Conversion to HDTV

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Conversion to HDTV

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:08 pm

When all the TV programming converts only to HDTV will we no longer be able to get TV with our antennas?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Conversion to HDTV

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:34 pm

That's correct!
AlmostThere

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 pm

I think it goes by your TV not the antenna. Your TV has to be able to receive a digital signal. If it is an analog TV you will need a converter box. They are making everyone crazy with all this. You can go to http://www.dtv.gov and it will tell you more than you want to know. :)

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MsBHaven » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:38 pm

I believe Martha is correct. I bought a 19" HDTV for Ms"B"Haven and I love that TV! What a great picture and more channels. Well worth the money in my opinion.
2013 Thor Chateau Citation Sprinter - 24' 10" - 2 slides

Ms"B"Haven (Margie)

3 Chihuahuas (Buddy, Annie, Maggie)
MsBHaven

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 pm

The conversion is from analog (old over the air by antenna) signal to an (over the air, new) DIGITAL signal.....HD- High Definition is the next level up...this is a new signal received by satellite to a cable company or Satellite Service........Feb. 17,2009 is when the "analog" (old signal) goes away and everything goes to the digital signal (new).....Most new TVs already are digital...but if you have an older TV you will need an converter box to receive signal......New TVs are either Digital or High Def.....you can get the digital signal on both........as far as your antenna goes....if you have a Digital or HD TV, you should be able to use your present antenna without anything extra....but they do have digital antennas, if you feel you need one....If you are not sure, have the antenna tested for digital signal......( I knew all that tech training I received from working for Radio Shack would pay off someday.... :lol: )

Okay, hope this helps.....this is how it was explained to us a couple of years ago when we bought our 17" digital TV.....HDTV is great and the picture is wonderful.....but digital TV is cheaper :lol: and the picture is great too......
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 pm

And, to make this more confusing - you MIGHT need to upgrade your antenna - some are fine, some older ones might need to be replaced or upgraded to make sure they bring in all the signals. (Or so I was told by someone who should know.)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:23 am

Gee, maybe that's why the big tree demolished my antenna a few days ago--it knew I'd have to get a new one anyway. :lol:
oregontocal

Postby Sparkle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:37 pm

What I read was if your antenna is painted, white, grey or whatever, you'll need a new one. If its silver metal color you'll be fine. Maybe they were pulling my leg...I'll believe anything.
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:44 pm

What if it's white, but in pieces? :roll:
oregontocal

Postby Sparkle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Then you is chit out of luck!
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Since the only thing I use the TV for is watching DVDs, I'm just going to remove the antenna and do something with the hole that's left (plant flowers?). The TV will be nice in the house anyway, and I'll also have more storage in the RV.
oregontocal

Postby Getupngo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:13 pm

You're supposed to be able to connect your RV non-HD TVs through the hdtv converter box, but I couldn't quite figure out how to do it. I'll try again after the THAW (my rig is snowed in)! :lol:
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby WickedLady » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I bought my converter box, the Artec T3AP Pro, thru solidsignal.com It can be used either 12V or 110AC and has the pass thru that allows you to get the stations that are not going digital. With the government coupon it cost only a small bit for shipping.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:28 am

Thanks for this info, Mardi......I have a converter box, but it's AC powered, so, if I am boondocking and need it, I can't use it! (And that would be the ONLY time I would need it, as my AC TV has a digital tuner built in!)

I didn't think far enough ahead....I've had this digital converter box for over a year now. I have one 12 volt analog TV I can use while boondocking, and will now need to order a 12 volt converter.

Sigh...it's always something!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Soos,..... run your generator!
Cedar518

Next

Return to General Talk