New Year's in the Desert, January in the Tower

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

New Year's in the Desert, January in the Tower

Postby oregontocal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Wednesday we had our Second Annual New Year's Eve boondocking at Mountain Palm Springs in the Anza Borrego Desert, near San Diego, CA. Five of us returned from las year and met several other interesting people. Two returnees had everyone over for drinks and snacks in their small motorhome - wonderful time getting acquainted with everyone. We didn't make it to midnight - think most of us turned in by 10:00 since it got dark out there so early. But, New Year's Day dawned with a beautiful sunrise.

Yesterday several of us drove into El Centro to shop and do laundry, and I had to find a replacement cover for the bathroom roof vent. Ta da! Success. And, with help from someone camped near me, I even managed to remove the one broken in a hailstorm near Las Cruces, NM and replace it with the new one.

Last night my friend Lou drove out around midnight and we stayed up until 5:00 a.m. watching a wonderful Quadrantid Meteor Shower. We even talked several other people into joining us out under the stars. The sky was beautifully clear and the meteors were spectacular--one of the best showers I've seen in a long time. The weather last night was beautiful, but this morning was cloudy and windy. So, sleeping in until around noon wasn't a problem at all. :lol:

I'm now parked up at the Desert View Tower http://www.imperialcounty.com/phototur/photo16.htm for the month of January, doing five hours/week of workamping in the gift store/museum for a site and hookups. I needed a place to stay close to San Diego to get some dental work done, and the owner here needed a little help one day a week. Beautiful view outside my window, at least on one side. This really isn't an RV park, by any means, but the price is good, and I can play the piano in the store as often as I'd like.

View from my bed

That's Interstate 8 in the background with vehicles climbing the grade up from the desert

Another view from my bed

The Safeway trailer to the side of my rig is my windbreak since the winds up here get pretty fierce at times.
oregontocal

Re: New Year's in the Desert, January in the Tower

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Great pics and what a life....staying up all night watching meteor showers...gotta love it.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Sparkle » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm

You do the most interesting stuff, Chris. I will never forget Paragon Gap and the Summer Solstice. I hope I can get the day off for that this year.
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:35 pm

Love the pics, Chris. I wanted to get up during the night for the meteor showers - and I did get up - but, unfortunately here we had clouds come in over night with wind and rain. Ahhhhhhhh - I went back to bed. Rocked and rolled myself back to sleep, eventually.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 am

Chris
you can't complain about your view. So pretty!!
Enjoy it when you head back to Kansas are you going to go through Quartzsite? It would be nice to meet you
sheila
snowball

Postby dcricket » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:07 am

Chris how neat. I don't know how many times we've driven by that and we've never stopped. Glad you have that trailer as a wind break. I know how windy it gets out that way. Have fought it many times. Loved the pics, and am so glad you are doing so well.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 am

Chris,
Nice workkamp job. That view is interesting,... no trees, just shrubs and all brown rock. Our country has so many different "landscapes"... I'd like that spot for a while myself!
Cedar518

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 am

Neat pictures - thanks ! It sounds like a really fun time.
It was cloudy here too so I couldn't see the meteor's - maybe next time :D
When do you head back to Kansas ? I'm sure you're anxious to get into your little house !!!
Mollysmom

Postby oregontocal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 pm

I need to stick around the San Diego area to get some dental work done - some crown lengthening and a couple of crowns for the root canals I had done in Portland in May. I'm not looking forward to it at all, but it will be nice to be able to chew on both sides of my mouth again instead of just one.

I'm heading back to Oklahoma on February 8 or 9th because the Astronomy Club Banquet and Auction is the 7th and I'd like to see how much the quilt brings in. Had it machine quilted in a Random Star pattern in Cherryvale, Kansas for the grand total of $78, which included the backing fabric (beautiful blue with extra fabric for binding) as well as the batting. I did the final binding while at my mom's last week. You're right - I can't wait to move into the little house, but this trip has also been a lot of fun. We'll probably do some more mud cave exploring before I leave as we've only seen about four caves so far.

Finished quilt, folded

Don't remember if I posted them yet, so here are a few pictures from our last mud cave trip.

Hollywood and Vine

Chasm Cave entrance

Inside Chasm Cave

Cave opening

Chasm Cave skylight

Arch

The great dog chase
oregontocal

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 pm

That is a beautiful quilt! It should bring lots of money at the auction.

Do be careful in those caves! Looks fascinating, but makes me a bit nervous. :roll:
Cedar518

Postby mtngal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Really beautiful work on you quilt! and I can't wait to visit the Tower. Hope it's a great month for you...
Diana
mtngal

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Beautiful quilt !
Love the pics of the cave - I think it'd be sort of spooky :shock: !!!!
Enjoy your time :D
Mollysmom

Postby Liz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm

I like the colors & pattern in your quilt. The cave is an interesting place to explore...Roe and I would enjoy it.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:56 pm

The quilt is gorgeous, it should bring a nice price at the auction. I'm with some of the others, the cave looks a little spooky. Think I'd be looking for rattlesnakes out there. i have this thing about snakes :shock: :)

Carol
Carolinagal

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Looks like Lou is wearing a hard hat? Or did you bicycle to the caves?
AlmostThere

Next

Return to General Talk