To "B" or not to "B".....

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

To "B" or not to "B".....

Postby mtngal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:19 pm

...that is the question. These kinds of decisions are the ones that make me wish for a partner to share in the process. Short of that I will bounce my ideas off all of you! So, I have been reading, researching and window shopping, and really like the 170 Roadtrek. (Read 17 feet long!). The things I like about it are the go anywhere (just like a truck) ability, the stealth like quality, good mileage, cozy, just right for one person, small carbon footprint,
good for travel (which I do alot of between tx and ca), and very good for day "camping". The draw backs are the size, not for two people (even friends, although my DD and DGD could be managed no problem), not so much storage, can't carry my kayak (but bike would work), and finally couldn't bring my massage table or even a massage chair. So that's that. And then there is the topic of finances, don't see much talk about those on this forum, maybe a topic for another post. Gosh this is a really big deal for me, I do LOVE to travel, explore and camp. Camping in a "B" would be luxury to me! Maybe I will read Hamlet again, I just might find the answer to my question! Thanks for listening.
Diana
mtngal

Re: To "B" or not to "B".....

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Diana,
I love the little B's - even if they are a little too small for me and traveling full-time. It's really hard to say what would be right for you. I looked, and looked and looked before I bought. I came close to buying a Road Trek- as I didn't know I would be going fulltime - I was stopped because I couldn't see my 2 dogs in that space for any extended period of time. And then I went back to looking, looking and looking more.

I suggest you try to get to some of the really really big rv shows where you can really get inside lots of the different B's, B+'s and small C's - check out lots of floorplans.

hmmmmmmmmmmm - if at all possible, join us at The Rally in Albuquerque - I would think most of them will be there - they were last year in GA.

I'm not saying to buy new - I like the price savings on used, myself - but at these big shows you can go in and out of lots and lots of models - and I'll bet one will "talk" to you. Just be careful - some of those big rigs talk to me also - but that's a different kind of talk - kind of like walking into a mansion for me- and I'll oooh and aaaaah- and think momentarily, "what if" - but to be honest with myself, I wouldnt' want to live in or clean or have the upkeep of one - same for lots of the big rigs and me :)

If you can't get to a big rv show - get to an rv lot (or several) and walk through as many of the rigs as you can. That's how I started - used and new - to get ideas of floorplans. The right floorplan for me can be the absolute wrong one for you - even in the same brand.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Diana, Liz, could probably answer all questions you have on the Roadtrek 170, thats what she has and has had for several years now. She and i, made a two month trek in it and we did well, we'd made short trips to see if we thought we might be able to handle that long atrip. You just have to work together . Oh, and we both had our furbabies with us. I love hers, and would like to have one myself. Good luck in whatever you choose. I think this is the time to get an r.v., if you're in the market for one.

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi !
It's a tough decision !!! I drove myself and everyone I know crazy :D
I think it'd be good for you to make a Pros and Cons list - is it really importanat for you to take your kayak and your massage equipment ? If so, you'll want something bigger or maybe you can find some sort of carrier that will work with the Roadtrek. Try to figure out what you really want, then try to find a rig that fits your needs. Maybe you can tow a little trailer behind a Roadtrek to carry your kayak and/or massage stuff ?!??
Good luck :D
Mollysmom

Postby Echo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Ya know it's funny? Even when I was planning to go full timing by myself a B just wasn't for me. It's just to small and I couldn't imagine trying to do much in such a small space.

At the time I didn't want monster size or even big. I was leaning towards a 24' to 26' TT. Then Kelly came home and she is planning on going full time with me. So we started looking at bigger TT and after meeting Beth and seeing her C? We started looking at C's. Beth for the life of me I can't remember the other woman's name who workcamped with you in PA with the B. But in checking out both her B and your C, I really liked and was impressed with yours. Kelly kinda likes the larger B's but even she said it might be a squeeze. HA! That girl is a packrat like her Gramma. :lol:

Now Margie loves her B and Liz loves her's too. It's just the right fit for them. But Liz doesn't full time, she's into more trip/destination camping. Liz spends more time her her's on longer trips. And I do know that there's lots of people who full time in them.

I have looked at so many TT's and C's now that my head spins. We have saved the booklets on the ones we liked best and thought that they would work out for us. I have found so many C's that would work so well for just one person and not be to big or a problem to handle.

