Smallest 5th Wheel?

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Smallest 5th Wheel?

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:14 pm

OK, I've been promising a pic of this 5th wheel. Last night we looked it up online, said it's weight is only 2000 lbs - wow - think how easy this would be to tow!

This next pic shows it with it's tow vehicle:

When I first saw it here, I thought it was old - just cuz I didn't have a clue there was anyone making these today. Well, I was wrong - these are NEW! I love seeing that there are alternatives - kind of like back to the future - when families could have trailers they could tow with their cars. How kewl.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Smallest 5th Wheel?

Postby avalen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:22 pm

I've seen other small fifthwheels but can't remember the name brand, one was pulled
with a chevy S10 pickup and the other was pulled with a ford Ranger. Scamp makes
a pretty good little rv from what I understand, but of course I don't have first hand
knowledge of that. It would definately be easy to tow.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MsBHaven » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:00 pm

That's a really neat 5th wheel. I saw some tiny travel trailers loaded onto a truck hauler going down the interstate today. Guess maybe manufacturers and going smaller now - and that's a good thing.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Oh, how cute is that? I'd love to check out the insides. Guess I'll google it.
AlmostThere

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:56 pm

I considered Scamp when i was shopping for my Chalet. I didn't have a truck at the time for a 5th, and the TT was way too small. The Chalet won my heart with the big dome skylights and all the windows. If I'd had a truck I'll bet I'd have gone with that. Cozy! The floor plan for that 5th is at :

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/1 ... Plans.aspx
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:15 pm

When I was first looking, if this had been out I would have considered it. 5th wheels are easier to tow - and I could have done it with a small truck. I'm so happy with what I have, that it's not a problem - but sure is a nice option to have - and it's cute as the dickens.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:24 am

My Sister's boyfriend has one and I tell ya it is WAY too small!!! It is made for someone that is very short and not a packrat. Dan could not go inside because he is 6'1" tall and he would hit his head!! My sister hated that thing after she got back from Alaska.....they broke the axels on it and had to go back to the company and get a different one. No storage in them and the bathroom is tiny. We kept trying to get Bill to buy something else that was bigger but he's a stubborn guy and only 5"2" tall
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:40 am

Well, it is cute, but sure does look kinda' small.....and I would say it is for the "weekend camper"....cause where do you put stuff... :? I have a hard enough time keeping things organized in a 27ft. 5th wheel...with a slide.... :roll: But can see the advantages of this little one, if your tow vehicle is limited....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:02 am

I think one of the big plus marks for this little 5th is that you can do it with a smaller tow vehicle,... especially for those that might only have one income. Single folks getting by with only social security or small retirement. Couples with two social security incomes and maybe other retirement incomes on top of that are better able to afford the larger rigs. It's nice there are little rigs and big rigs,... something for everyone.
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:02 am

This is exactly what my friends from Mass had. They got from Mass to Albuquerque and traded it for a 30' Class C. They said it was cute as a button but just too crowded for two. I've seen the inside and it is really cute.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:52 pm

A packrat couldn't live in my rig, either - and I believe that has as much interior storage as I do - and for me small bathrooms are a plus - as why do I want to waste space with the bathroom LOL No, it's not for everyone, but I do believe it is a possible alternative for many of us who wish to stay small and especially for those looking for affordable - as a small truck can pull this.

As to the problems someone had with an axle - any brand will have troubles. The Scamp from what I see has a pretty good dependability rating.

With all the people getting the Class B's etc - this is another alternative, if they'd rather have a separate vehicle and still stay small and with decent gas mileage, etc.

It's a good thing we all like and need different things - and my rig is keeping me from going back to being a packrat again - ahhhhhhhh, I hope I never feel the need for all that "stuff" ever again.
Beth
Bethers

Postby SeeyaGal » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:33 pm

My Sister's boyfriend had the Scamp 5th wheel that broke it's axle, he took it back to the factory and got a different one that is bigger ( 19 ft), they like it but it really is for short trips and short people.lol
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Breaking axles traveling the roads in or to Alaska isn't new. They can be hard on anything with wheels, no matter what size or brand.
AlmostThere

Return to General Talk