Best/Worst states for taxes

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Best/Worst states for taxes

Postby Echo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 am

I've been up for awhile and when I opened my laptop I found that it had shut down for whatever reason. In signing back in I got sidetracked reading some MSN stuff. Found this article and thought it was interesting and just thought I would post it in case anyone was interested.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Ta ... spx?page=1
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Re: Best/Worst states for taxes

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 am

Interesting - however, it has flaws also - as they give Alabama as really low - but that is mainly because of their really low property taxes. If you don't own property there - you won't find that to be true. You need to weigh so much - especially those of us on the road full-time. It was a report like that one that had me liking 'bama for my residence, however, it's ended up costing me money :o I'll most likely be switching to a state with no income tax - probably SD - since it's so rver friendly.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby dcricket » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Glad I saw this post...DH and I were talking of where we want to live when we retire. Were thinking of Alabama as we found some awesome homes right on the lake(s) and property taxes were so cheap. Guess we'll have to do some more research eh?
Thanks Echo and Beth
Time to head off to church and a wonderful afternoon with my daughter.
:D
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Echo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Hey Beth, TN has no income taxes either which is totally kool. But they have their ways of getting money out of ya for sure. And if Kelly and I ever get to go full timing or at least on the road I might end up with TX. TN would be harder to work out the logistics on than TX for mail forwarding and renewal of license and tags. Only 7 states as the article said that have no state income taxes. But SD is an idea too. Just kinda need to figure out where it would be easier to get to or use.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Donna, if I was buying AL would definitely be on my short list. Don't take it off - it's just not a great state for a full-time rver who doesn't really "live" there :) That's why I said we all have to look at just what we'll be doing there before we change residencies.

Just like many use TX as residency when full-time, but it doesn't make sense for me - unless I were to decide to reside here for part of every year - even in an rv park - as you have to come back the same time every year for inspections.

Yep, Echo, you have to look at the whole picture. Alaska is supposed to be a great state for retirees - but do I want to live in that cold? No way LOL
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Don't forget every Alaska resident gets a PFD check every fall! The last one was pretty sweet!
AlmostThere

Postby soisew » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for posting the article. It's interesting how they say things balance out. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I think it really depends on a person's lifestyle and which taxes they end up paying. Lots of RVers choose to set one of the income tax free states as thier legal domicle. RVers also tend to go to states that have lower property taxes on thier rigs. Our example is we saved $1000 per year on property taxes on "Phae" with our move from NC to NE. Now that the rig has aged the numbers are getting even better. On the list NE & NC are about in the middle ranked at 19 & 22. I think it also depends on how much fuel you use, if you smoke, and purchase of misc. goods. And, lets face it -- a lot of people decide where to live not only based on taxes. We all tend to live somewhere we love and are willing to pay higher taxes to do that.
soisew

Postby snowball » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 am

we choose SD and it is RV friendly we full time so are rarely there.
they have lots of mail forwarding we use Dakota my way I believe any way
she is really good
sheila
snowball

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

What's a PFD check??
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby mtngal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:19 pm

uh oh, did I read "property tax" on rv?
Diana
mtngal

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:32 pm

I wondered about property tax too. The only fee I have in FL on my RV is its tag. I believe the check she's talking about in Alaska is from oil revenues...all Alaska residents get one, so I was told.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Different states have different ways to collect on vehicles, rv's etc - some charge for license plates based on the value of the vehicle/rv, some it is a flat fee - so yep - it's important to know what taxes they'll charge you that you'll be paying - cuz they might be considered high on some, but low on the ones that matter to you - and vice versa.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:15 pm

PFD checks.... see:

http://www.alaska-pfd.com/

yep,..... very sweet!
Cedar518

Postby soisew » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Motor vehicles of all types are charged for taxes in one way or form in many states. Some states just call it something else and collect it differently. In another state I once resided in vehicle taxes were called "ownership fee", might as well just call it what it is! In NC the RV was taxed and billed separately in Jan of each year, yes based on book value. In NE the tax is collected when you get your tag/plate each year, again based on value. The good news is -- it is deductable off you income tax form if you live in a state that collects them. I've never investigated if there are any states that don't charge a tax at all for an RV but I suppose there are some.

Speaking of odd taxes...some states that have many farms and ranches had, have or are going back to taxes all livestock on the place, some even think about taxing your dogs and cats...now that is tough. And more ranchers are getting fired up because of a fee that could be charged on beef and dairy cattle because they cause too much methane gas! The fee is high enough it will put many people out of business. You think the price of dairy products are high now...just wait for that to happen! And tell me how getting $ from cow gas the air will be cleaner? Do ya think the cow will pass less gas if they know they are being charged for it?! Hmm, that all paints a rather laughable picture...a real gas huh!!!! Maybe we can give beano to cows!

Speaking of cattle...I get rather befuzzled when the news or ad on TV displays cows in reference to beef and always you see Holstiens, Gurnseys or Jerseys -- cattle that are only produced for milking...City kids are growing up thinking all cows are black and white spotted. I guess the advertising world thinks a red or black angus, long horn, short horn, herford, brangus,etc aren't cute enough for ads! I have to admit though that Jerseys are about the prettiest cows I've ever seen, Holstiens aren't so cute but angus are really handsome and long and short horns are awesome.
soisew

Postby kelpie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 pm

I have lived in Ohio for 30+ years and we don't pay vehicle taxes at all except for sales tax when you buy one. You pay your annual registration fee ( license plates) which for my class C is about $65 and I live in one of the more expensive counties for them. We don't have a personal property tax but we do have plenty of others _ I think we are ranked in the top 10 most taxed states.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Next

Return to General Talk