Need Your Opinion

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Re: Need Your Opinion

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:27 am

Just to reiterate - most lurkers are people who read the forums but never join. I have no problem with that. But if they click to join, that is showing an interest to participate - and I'd rather have the requirement at that point, like Liz said, that they join - as that's what she did. If you make the decision to click that join button, why bother if all you want is to continue reading the posts?

I know for a fact of people who have taken email info from forums, and have pm'd for private purposes. And while we, so far, are not having that problem - this is one way to try to keep it from happening - as someone who joins becomes privvy to that information.

Several of the members who have joined and have not posted have been contacted by me, and several have been contacted by Cedar. The ones I contacted have done one of 2 things - either posted, or never replied to my messages. Why should I think if they don't even have the courtesy to reply (Oh, I pm'd them - and the DID read the pm) - why do I think they might have an alterior motive?

I know that we will be implementing something here - and it won't be to stop people who genuinely need time to join - or are interested in reading first, but I'm also hoping it might prompt some of those who are reading but never once have posted, to realize it's time to get their feet wet. If they don't want to - then maybe it's time for them to read without being privvy to our private information?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mtngal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:54 am

Beth, you have raised an interesting question and one that goes back to basic values of the forum (as I understand them) to be open and welcoming.
That said, this forum has evolved into a very close knit group, almost like family, certainly friends. I like the part requiring an introduction. And it is cool to read the list of members and recognize so many names. It almost has a small town feeling. Even if they aren't friends, they are somebody I would recognize and say hi to on the street. Just my humble opinion, seem like the forum will speak for itself in that it's personality will bring members out of the woodwork. It did for me!
Diana
mtngal

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I haven't posted for a while. I've been busy starting a business & doing rescue work with my Chinese Crested dogs. I do come on once a week at least & catch up but I haven't felt comfortable posting since my attendance here is limited right now. I hope I don't get kicked off but if I do, maybe I can rejoin when I have more time to be dedicated to it. There may be some changes in my life soon where I'll be able to do more RVing. Right now I am camping til the 16th of the month. A few weeks to the beach again & I'm going have a bunch of questions.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Excel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Well, I’m going to try again!!! (Lost the first try in ‘outer space’….) We’re back to Word & copy & paste!!! :roll:
As per my experience with this website I continue to get thrown off the site when I try to post and the big page comes up saying ‘Forbidden’, etc. , etc. Beth has tried & tried to help me but it’s a glitch in my computer & neither of us has figured out how to ‘fix’ it. (However, I have read about the single group & checked that website which appears to be similar to this one & had no problems whatsoever on it :? ….??? ) Anyhow, the only way I seem to be able to access this site without problems is to pull out my older laptop . The problem with that is the keyboard is small & I have a heck of a time trying to type on it. Sometimes I’ll type in Word, send myself an e-mail, go pull out the laptop, access this website, copy & paste the post . It’s frustrating & time consuming !!!
Anyhow, what I’m trying to say is…because of the above, I don’t post very often but I try to access this website regularly….I can’t tell you how deeply I was touched when Barb sent me a Happy Birthday message & others joined in….It was the nicest & most appreciated ‘gift’ I could have received….brought those darned old tears to my eyes…This website means the world to me & like others I try to read every bit of it as often as I can get on….and I do try to post ….would love to post a pic….but I’m sure that would REALLY throw my computer into a tizzy…… :o
I don’t know if others have the problem I have with accessing & posting, but I do have confidence in Beth & her opinion, after all, she put this wonderful site together for us. :D I do think that sending an e-mail to those that are MIA’s is a good idea…but that’s just my humble opinion...As far as private information about anyone who has joined this group...well, I think that should be 'off limits' unless you are a 'contributor'...even if you only post once a month. The RV club (for owners of Born Free RV's is set up that way)...Anyone can look but has no access to personal info...) So that's my 2 cents worth....
In the meantime, it is NOT because I don’t want to be involved :? …it is NOT because I don’t have an opinion ;) …(however, sometimes I just don’t have anything interesting to contribute)… :? but I will try harder to post more often cuz’ I don’t want to not be a part of this group….I luv this site & feel like others, I may never meet some of you ‘in person’….but I feel a ‘kinship’ with you all the same…so keep in mind that sometimes I may be one of what appears to be a ‘lurker’, but I’m really a MIS…..(missing in SPACE)….Sorry this is so long....just wanted to be clear about my situation.... :(
Safe & happy travels to you all
Charlotte
’99 26’ Class C Born Free
Excel

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Bethers wrote:The ones I contacted have done one of 2 things - either posted, or never replied to my messages. Why should I think if they don't even have the courtesy to reply (Oh, I pm'd them - and the DID read the pm) - why do I think they might have an alterior motive?

