Where's Liz? The Ocala National Forest

Talk about anything under the sun! Just remember to be respectful of others.

Where's Liz? The Ocala National Forest

Postby Liz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Yesterday, a friend, Belle and I went to an event celebrating 100 years since Teddy Roosevelt established the Ocala National Forest. We missed the opening ceremony where I understand Teddy himself read the proclamation.

As we registered we were given a program and a souvenir pen, one of many free gifts being given by the various agencies.

There were several displays and exhibitors representing life in the forest 100 years ago. This costumed lady was a spinnin’ and a tattin’

Fresh corn meal anyone?

Children of all ages could try their hand at 19th century chores.

And making toys

Live entertainment & music

Belle pulled her little feet up under her sweater when we saw these odd paperweights.

Turkeys are making a comeback in the Ocala National forest

Mill Dam Lake…this is where I was baptized many years ago. There’s a nice NF campground near here on this lake.

More displays

The cake was decorated with a map of the forest.

Other events were hiking, kayak rides, and the burying of a time capsule. Local high school students contributed letters to students of the future.

After enjoying all the exhibits and vendors booths we stopped for lunch at Lena’s Restaurant in the forest. Lena’s is known for good New England seafood. They are only open in the winter here and own another restaurant in New England.

Inside the restaurant.

Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: Where's Liz? The Ocala National Forest

Postby Cedar518 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:01 pm

You two are certainly having a great time traveling around together. I always enjoy exhibits for days gone by. And we sometimes think we have it difficult now! Kids think they are deprived if they don't have the latest toy or electronic gizmo,.. what would they think if they only got a corn husk doll for Christmas? Thanks for a great tour, Liz!
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 pm

that looks like it was a really fun day, great pictures too
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Gentleladybear » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Liz that looked like great fun. I did nto realize it was going to turn into that kind of celebration. Had heard on the news about the celebration but they really didn't elaborate. Glad you enjoyed it, use to do a lot of camping at Juniper Springs there as a teenager and a mother.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Carolinagal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:08 pm

There you go again, you and Belle are just having too much fun. Didn't Belle get dizzy setting on the post with the banner? :lol: :lol Looks like an interesting day, your selection of pics, gave us a good idea of all that was there. You do a very good job, Liz. Now where you ate really looked interesting, think I need to hunt up some seafood, I'm being deprived up here :lol: :lol: Thanks for letting us in on your day, especially what Belle's up to.

Carol

Went back to the main area and saw, I supposedly have posted at 12 something, and that its the 15th, I am not up that late, ladies. Had to check a couple of my clocks, gosh, I'd be a zombie here tomorrow. I have early morning itis, up early my whole life, so wake early now. Good night ladies !!!
Carolinagal

Postby snowball » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:13 am

what a fun day!!! and so enjoyed your photo's
sheila
snowball

Return to General Talk