for sharing about your RT. I'm glad to know what the “170” means in your signature.

Janice – How to pay for it all is about as big a decision as which one to buy. Used would be my first choice too, but have been learning that in this economy there are deals on new. Big disadvantage to new is additional ins and reg. On the other hand, this could balance out the saving from repairs.....

AlmostThere – I love the PW Exel, very beautiful. I'm going to look this week, it just might me the one!

Sheila – Have considered looking for massage jobs at resorts/spas in the future, ideally for traveling, I would like to carry just my "chair".

Leslie – I remember when you went to pick up your new RT, glad to hear you are happy with choice!

Thanks again gals! I can't wait to get out there shopping again!
Diana
mtngal

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:40 am

I started with a B and went to a 30' C pretty quick. Altho the B was small enough to drive into town, etc. I found it a pain to have to disconnect everything and make sure everything inside was secured just to drive into town for groceries. For me, towing was the better solution. Once I'm hooked up I don't have to disconnect anything until I hit the road again. I had a hard time decided on having a slide or not. Slide: more room, more weight, something else to go wrong. I finally decided no slide. My Gulfstream Ultra Supreme has a lot of room even without a slide. This particular model has THREE closets and a pantry plus outside storage like a Class A. I stayed away from 5th wheels and TT for safety reasons. If I pull in somewhere and anything makes me uncomfortable, I can just walk to the driver's seat and leave - in my jammies if necessary. I kept thinking I should have gone with a 24' to 26' until I went fulltime. Now I'm soooooo happy with my rig and there's plenty of room for me and the two Labs. Good luck with your decision. I would suggest taking a list with you so you don't get distracted by glitz and not notice you only have one tiny closet.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Barbzeee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Diana, Thanks for the sweet comment.. I sure do try to help out when I can.. as I do know sometimes how difficult it is for the Sista's to capture everything..some are in such a hurry..they zip through..others well..like me some days can't find their glasses ..(on top of their heads) but with the recaps..I try and hit as many as I can..some days I miss a few..but then again..those are usually my late nighters..

For me I went from the Sublime to the Ridiculous in Rigs... I've had Conversion Vans, TT..never 5er or class C..although almost..and sure wished I had given that one a try..but I've been in Class A's for over 25 years.. my first TT was a YellowStone..it was cute as a bug..but remember I just did Dog Shows..so I drove and parked and set up... the only thing I didn't like about the tag alongs was unhooking and hooking and then of course having to stop to go potty..backing up was never a problem (brother had fleet of trucks and I was the spare driver every now and then) yes, I had a CDL license (how's that Echo) anyway..my big thing is for you..Driving by yourself..a factor that a lot sometimes don't think about and RetiredHappy (Karen) said it..."When you need to move you don't have to even worry..you just pull right out even in Jammies.. also driving and stopping you really never have to get out..to let anyone know you're alone..pull the curtain and there ya be... Of course now if you are going to be working on the road..you need the large rig for all your "Stuff" and the C is perfect with the slide out..cozy too and yes, like Beth you can even put a scooter on the back..or have a tow car..I'd do the 4 down rather than those ramp types pain in the butt to hook on too.. As for cabinets and pots and pans.. now, I've gotten a tad bit lazy in my ole age.. I have a few size pots not many too much work..and today lots of great quick fixes to throw together..my thing was frig..I need space in that... Italians need big fridges.. and hey MicroConvection..cause my oven below is storage for what ever.... Also a thing to add..levelers.. I like pushing a button..got tired of placing boards down checking the level bubble in, out, in, out... heck with that..How did I ever do all that..?????? anyway..they are very convenient.. I just, if it's a dirt area..place my fat boards 1x2's down under where the levelers come down and then drop the levelers..and ta daaaaa I'm pretty much level.. well, that's another issue you have to think about with the larger rigs..even the Class C's..OH goodness hope I'm not confusing you...

Pooker (Evie) was right a lot of the sales people really haven't Rved much....and they'll sell you anything.. just about..and today it's buyers market.. but do make your list..and fire away with questions.. We are all so anxious to hear what you finally do decide... Just like if we were all with you...ohhhh flashed in my brain...just like the Verizon commerical...here comes the crowd of us LOL

Ok..I've gotten carried away..must be in overdrive with my coffee..by the way..the Apple Strudel was toooooo good !!!

Good Luck and keep posting and asking...

God Bless

Zeee

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:39 pm

There's a couple here at the park I'm at - the daughter does massages here in the summer - has a massage chair or table (I've never seen it) She was doing a lot of facial massages and I'm not into that and her prices were outrageous (to me lol) That said, she was getting some customers - and only came and stayed with her folk a couple weekends a month. So, yes, there would be potential business at parks.

Doing it at a park without your own equipment - I've never seen one that would have the massage table. Oh, and if there was someone here to do full massages with a massage table, I'd be a customer! So it is an idea to keep in mind.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sparkle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:52 pm

LegalLady reminded me of something Sharon posted a long time ago. That was "Don't sweat it. It won't be your last rig." That was so comforting to me. And she was right. I'm now on my third. Just don't do anything that would make your rig un salable. Like a previous Forum member planned to paint all the cupboards orange! That would have been a turn off for me. So if you buy a "B", get a used one because they lose value the moment you drive off the lot. If at some time you find its too small, well you'll have had the use of it for maybe a year, so you trade it in for what you want now, or sell it privately and buy your next dream.
Sparkle

Postby MsBHaven » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Everyone has given you good advice. I do love my B, but it is all about what will work best for you. I wanted a B because I mainly travel alone, on the spur of the moment, with just one dog. I'm "traveling" more than "camping". Like Liz, I usually spend my days driving and sight-seeing and am in the B just for sleeping. I believe I could spend several months in it with no problem, but if I were to become full-time and wanting to stay in one spot for quite awhile I think it might be too small. I have learned to travel without much "stuff" so a B works great for me - I still have extra room in cabinets that isn't being used. If I wanted to take something extra along I could mount a flat rack onto the back by using a hitch mount - for instance, I could carry a scooter on the rack.

I just returned from a quick Florida trip and I continue to love the ease of driving and parking the B.

Good luck on finding the RV of your dreams.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Previous

Return to General Talk