I remember a couple of months ago I did a "welcome" post and included several names of people who joined but never posted.... encouraging them to actively join the group...some of whom we actually see online reading posts here,... That welcome message from me was totally ignored. I'm sure they aren't shy as I've known them in other forums. So as I said before,... they apparently, after 6 months, do not want to participate. A very wise person said once,.... "a person does what they WANT to do...'
Cedar518

Postby dcricket » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:25 pm

Liz you posted my thoughts eloquently. I agree with your post to the t. I like the idea on cheking in on people after 6mths (or sooner as some did with me during my absence in posting elsewhere - made me feel like people cared, and prompted me to get back in the flow of RV fellowship.) Some tend to feel funny about posting if you don't have an RV or you're going through life crisis, or have an RV and it is parked more than driven resulting in not much to add in the way of adventures (like me). I'm not sure what the difference is between becoming a member and not, other than not being able to post, as you can read what's going on in forums without having to join. In my govt job one of my collaterals is that of a Security Manager, and the training we receive on how easily it is to acquire info on people and use it for unsavvory character's gain, well, it would certainly make you think carefully about some things shared. Case in point Blog sites and Facebook, MySpace accounts. Some people don't realize the inherent dangers in putting detailed specifics. Okay...I think I'm starting to wander off the trail here.... In summary...I think Liz hit the nail on the head. ching a ling a ling...my two cents thrown into the coffer. :geek:
Last edited by dcricket on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 pm

I agree we should have restrictions. I too thought Liz had good suggestions.

Excel I was getting the forbidden message too after I logged in and I found if I just clicked off the site then came back on I was still logged in and able to access. I always copy my messages before I hit reply just in case. Hope this helps.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Great thoughts from everyone. I LOVE this forum. I don't post often but I read often. Since I am still working full time I often do not have much to add to the conversations but I like reading about birthdays, celebrations, good things that are happening to my online bffs and I feel sadness with you when you are going through hard times. I want to reach out with a hug.

Alll that said, I believe nothing is wrong with having restrictions. Beth you are a terrific manager of this site and for that I am grateful. I am sure that what ever is decided will be in our member's best interest. There are some unsavory people out there and we need to protect out members.

Thanks for asking and beginning this discussion. Doesn't hurt for us to think about these things.
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Echo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Very, very interesting post Beth. And I really like some of the thoughts behind the postings. Lurkers bother me too. Not the people who come to read the public postings. The ones that bother me are the ones who join the membership and never join "us". They can read to their hearts content without ever joining. So why join if there is no "joining"? If they don't feel comfortable about posting? Well there's a quick way to get comfortable. Maybe someone feels like an outsider? Well they are making themselves outsiders by not posting. If they want 'inside' then all they have to do in 'join in' on the posting. Could be they don't know anyone here? Well he77 excuse me!! Aint gonna get to meet anyone if they don't 'join in'.

It's been long enough that I don't remember much of joining. :oops: Honestly don't don't know if there was a list of rules or not? I remember something about all of us getting along, no arguing, no fighting, no back stabbing but I think giving someone razzberries was allowed!!!! :lol:

How much trouble would it be to lay out some guidelines or rules that someone has to read before they click to join??? Lay it out that they have one week to post an intro and three months to begin posting before ya check on them, then maybe check again at six months.??

It wont stop someone who is determined to cause problems or trouble. They could join and make a mess in a weeks time. Just a couple simple PM's could cause loss of computer or laptop. I'm sure we have all read the stories about someone opening up the wrong email and getting everything wiped out.

