MS Internet Explorer internet security breech!!

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

MS Internet Explorer internet security breech!!

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:58 pm

I run IE 7 on my computer and my dil emailed me that there is a security breech going on and MS is suppose to automatically download the fix for you but it never happened for me. I did it myself and here's the link to where to go to download your fix.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/int ... =212501006
AlmostThere

Re: MS Internet Explorer internet security breech!!

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:49 pm

It'll only be automatic if you have your computer set for the automatic downloads - and that will only happen in a few more days - meantime, yes, they have the patch already and if you use internet explorer for your browser it's important to get the patch. Go into tools on your menu bar on the top of your screen, and from there click on Windows Update - check for available updates for your computer - and if there are several - you don't have to do all, but you should do this one for sure.

If you have a newer computer that is using Vista, you should be able to just type windows update into your menu bar - and bring it up that way. (Not sure exactly where you type that - but I know you can do it that way with Vista.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I've already downloaded and installed the patch. I went to Tools, .... as Beth said. Only took less than a minute. Of course did have to re-start to finish the job. For now the security breach seems to be on music downloads,... password snagging. I do download music so I'm glad I got that patch as soon as it was available. I haven't downloaded any music in a couple of months so I hope I'm ok.
Cedar518

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:17 pm

I'll download the patch altho I use Mozilla which I understand wasn't having problems. I love using Mozilla - so much less to worry about.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Echo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah I was reading about that. I use Mozilla 'Firefox' so I'm not to awful worried. But??? I do use IE when I want to play a couple games that I like. They just don't work with Mozilla so I have to use IE. Bummer, I will have to get that patch too. I would about die if something ate my laptop up!!!!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby oregontocal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:35 pm

I'll second (or third or fourth) the Firefox recommendation as I haven't used IE for at least three years. Haven't needed it for anything because Firefox is excellent. Guess I just like the idea of non-proprietary software. Microsoft has enough money anyway.
oregontocal

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm

What Echo said. Games don't work with Mozzila and I love my computer games. My neighbor was talking about it as he's a computer guru and they use it on their work computers. Seems to be a good browser for businesses, though.
AlmostThere

Postby oregontocal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:39 am

Hmm..have never had a problem using it for games.
oregontocal

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:23 am

Well I use IE 'cause I'm ignorant about the other possibilities. Thanks for the heads up, I downloaded the fix.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to General Talk