Diana, like Beth says? Go to the dealers and check out the smaller C's. They will give you more room than a B. But will still be small emough to drive and park easily. Go to any shows that ya can and you will have the chance to look at so many of them. Different makes, models, floorplans and of course price. It might be a good idea to look around dealers first to get an idea of price. Both new and used, first before the shows. ;)

If ya find one ya really like? Look at Craig's List and the various online RV dealers to see what ya can find like or similar and of course a better price. Right now is a fantastic time to buy as they are all dying to get customers!!! Which is good for anyone looking to buy now. Will be keeping track of your shopping and looking forward to see what catches your heart and says "Me, I'm the one for you"!! Have fun.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Orchid » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Welcome to the "trying to decide what I want club", Diana. I'm about ready to commit myself--to a mental hospital that is. If I weren't full timing, and if I didn't have a dog the size of a small pony, I would really look into the B's. If storage is the only thing holding you back could you pull a small storage trailer behind a B when you needed to? Just a suggestion. I, too, like the small C's and they are my first pick but not likely what I'll end up with, the pony problem again. Good luck! Cheryl
Orchid

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 pm

I am also looking. I have several dogs so I think a B would be too small. Ideally a C with a slide would be great, but you sure get a lot more room for your money with a TT. I would be going alone to so it's more about floor space & storage, than extra beds. Most of the TT's I've seen have bunk beds, which I don't need. It is confusing isn't it? I'll be interested to see what you chose. :D
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Well, now.....decisions are NOT me! I first bought a used, 1971 Glenelle 19 foot TT, for almost nothing! (About $850, I think, if I remember---maybe less.) I LOVED it, and in fact I still LOVE it, and still have it. I think it has as much room in it as my brand new one which I will talk about later. It's wired for 30 amp, has a new electric water pump, hand pump in sink, too, small water holding tank, shower and toilet, sink, stove (no oven) propane furnace, 3-way refrigerator, tons of closet space, and two full beds including dinette/bed. I just tore out the split copper pipes that someone must have left water in, and bought the new pex stuff to replumb it with this coming summer. It had 4 new tires on it (double axle---something I insist on) a new awning, a complete screen-room that attaches to the awning. I used it for two years around here at various campgrounds and at my own pond. I more than got my money's worth out of it. Just learning how to hitch up and drive it was something amazing!

BUt, I doubted the shape/condition of the axles, frame, and some of the skirts are rotting through. I really didn't feel very safe on the roads with it for going any distances.

So....I attended an RV show nearby, saw a brand new 27 foot Hornet Hideout TT for nothing down, and just 125 per month! (For the rest of my life, probably!) I was smitten with it....had triple bunks in the back and separate queen bedroom with walk-around bed and oodles of storage space.....and everything else I wanted. Bought it! Used it for one year, decided that nobody was going to camp with me, so why have all that wasted length to haul around and TRY to park? So, last year I downsized to a 19 footer, same company, same exact interior minus the bunks and master bedroom. PERFECT for just me and Molly! AND, should someone EVER wish to stay with me, it has a flip sofa which makes into a really comfy double bed, a double bed in the back, and a pull-down bunk over that bed with tons of storage space if you don't need the bunk. Dinette also makes into a really nice double bed. Bathtub was high on my list of prioroties, and this has a great tub and shower and toilet all enclosed with a door. GREAT furnace, electric/propane refrigerator, AC, which I will probably never use unless I go south or west, stove with oven, microwave, propane water heater, great stereo, and sufficient storage spaces. Also an inverter, or is it converter? Something electrical I need! I put two batteries on it so I have enough electricity to run my generator just twice a day.

I wouldn't have known I didn't need all that space unless I tried it first....so happy now with what I have this time! Way easier to pull and park and back up! Amazing that just a few feet can make so much difference.

Good luck making a decision....be sure, as Beth and others suggested, to go to RV shows and walk around in as many models/types as you can! Take your time! Making a list is a great idea, too. What MUST you have? What can you do without? Etc.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Sparkle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Face it, there is no perfect rig! I loved my Class A, but it was too old to tow anything, so I was limited to where I could go. No parking in small towns for instance. Then I bought a truck and a 31ft trailer. Now once I'm parked I unhitch and go anywhere I like with the truck. It was important to me to have a desk for my laptop and printer. In my first trailer (which I totalled, another story) I had to take out a chair. In this one I took out a stereo unit. But I made it my own. Are you going to go fulltime? Are you going to work out of your rig, ie, massages? In that case you need something much larger than a B. Neither of my trailers had bunk beds, but some of them, the bunks could be removed making room for your massage equipment. One that I looked at had a double or queen bed in one room and bunks in a seperate room. That would have been ideal for you I would think.
Sparkle

Postby Pooker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 pm

We have just hit on the reason why there are so many different rigs on the market! The absolute, perfect rig probably doesn't exist. On the other hand, there is probably more than one configuration that would be almost perfect for YOU. I've had everything except a fiver. Even been there and done that with a tent. I always, repeat, always make a huge list of must haves. I make a form with all the information needed and I copy it. Take the form every time I go rig hunting. It's amazing how easy it is to be sidetracked by a gorgeous color scheme and forget to check the shower size; or not notice there isn't a place for pots and pans. A form or list will keep getting refined to fit your needs.

Initially, when I downsized from a large "A", I yearned for a "B". Then I realized that storage was important for me. So I started looking at C's and discovered that even rigs of the same size are not all equal when it comes to storage. I test drove one adorable rig that had just one, small outside storage locker that wouldn't even fit a folding chair. I loved driving it. I loved the layout inside. Except -- no closet either! I reluctantly passed on it.

