New Mattress for the 5er...

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

New Mattress for the 5er...

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 am

Well, we finally bit the bullet and threw out the camper mattress and got a new reg. Queen one...so much better....just remembe to measure the bed area before buying.... ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Re: New Mattress for the 5er...

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 am

New mattress huh...maybe Ernie will be smiling more with a better rested sleep. Dan got a new air mattress for his side, he had a slow leak and by morning it was almost flat! The zippered caseing for the mattresses went belly up so we had to order a new one. We are both sleeping better here too.

Yep make sure you measure a RV Queen is actually a Full Bed!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby soisew » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am

We need to replace our mattress too. We have a queen and it's actually a real queen size (60x80). For now we have a tempurpedic pad on top and love it. I don't know what kind we'll end up with. hubby does not like a sleep number.
soisew

Postby dcricket » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 am

Glad you got your new mattress. I lucked out with the bed in my rig. Sooooooooo comfy, and it is a real queen as well. I think we'd sleep out in the RV versus our stick home bed, if we could. The thought of getting up in the a.m. and trudging to the house in the cold just doesn't do anything for me. LOL Here's wishing you two lots of warm, cozy, comfy restful sleep filled nights.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby dpf » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:02 am

Our double in the TT was a real double...fitted sheets fit just fine and the queen in the 5er is a regular queen too. It's been the sofa bed and the dinette bed that were always as pain in the butt to get fitted sheets to fit right. I ended up taking sheets that I didn't use in the house anymore and altering them to fit in the TT...and wouldn't you know that they didn't fit the couch in the 5er and it doesn't have a booth dinette...so they ended up staying in the TT when we sold it. Guess I have a new sewing project...but I'm out of extra sets of double sheets. So it looks like I'll be hitting some rummage sales this spring to see if I can find a good set for a couple of bucks. I always have to chuckle when I look at rigs that say they sleep 4, 6, 8 or 10. You could sleep that many if they were all pygmies
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 am

A new mattress can help you sleep better. Currently I have a queen mattress,
cheap and it sort of has a saggy spot in the middle. When I got rid of the sofa sleeper
I kept the mattress out of it, its a firm, full size and for awhile I had it on top of my
queen but it was just too high so I folded it up, covered in plastic and put it in the
shed until I can get rid of the queen mattress and redo the bedframe, don't have to
do too much to it, just cut off a couple inches on each side, but thats another project
on another day.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:55 am

good for you on the new mattress! I had a regular queen in my own last 5th,... it was an experience trying to get it "upstairs"... I didn't have a platform in that camper, so I put a regular bedframe there with a board bottom and then the mattress. used to store stuff under the bed. That was many years ago in my other life.
Cedar518

Postby Mollysmom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 am

I bet it's nice to have a new mattress !
The one on my bed is pretty uncomfortable, so I got a super padded mattress pad and a memory foam mattress cover - they really helped and my bed is OK now. If I could just find a good pillow I'd be set - I think I've purchased about 100 pillows in my lifetime, I'm always searching for a good one - I think I get it and a month later its not right anymore. Maybe my head is exceptionally heavy ?! HA !
Mollysmom

Postby Sparkle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am

I've found I need a really soft pillow. If its too hard I wake up in incredible pain in my ear. Its as if my ear has gone to sleep, but its really painfull. My son has the same problem. Anybody else get that?
Sparkle

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:54 am

Me too, needing a very soft pillow - can't have a hard or too thick of a pillow - too thick and my neck goes out of joint. So, the best pillows for me - ancient ones LOLOL - have to break them in for years.

One of these days I have to see if there is any kind of mattress I could replace mine with - with the cut corner, etc, it won't be easy - but I'd love to have a real pillowtop in there!!!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cookiemom » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Beth,

Your ancient pillows sound like my husband's. They are so flat they are beginning to get longer. I call them "caterpillows" since they inch longer and longer, like a caterpiller.

It's embarassing when he takes one with us to a hotel. I make him hide it under the luggage, so no one sees it.

But I guess if he's comfortable....

Debbie
cookiemom

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm on a Mission to find a foam latex pillow, it has lots of tiny holes in it. They last forever, soft under my ear but firm enough to hold my head in the right position. If I can't find it local I know I can get it through JCPenny catalog .
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 pm

YESSSSS, Sparkle! How well I know that ear pain! I finally got me a memory-foam contoured pillow last year, I think at WalMart, and it has solved the aching ear problem! I now panic if I get somewhere for an overnight and I have forgotten it!

My matress is the flip sofa one in my TT, (rather than the double bed in the rear which makes me feel rather trapped) which I leave in bed form all the time unless I am expecting company, with two 2 inch memory foam matress pads on it! That's 4 inches of sinkable-into foam! Two 2 inchers are so much easier to haul around, if you need to move them, than one 4 incher. I LOVE that bed, and can't WAIT to get back to it in the spring!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Pooker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Well, well - this must be the time of year or something. I just bought a double mattress for my queen bed in the rig. The corner bed was so hard to tuck sheets and blankets around because it was tight up to the walls on 3 1/2 sides! The double mattress works perfectly and is a bit easier to get bedding on. I brought the nice queen one that was there in the house and replaced my old Soma water tube mattress. With my thick down mattress pad, the one in the house is working out just fine. I won't know about the rig's comfort until Wed. when I head out to the FMCA rally in Indio, CA. I put my thick pad (queen) on top of that one, too, and you'd never even know the mattress was a different size.

I'm lucky that my corner bed doesn't have the corner cut off like Beth's does, so a regular mattress "off the shelf" works just fine.
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Excel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I think I mentioned that I bought my RV used (having found it on the internet) from some wonderful people in Oklahoma...It had been immaculately kept. It is the rear side bed model with the rounded corner. Not having any experience with a class C RV, the mattress felt rather hard to me but I thought that was the way things were with RV's & their corner beds. I put a padded mattress cover on it & bought the Travasak which helped me to not have to struggle putting sheets, etc. on it & that seemed to help. When I took my Born Free to the factory in Iowa when there was a big celebration for the Owner's 74th birthday....while mixing with all the other BF owners, I noticed that one gal was having a new mattress put in her unit. I always thought it wasn't possible, especially for my floor model as the door area just didn't seem large enough & that's the only way to get one in. (As a matter of fact I don't know how they got the new one in & the old one out as I wasn't there to watch when they did it). But, I talked to the staff & they said 'no problem'....So I had them put in a really good quality & nice ultra (padded-top) mattress. I put the mattress pad over it (to keep it looking fresh & new...but who ever looks at that ???) and came home. I think it cost me around $400-$450....which included installation & departure of the old one...BEST money I have ever spent. Better yet, my daughter had a full size 2-1/2" foam memory pad that she didn't want anymore, so I cut a couple inches off to make it fit my bed. Now I have the softest, most comfortable bed I have EVER had anywhere. I'd rather sleep in my coach than in my bed at home. And better yet again, I took the extra foam that I'd cut off & set pieces of it inside my upper cabinets so that nothing bangs around in there while I'm on the road. I have to remove it when I open a cabinet, but nothing ever falls out either...A truly win-win situation. The other thing I just learned is that, even though those side beds have that what looks like a cut off corner, they can still be turned over & turned from front to back to even out the wear....at least mine does. I just advise having someone help you cause they are heavy & it's awkward...but I did it (just to see if it could be done....Boy! was I surprised & glad I had made the decision to try it...). So safe & memorable travels to all of you, with hopes that you have a comfortable bed too...
Excel

Next

Return to General Talk