Vacation Rentals

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Vacation Rentals

Postby mtngal » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Just wondering if any of you rent your "stick" homes as vacation rentals while traveling? Insights or ideas to share? Some of you know I am in CA about half the time, so am thinking about renting my condo on a weekly basis when I'm not here in TX. I do have a couple people who would be willing to "manage" the project for me. :)
Diana
mtngal

Re: Vacation Rentals

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Diana,
I don't - but I do know a couple who bought a house in Fredericksburg, TX to rent out - and I've stayed in it. They haven't had any problems - rent it like a b&b through a service and works well for them.

Just be careful that you get anything special or personal out of the house when you're not there.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 am

When I went fulltime (last February) I turned my house over to a realtor to rent for me. The rental pays the mortgage, my storage unit, the property taxes and landlords insurance as well as the realtor's fee. He charges me 10% of the rental price and is worth it for me not to have to worry about anything when I'm on the road. I left my appliances there but noted in the rental agreement that if anything broke, I would NOT replace it. I put all my personal stuff and furniture in storage. Don't think I would want people using my furniture altho maybe a B%B wouldn't be too bad. Just take out anything that is really important to you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 pm

You would definitely want someone you trust managing for you. My daughter tried to rent out her doublewide mobile home to the daughter of a co-worker who she thought would be a safe choice. The results were very disappointing: poor payment record, damage to the interior. She hasn't dared to rent it again.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to General Talk