My suggestion is always shop, shop, and shop some more. By the time you have checked out a dozen rigs you will know the right questions to ask and you will have a definite idea of what is important to YOU (not the salesman who has never camped a day in his life, and not the BIL who thinks he's an expert).

Good luck.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Liz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Diana and I have been chatting about my Roadtrek experiences, so I won't repeat it all here. Good advice from all. Look at many models, manufacturers, floorplans. It might be a good idea to rent one if possible to "try out" a particular size. Surprisingly, although my needs are few, my Roadtrek has plenty of storage space...I haven't even used it all. As Carol said, we managed 2+ months together in it with two dogs. But, as I told Diana, the next size larger with would have been easier with two people. If I were full-timing, I would probably look at a B+ with a slide or small C like Beth's. When traveling, I don't spend that much time inside to worry about space. We drive, stop to sight-see, then stop to camp, hike, cook outside, campfire or whatever...then shower and go to bed. Above all you need to decide what will work best for you, as Beth said, everyone's needs are different. It's a lot of fun looking and it gives you ideas...when the right one comes along, you'll know it.

I got a good deal on my Roadtrek buying used from an individual, and have not regretted it. I wouldn't have been able to afford a new one. I was just patient in my search until the right one came along, but by then I had narrowed down my choice. Try varying your internet search too. Interestingly enough I found mine by searching for Dodge Campervans rather than "Roadtrek."

Enjoy the journey! (Don't go the Hamlet way..."whether to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or by opposing, end them." :lol: )
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Yeah, picking a rig and paying for it? Big decisions. I started out with a 1989 Winnebago LeSharo -- a 21-foot class B. BIG BIG mistake for me. I never felt safe going any distance in it because parts are almost impossible to get. So I got a 29-foot, 1995 Jayco Class C (no slides). It had two small closets on either side of the queen bed and I realized that if I'm living in a rig for extended periods, wardrobe space is important to me. I would have kept the "C", but it developed a roof leak and in the spring the ceiling & walls were saturated. So I traded it and got what I had been coveting -- a Class A.

Didn't go new ... bought a 35-foot, 2000 Holiday Rambler with 17K miles on the drive train for $47,000. Over a 10-year contract it's $450 a month. Being able to travel AND pay for my rig is a challenge -- especially when gas prices skyrocketed. Then there are annual registration -- which in some states can cost quite a bit -- and insurance, plus AAA or Good Sam towing insurance. All in all, it can be a pricey hobby.

But I'm happy with my rig -- it has two slides, a nice large wardrobe and I installed a washer/dryer unit. I set it up to tow my Honda CRV and I'm happy as a clam. I like having the space to spread out -- it's like being at home wherever I am. I spent more than 6 months of 2008 in it ... so I'm getting my money's worth. I did, however, have to rebuild the transmission in October.

This does put a strain on me, because I'm single & retired on a fixed income -- maintaining a stick house as well.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 pm

I've been on many two week vacations with only a carry-on to hold my clothes, so for me I think a Class B is ideal. I can easily travel with minimal 'stuff'. I 've set my sights on a Pleasure Way Excel TS. They have a wider body than the Roadtrek and have heard they sit further off the ground. Granted I'm not planning to full-time. If that were the case I think something a bit bigger, like a Winnabego View, might be nice size-wise. One slide. I'm not thrilled with their floorplan, though, but really like their kitchen area. I think I'd probably travel the way Liz does. See sights along the way, then camp for the night. I'm not to interested in staying in one place for very long. But plans can change. :)
AlmostThere

Postby snowball » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:01 am

it took us years to decide on our 5th Wheel. We would decide on one then go to another show or another dealer and rethink. I totally like my home. I feel comfortable in it it gives me the space I think I need!!
That said each person has different needs and different uses for the rv
we full time and my feeling were you are taking me out of a space that until the kids all left was to small and putting me into a RV then it's got to have some of the things I need like a closet!!! room for pictures and so on so it is what you need
you didn't say but were you planning on useing the table to earn money as a massager? Then you do need that. Trudy had a good idea in pulling a trailor would that pull a trailor? These are all questions that you need to ask and answer
Good luck!! we will listen won't we Trudy?
sheila
snowball

Postby LegalLady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 am

I went through this process the last couple of years. DH and I had a 32' TT pulled by his Chevy Silverado diesel. Then he died unexpectedly. I just knew I would never be comfortable with that setup, so I sold it. Then I waffled back and forth between A, B and C, mostly B and C. In the end, a B was my choice - I wanted something small I could go anywhere in and take local weekend trips and not worry about where to park. I wanted the larger bathroom, so my choice came down to a late model Roadtrek 210P. Never thought I'd find it at a price I was willing to pay, then I did indeed find it last summer. So even though I wasn't planning to buy just then, I jumped on it because it was exactly what I had decided was right for me.

If I were full-timing, I would definitely get something bigger. But at this stage of my life, my B is perfect for me. I think Bs hold their value better than most, so if I want to sell in the future, I think it'll be pretty easy.
Leslie
Boston, MA
2007 Roadtrek 210P
LegalLady

Next

Return to General Talk