As to why someone would ever want to track anyone one here down?? He77 if I know but there are some really strange wack jobs out there. Who's to say that maybe said wack job doesn't like little black dogs like Shade? Or green eyes? Or red hair, brown hair, blond hair, gray hair or silver hair. Maybe they don't believe women should be out driving RV's on their own. Good grief I sure ran across enough truckers who were quick to tell me on the CB that I should be home taking care of my husband and having babies!!! LOL Who knows or can really understand why some nut does what they do.

Everyone has had some good ideas. And I'm sure that Beth with take the best of them and do what she feels is right for the forum and all of us Sistahs.

And we all know that if it was a requirement that you have to have an RV to join in and post with the rest of the Sistahs?? I sure wouldn't be here.

Tickles the crap right out of me tho. This post sure brought some 'sleepers' awake and to the fore front.

Welcome to a couple and for the others!!! I for one am so glad to see ya post and to find that your doing ok. ;) We've missed ya.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby cookiemom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:57 pm

I agree with some of the opinions that some people are shy and it takes a while for them to get the nerve up to post. Many times I will type out a response to something, then re-read it and think I sound goofy so I just don't post anything.

I do enjoy reading all of the posts and hope that no one feels I should not have joined. With time you will wish you could shut me up, but it just takes me some time to feel comfortable enough to post frequently.

Debbie
cookiemom

Postby Nasoosie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:06 pm

OMIGAWD, Debbie! Nobody could be any goofier than I am when posting! That's one thing I truly love about this forum...nobody seems to give a hoot---or else we are ALL goofy enough to appreciate all the others! I have always felt good about myself, even in some of my stupid modes----like I cannot understand letters (initials) for the life of me! But people usually humor me and let me know what on earth they are talking about without making me feel dumb! I like to not feel dumb, even if I may be!

When I first joined, I felt as if I didn't understand what others were thinking or doing, and didn't know what my role was in certain rooms-----but, I prevailed, and now I think I know what is going on, most of the time!

Don't ever be put off or wait until you think you will be a perfect correspondent----jump right in, and I promise you will not get put down, but rather encouraged and supported by all these fantastic ladies on here!

Don't ever think you have nothing to contribute----just because you are who you are, and you have lived a while, you have something to contribute!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Debbie,... we are very glad you are here! And you do post. The people that brought the discussion up are those that "joined" months ago and then never posted an introduction. I believe it was stated then that intros were required. But some just plain didn't/won't do it. Hmmmm..... and their reason might be? ?????

So Debbie, post when you can and we will always be happy to hear from you .... about anything,.. anytime! :D
Cedar518

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, I've read thru everyones posts and agree something should be done about those who joined months ago and haven't done an intro....makes me wonder about some what their purpose is here....All I know is that Beth will do what's right and you never know we may just finally hear from these folks.... :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:58 pm

All your input will be taken into consideration for any new rules that are made.

For your information - what we are doing is now a topic on another women's forum. Please, let's keep things on the high road here - as we have from the beginning. I understand that many over there do not realize that this forum started because many on that forum had messages simply deleted, and many went to log on and simply were no longer members - without doing anything they knew to cause it - and without any warning. That said, we wish them all the best - just found another place where we could call home - and hopefully continue to be in contact with so many great women. Never once have we said or expected anyone who joined here to leave that group. And never once have we yet deleted a post - nor do we intend to - for having differing views. As our rules state, we simply want everyone to respect each other and to take that into consideration when posting.

Now - please, let's not make this more than is necessary - and I hope those who belong to both forums don't find it necessary to take sides. Never wanted or intended that.

As to the new rules about membership - they are simply to protect our members. I have no problem with anyone reading all the posts here. But if anyone joins, that does give them access to private information - that we do want to keep private.

So far, in the time this forum has existed, management has not found it necessary to delete a single post. Management has also not found it necessary to edit a single post.

And if any of you have trouble accessing this forum to post, I would hope that you would contact the forum or any member of the forum to get help. One thing we women are - is helpful :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Echo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm

That's a real shame Beth. I think we all know that your opinion posting really wasn't intended to insult or offend anyone.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk